Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

nice, she happy, you happy
And looks nice!

Looks good Loneman…… :+1:

Not me, but maybe I didn't look careful enough? The earlier protos held up well with reflowing replacement LED's.

Also of note, J-Dub74 got a round #2 Q8 updated/modded to be more like a round #3 (LED's, firmware, other tweaks), not a round #3.

My bad Tom… I thought I remembered you saying there was a bubble close to one of the pads on yours… I’ll correct my post.

Thanks for the J Dub info too. That was not clear to me in the OP.

Ok…. fixed it. :slight_smile:

You seem to do that a lot M8 :smiley:

I have learned to keep my mouth shut and finger off keybord when it come to displays of memory, cuz mine are really flaky to say it in a nice way.

Yeah, I doubt I’ll ever learn. :person_facepalming: That’s why I try to always put a disclaimer in it like…. “If I remember correctly” …. or something similar. That always leaves an out. :smiley:

It’s forgivable Teacher; you have a lot going on. Wait until you get old and have a lot going on.

But I can remember where I’m going and how to get home, so I’m OK. But small stuff? Forget it. That’s why they make paper and pencils… for reminder notes. Sometimes they actually work. :smiley:

Amen brother…. :+1: … Except I don’t have to wait to get old… I’m pretty much there, going by age anyway. :wink:

I would have sworn I read somewhere where Tom mentioned a bubble in the MCPCB of his Q8. :person_facepalming: . OH well, at least I didn’t have money riding on it. :smiley:

I'm old too,so...

Maybe you just forgot about the bubble then…… check again. . :stuck_out_tongue::wink:

Did some look'n, and bubbles, bubbles, bubbles everywhere

When you look for them, it's pretty obvious. Gotta get the lighting/shadows just right to see it though. I checked with the end of flat thin metal ruler, and these definitely do bump up - by both wire connections and one spot on the edge (center of last pic).

The solder mask layer scratches pretty easy. Might be because it's bubbled up already, dunno.

This MIGHT be SLIGHTLY offtopic, but, lets say that I wanted to convert flat top cells to button top, but I wanted to use the Molybdenum magnets, would that add a substantial amount of resistance to the cells?

How much resistance would be added if I used Wire glue to attach the magnets to the terminal as opposed to solder?

Thanks Tom, I feel better now. Not because you found bubbles, but because my memory apparently is not completely shot. . :smiley::wink:

I am gonna go back and readjust that post of mine again. :slight_smile:

Glue may not get you a solid electrical connection, and I would still be worried that the magnets come off at some point. Let’s say that the method does not appeal to me…

In the Q8 the cells twist against the positive contact ring as you screw the tube on to the head.
Magnets are not recommended because of this as they could twist off the cells as you tighten up.
Solder blobbing, or solder boobing, as it has now been dubbed is a much better option if you want to use flat top cells in the Q8.
Solder “boobing” flat tops is very easy to do.
I had not “boobed” any cells myself until about 6 months ago as I was concerned about the heat damaging the cell.
However once I had “boobed” a few cells I realised it was not a concern.
Using a big tip & plenty of heat the tip is only in contact for a couple of seconds, not long enough to transfer enough heat to the cell top to cause any damage :+1:

I dont have a soldering iron. I cant really convince myself to spend $20 on a cheap station because I feel that im effectively “wasting” it, seeing as a hakko goes for like 80 or something. Apparently the genuine ones are closer to 200 here. Whoops.

Maybe you could ask a friend that has a soldering iron to boob your cells. It is not a time consuming process. And if you want to buy not a simple soldering iron (there are enough out there that would fit your needs (i would go for something with ~60W)) you can get a solid station for way less than 100 bucks. No need to spend 200 or more for somthing that you use only a few times a year! And most of the cheper irons are also cheaper if you want to buy different or new Tips. If you have one of the pricey stations you can easily pay more than 10 bucks for 1 tip. For a cheap iron you can get a set of 5 tips for 10 bucks.
I also would not goo with Gluing the magnets on the cells! Way to much risk of loosing one and then shorting out the batteries.

Any recommendations for cheapish soldering stations for occasional use?

For a station that is not going to get a lot of use you can buy a usable one for under $40 US, even under $30 US that will come with a selection of tips.
I use this one myself KATSU ® 936 Digital Electronic Soldering Rework Station 60W 312087 | eBay
$35 US delivered & find it perfectly fine for my needs.
You could just buy an iron as opposed to a station for under $20 US providing it is powerful enough for blobbing (boobing) say 40 watts minimum.
Your other option is to buy button top cells which I guess will cost you at least about $25 US for 4 (if they are high drain cells like 30Q”s or GA”s), so as much as a soldering iron.
Here you go https://www.banggood.com/4PCS-Samsung-INR18650-30Q-3000mAh-Unprotected-Button-Top-18650-Battery-p-1067185.html?rmmds=search
4 x 30Q button tops for $25 US.