Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

If I understand correctly, the Noctigon boards were the inspiration for the Q8’s nice thick copper PCB. It may not be red, but it’s functionally the same thing (only parallel).

No, it was not the inspiration, but the intention of both flashlights is the same so you end up with a comparable solution :slight_smile:

As i understand it will be a totally different light , it wont replace m43 .

Can somebody measure a Meteor ledboard?
I think it is basically the same idea, a nice fat copper DTP slab, right?

Might be old but I can’t think of anything that offers the same performance without the price going significantly higher.

Output isn’t it’s main advantage , at least for me .

It’s size is SMALL ! 7.5k lumens stock or even 12-13k from a modded one it’s the real deal :sunglasses:

It is a fat copper MCPCB in both lights. But i think that the board from the Meteor is looking a bit nicer. But the Noctigon board ( led and spring PCB) will probably cost a little bit more than the boards TF is using. But if the performance is the same (from a thermal point of view) i am happy with the TF solution.

Nope. Keep up… the bill for goods from overseas was changed June 21st to now take effect from 1-JULY-2018 :beer:

Oh, not the Meteor’s specific PCB, but Noctigons in general. I forget where the DTP copper boards originated around here though; I think I recall Sinkpads were first?

Some earlier BLF projects used actual Noctigon boards, but since then we’ve been able to get similar items from a wider variety of sources. RMM even has his own quad boards now, which I hear good things about.

It’s not a new or unique idea, really, but it seems like DTP copper boards weren’t common in flashlights until a few years ago.

Thanks!

I did watch a video review of it. Produced , I believe by a member of BLF. I did consider the O-lite and Supfire (? am I remembering them correctly?) but with the Meteor priced at $130 and being so small it was a no-brainer. The others are really priced too high for me. Plus I think I’m going to like the programmability. Until the Q8 is released anyway.

I hope you don’t mind, I took screen shots of your UI 3 info so that I don’t need to try to find the info if this thread buries it. Yeah, I know, that can’t happen with the size of it and the way it grows. :slight_smile:

Richard had them in stock so I might have it as early as Saturday. I was surprised by the numbers I saw in the review thread. I would have expected the CW version to be a hair brighter but maybe I’m missing something. The factory data shows lumens to be pretty much uniform except for one version if I remember what I saw correctly.

Man i have been away from this hobby too long the last light i bought was Ultrafire C8. Yeah slap me :slight_smile:

Can i still have my name on the list for One Piece?

[history lesson] Yes, Sinkpad were the first, they started with 20mm DTP-stars and match did emitter tests of the XP-G2 and XM-L2 with those boards and the results were amazing, to the extend that match disappointedly stopped modding because they performed just as well as his custom carefully machined massive copper led-mounts. Flashlight performance became too easy! :smiley:

Then we wanted 16mm and PilotPTK designed a board for Sinkpad that could also be trimmed to 14mm and 12mm, and there was a group buy for them. Still Sinkpads 16mm boards have that weird design while 14/12mm is now hardly used by anyone. The 10mm Sinkpad came much later. [/history lesson]

Yes, that wouldn’t surprise me at all if they do. I assumed that it was going to become “obsolete” due to other lights coming out, hence the price reduction (there has to be a reason). I use the word obsolete, but a newer light won’t make it any less bright or make the light larger. It just won’t be the newest light available. That doesn’t bother me. I still use C8s and how old is that design?

Another light similar to the Q8 will be the Utorch UT03. It has 3 xhp70. It’s priced competitively at $xx, but lacks the cool ramping firmware of the Q8. Who knows when it will be released, though. The Q8 might be out first.

I may look similar but it will have a way different beam. I have a X7 Marauder with 3xXHP70 leds and it is pure flood, while the Q8 with its hard driven XP-L leds actually covers some distance.

I meant similar in that it’s a soup can light using 4 18650 and has high output.

Sure, but only because you (and djozz) just measured the Q8’s diameter for me! :smiley:

The Meteor’s LED board diameter is 53.74mm. Thickness is 1.92mm. Copper ring is 1.60mm thick.

Hank was very kind to sell me an un-populated Meteor LED board. I hope to fill it with some hard-to-find Nichias someday… :wink:

I don’t believe there’s a publicly released price for the UT03 yet?

I think your right. Let’s all delete that price info.

That is a beauty board GD! Thanks for measuring :wink: