Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

Absolutely Positive about it ! :slight_smile:

You read my mind. :wink:

Could you please put me down for 1 ?
Thanks .

Please put me in for one. Thank you.

I really like that ramping and the double click to turbo. Is there a shortcut to moonlight?

Click on
Click hold ramp from moon
Click click high
(Right Tom?)

Yea, going into this, I wasn't too thrilled about ramping in general. The firmware already has choices of 12 mode sets, from 1 to 8 mode levels, and is quick access to your 1st mode (moon or low) via a click, and last mode (hi/turbo) via long click/hold. But once I started using ramping, I can see the versatility, I like it!

Currently there's no direct method to get to moon, accept to start ramping and stop quickly. I'm debating on changing this. From OFF when you press and hold, I could have it just go to moon mode and stop. Then to ramp up, you would have to release the button, and press and hold again. ToyKeeper and others have suggested this method as well.

Now I could also do it automatically: pause for maybe a 1/2 second on moon, then proceed to ramping up. With the pause feature, you can still release the button at moon, then press and hold again to ramp up immediately.

So I see 3 options:

1. start ramping from OFF w/press&hold, as-is now (moon mode actually has a slight delay, but still tricky to stop that quickly)
  2. from OFF, a press& hold will go to moon mode and stop there. Once ON, ramping works normally from a press&hold
  3. hybrid solution: from OFF, a press&hold goes to moon mode, pausing for ~ 1/2 second, then continue holding will ramp it up

Important to note:

• output level memory still works as usual with clicks
  • from OFF, double-clicks still goes to the max level (hi/turbo)
  • another way to get to moon mode is from the max output, ramp down til it stops - it stops at moon level
  • currently for ramping, moon mode level is a value of 3 for PWM's, which in a 4X light, I think is sub 1 lumens, maybe 0.8 or so. However in regular modes (non-ramping), you can configure the moon mode PWM level from 1 to 7, and I've found PWM level of 2 works on my 4X XM-L2 SRK proto light, and measures at about 0.1 lumens - incredibly low for a 4,500 or higher lumens light.

I for one would love to see direct access to moon and turbo! I find that sometimes I grab the first light handy in the dark and would hate to end up in 1k or 2k lumens on a ramp… would really blow night vision for me. Otherwise looks awesome!

Option 3 below sounds ideal.

Very interesting project. Also a newby here, but very interested to get a example of the Q8. So put me on the list for one please :slight_smile:

Another first-poster in this thread, and even from the Netherlands. :slight_smile: Welkom GoldenBatt!

I’m still new to the performance flashlight world, but my vote would be either 2 or 3, with a preference of 3. Moon mode is only useful when you don’t need or want huge amounts of light - ie, you already have your night vision adapted but need just a little more light. *Only *being able to get to moon *through *any higher intensity nearly negates the whole point of moon. Having a double click to “instant access” turbo is a great idea. It seems to me that the ’press and hold - starts in moon with a pause, then begins 2.5 sec ramping” is perfect.

So if I understand correctly, from OFF:
Single click - on (previous intensity if memory enabled).
single click and hold - on starts in moon, pause, then ramps up, release at desired intensity, stays there.
double click - direct to turbo.
But how do you get to batt check and strobe modes?

If you’re taking an informal poll I also really like the idea of the little pause before ramping up starts. That basically gives it the same function as the click > release > hold but without so many steps. I’m really getting irrationally excited about this project. Thanks again to all who are putting in the effort on it.

-- Yes, but ramping "memory" is always enabled

-- batt check and strobe modes are not available in ramping mode currently. Why? Well, to keep it simple and to avoid unintentional actions

We've been bizy on driver PCB/parts issues (design/testing), so I haven't been keeping up with the firmware features as much as I'd like. We got other options to accommodate strobes and batt check while in ramping mode, and still (hopefully) not interrupt the simple flow of operation.

Some ideas:

• triple-click (or quad click) to adv. modes (strobe(s) and/or batt check. I think this works well, considering double-click gets you to max/turbo, then strobe is the natural next step to go to. The main strobe I implemented in Narsil is a very intense 16 Hz, meant to be dis-orienting based on research performed in police training facilities - great thread on CPF about it.
  • down side of having a batt check in the blinky mode selection is having to get thru strobes in order to do a batt check . Could make batt check first of course. There are strobe fans and strobe dis-likers, so only way to handle this is making the blinky modes configurable, which is in Narsil already btw, just haven't applied it to ramping mode yet.

Please keep the votes/Q's/comments coming. We won't be able to please everyone, any there's the classic trade-offs between function and simplicity, but input is welcome.

Tom it already is sweet as ripe fruit
Trust you completely with further integration
Yes that hybrid.sounds best for me too!

Welcome to BLF, nice a fellow Tweaker! (Just like me and Thijsco! I would almost shout Dutch Power Cows but did not participate :D)
Will update op tonight!

Myself, as I was writing down the options, option #3 was sounding the best, so my vote is for option #3 as well...

Funny, sometimes these things don't click til you write them down...

Dutch Power Cows?? I’m not a Tweaker, not even a tech guy even though I’m dutch. I can tell you about plant species, butterflies and small insects, and immunofluorescence microscopy, (and since BLF, a thing or two about measuring light). Speaking of insects, how about a Q8 logo featuring a firefly? (firefly mode included!) :slight_smile:

Cool Tom, option 3 it is!
And just how sweet can Narsil get, that is the question!

heheh Djozz, not another poll over the logo :wink:
DPC was/is a distributed computing team, those guys are high ranking considering the small user base.

Looks like an impreactical logo to me :smiley:

Ahhh, Hey, I resemble that remark!

For a 0.1 lumens output at the lowest, firefly may be a good nickname.

How about Miller-fire Fly Ray King! :crown:

Ummm… NO! Not the Fly Ray King! Speaking of lightning bugs. This past weekend we must have had a convention in our meadows, there had to be millions of lightning bugs within sight. Sat a chatted with an old friend around a small fire, drank beer, watched lightning bugs and played with flashlights… Life was good!

I really like the looks of option 3 as well.