Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

Actually I "think" this light will have the throw of a good stock C8, I'm figuring on, maybe a little better. I took measurements of some SRK clones - don't have the #'s here with me. As you add LED's generally the reflector diameter goes down, and so does throw. The 3X's are best, 4X not bad, 5 and up gets lower and lower. 4X is a nice compromise of lumens and throw.

+1 on the lumens: 4,000-5,000, in that range. NW LED's with non AR glass is maybe 10%-20% lower than cool white w/AR.

Q8 or Q6
Well Toykeeper explained why a 6 is logical and used often.

However a 8 is also fine 18650 has a 8 in it as well.
14500 has both a 4 and a 5
So Q4/Q8 or Q5/Q6 are equally logical.
Q2/Q4/Q8 looks very good to me
Q4/Q5/Q6 suggest closer performance.
Please no off topic but when going for a AA/14500 Qx the performance will not be close to the 18650 Qy we are working on now.

So I like the Q8 name (followed by a Q4) better and think it sounds and looks better.
I really like how that driver looks now with Q8, esthetically the closed 8 appeals much more then a 6 to me.

Then we are talking about Q8 with Thorfire and would like the main designs to be the focus and not adding confusion by naming it Q6 all of a sudden. Though we can aleay do that later on.

But yes other then explaining where the Q comes from and that both Q4/Q8 as Q5/Q6 are good fitting the topic 6/8 is not heavily discussed, at least not to a final conclusion.

Q4/Q8 pro’s
Closer to expected performance
Logical sequence
Looks good
Already well known on BLF
Already well known with Thorfire

Q5/Q6 pro’s
More common
On par with Kronos X5/X6

(Well maybe something common is an advantage to some, for me personally it has a slightly negative connotation, I rather discover then walk the broad road everybody walks on :wink:
And after I have asked several times if Kronos is going to work on a X4/X7 that is not clear.
Besides there are manufacturers making lights with other then 6 for 18650 and 5 for 14500 namings even common ways are no law ;).
If however Kronos would be working on a X4 and/or X7 that would change everything and I would be then opt for X5/X6 since that would create some BLF consistency which I think is cool

The Q is there to stay :wink:
For the 8/6 I am just a BLFer like the rest.
and I have just expressed my sentiments and thoughts.

Besides seeing this progressing and being able to work on a new light, one of the nicest and rewarding aspects about the Q8 is that so much is debated and decided by the whole community!

So I guess it is time for a new round of debate! Yay!

Gonna update the title and refer to this post and let’s decide it via discussion and maybe a poll if the need arises.
Cool

Q8 nice round and even.

Well, I’ve been referring to it as the Q8 now for so long that it has stuck. Even if the name is changed, I’ll probably still refer to it as the Q8. I vote we stick with that.

Q8 does it imho :wink:

4 emitters ×2 = 8
I vote for Q8 .

Oh yeah quad as a quad SRK but at least double the output

But taking Narsil into account, comparing that to stock SRKs we should name it ” Q googolplex ” :smiley:

Or just Q4 ….
4 leds and probably ~4k lumens (over 3k for sure)

My shortlist, in no particular order.

BLF Bastardfire

BLF Biglightfire

BLF Considerablefire

BlF Firefirefirefire

heheh
Set-the-woods-on-fire :slight_smile:

BLF HoldYourFire?

Q418 for 4 18650’s? Then Q414 for 4 14400’s?

I’m fine with Q8 honestly.

4 Emitters + 4 Cells = Q8

How about the Q8 Fwoosh from the XKCD comic that is in someones signature?

In HongKong 8 is auspicious, it rhymes with prosperous in their dialect

Miller Lite

The Light of Earendil

I like Q8. As others have said I’ve been referring to it as the Q8 already so it has stuck with me. Besides that I agree with 8 to stand for 18650, 4 to stand for 14500, and then if/when a 26650 comes out we can come up with a name for it like Q66.

+1

Or Treesonfire Q8

I know it’s not an intended option but just from seeing it in the post title. QX sounds kinda cool.

I like Q8 :slight_smile:

This leaves room for,
Q2 = 10440
Q4 = 14450
Q8 = 18550
Q16 = 26650 :open_mouth:

Cheers David