Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

Got it, thanks for the explanation! :+1:

Or perhaps reset it after a few seconds? It will be nearly as unpredictable if you havenā€™t adjusted the light for several minutes.

true - hhmmmmm (rubbing my beard ). That sounds good actually! K, little more tweak'n.

Man Miller you really started something here buddy. I like the way you approached this and just look at the team that has formed around you! Iā€™ve been trying to resist from the start because lets face it, I really donā€™t need another flashlight. Kind of like the way you didnā€™t need an L6. :wink:
Iā€™ve always wanted a SRK type light but the mixed bag of quality versions that are out there held me back. I had thoughts of having Simon rework the Roche M170 at some point but that was before you started this. By the time youā€™re done with the Q8 there will probably be no need for that. Reading the progression of this one is quite a journey. If Tom E would have stopped talking about the awesome tweaks he is doing to Narsil I probably could have held out. Iā€™m a sucker for a great UI. With a BLF team like this youā€™re certain to knock this out of the park. Great work guys. Please put me down for one. Just take your time because if my wife sees me buying a new light anytime soon Iā€™m going to have some questions to answer! :open_mouth:

Could I get a baseline on ā€œthrowā€. For instance throw on the k6 vs. Q8. When you say 52 kcd I guess I donā€™t really know whatā€™s outstanding vs mediocre.

On that note are srkā€™s intended as throwers or just bright-a$$ lights?

Thanks!

Haha J-Dub74, will update OP later.
Thanks

Dudunphy, I get you, even lumens are tricky to picture what it would be like in real life.
Based on preliminary tests of Tom E who got a light that is getting close to the Q8 after heavily modding a SRK clone the Q8 should throw 250 meters + ( careful figure)
But the shallow reflector and multi emitter (meaning the cups of the reflector are like molten into each other) means a lot of light is not thrown forward but also floods the area.
The SRK format is absolutely geared at flood but the sheer amount of power still let it reach far.
In other words, we call it a 4000 lumens floody light with a reach of 250 meters where it seems like the actual lumens and distance will be higher (see Toms build previous page, 5200+ lumens and 400+ meters, just the way I like it, getting more then promised ;))

SRK's are intended to be flooders, but they do use reflectors, and pretty much all reflectors are designed to target a beam rather then spread the light out. Because of the reflectors being narrow and shallow though, they tend to produce a wide flood and also a wide large central beam. The TIR optics you will find in triples, quads, and lights like the Meteor are better flooders.

As far as the 52 kcd # goes, not sure what a k6, is but typical decent C8's usually do 25-30 kcd, while a modded one can do 50-60 kcd with a stock domed LED. The KD XPL HI based C8 I seen was measured at about 72 kcd, and C8's with de-domed LED's fully modded can do between 100-150 kcd or so.

To convert kcd (1,000 candela) to meters distance based on 1/4 lux (moonlight level is the standard), use the following equation, where throw is in meters:

(borrowed from http://flashlightwiki.com/Light_Output_Measurements)

Keep in mind though, I'd expect the real BLF Q8 to be performing somewhat less than this result, but hoping it will be close.

Where do i sign up? Count me for one :slight_smile: This is going to be my poor mans M43.

No, the M43 has no reflectors and much more LEDs (as has the MEGA M6 of RMM)
The M43 is or should be a better flooder.

However, surely there will be somebody to transform it into something with a whole lot of LEDs
And well with Narsil on it, I think I would prefer a modded high LED count Q8 over a M43 :smiley:

At this point the meteor is out of my reach so i will satisfy my self with this one :smiley:

Also at some point i might copy FmCā€™s take on making poor mans M43, which could cost me about twice of the price of the flashlight but still more achievable for me than buying M43 since i can buy the parts one by one :smiley:

Thanks for the info guys. Iā€™ll try wrapping my head around throw now that you put up some more figures!

This makes me happy. :slight_smile:

What I do on mine is conditionally reverse depending on how long it has been since the ramp was released. So, if you release-and-press within one second, itā€™ll reverse. If you release, wait longer than one second, and press again, itā€™ll continue the ramp in the original direction.

In any case, I think the reversing makes ramp mode much easier to fine-tune. :slight_smile:

BTW, hello. Iā€™ve gotten way behind on this thread but I wanted to mention something cool.

You know the gold-colored light in BLFā€™s logo? Like, this one?

That one is mine, one of the good-quality original SRKs the Q8 is inspired from. Until recently it was modded like this.

But it has been upgraded. It now has a Narsil driver inside, which makes it a happier light than ever before. I mean, just look at its radiant smile. Itā€™s positively beaming!

So, although itā€™s kind of hidden between pixels, pd68ā€™s driver and Tom Eā€™s code are now part of the official BLF logo. Just thought I should mention it, because itā€™s kind of awesome. :slight_smile:

(on a related note, the red SK-68 in the logo is one of djozzā€™s highly-modded lights, another iconic part of BLF)

LOL. That is either one very clever picture ToyKeeper or one very contented light letting the world know how it feels. :slight_smile:

Awesome post TK!
Now that is some happy light!

Iā€™m in for one.

Thanks!

Count me in for one!
Thanks.

tom this driver looks great Tk this idea with ramping delay is great its like smart rampingā€¦

hope this driver can be used in many lights

Iā€™ve had a chance to play with Narsil and I got to say Tom has done a great job. Iā€™ve been using it in a skilhunt h02 headlight host and have been loving it. The ramping is quick and buttery smooth. The mode sets have very well spaced out levels. There are enough configuration settings, mode sets, and advanced configuration setting to make everyone happy. I havenā€™t got a chance to use it in a clicky host yet but I think Tom has designed it to be compatible with those also. It has to be the most versatile driver firmware available. I can definitely see Narsil making its way in to many future builds.

This Q8 project is shaping up to be quite amazing with all the right ingredients, awesome UI/firmware, driver board design, and host.

Will update OP later.