Quality around 50$

Do you have Li-Ion batteries already? Charger? Aware of the dangers and precautions of using Li-Ions? The batteries and charger will eat up a lot of that budget! The SRK was my firsth thought - at about $36 to $42.

Welcome to BLF too.

-Garry

Hi and welcome.

Do you require anything else from the light? Such as size, tint, flood vs throw, battery type and number?

I don’t mean to be funny, but simply saying 2000lm is a bit like saying I’m going to buy a 350lb ft torque car next. It really doesn’t mean much without a little context.

Welcome to BLF, Phil!
Garry and Mr. Drumstick make very important points. The SRK is a very nice light, but it needs Li-Ion fuel. That fuel requires more care and respect than your typical Alkaline or NiMH batteries.
A good SRK is around $45-55, four 18650 batteries are $20-35, and a good charger is $25 or so.
There are not many lights in this price range that can produce 2000 lumens.
The Shadow SL3 is an alternative, lower runtime, uses only one 26650 cell. Different format of light too.

Welcome to BLF. The other members make a great point. Since many of the flashlight world have reach the acme of anal retentiveness. ( to include myself ) We need more info!!! Lol :smiley:

Thanks everyone for the candid replies! Appreciate it.

@lionheart_2281 - “Chinese sites they grossly exaggerate how many lumens an emitter can produce”

• Yeah I’ve read about this. So really if I want something around 2000lm, I should look for something around 6000lm, ? ha… I just did a little research and thought 2000lm would suit my particular needs. I take the dog for a walk most nights and just wanted something a little stronger…

@garrybunk - “Aware of the dangers and precautions of using Li-Ions?..”

• Are there any added dangers I should know about?

@Chickendrumstick - “Do you require anything else from the light? Such as size, tint, flood vs throw, battery type and number?”

• I’m sort of new to the flashlight world, so did’nt have any specifics in mind. Though size, not too large or heavy; flood/throw - something that could illuminate a dark path at night; battery.number - uncertain…

Yeah, li-ions tend to be picky about the way they’re charged and handled, and often come with protection circuits to prevent dangerous thing from happening.

The Sky Ray King does take 4x 18650 li-ion batteries, so that’s going to add about 20-40 extra dollars depending on which cells you get as well as the charger.

They pack a lot of energy compared to other rechargeable batteries such as Ni-MH, but require a lot more attention.

Here’s a great write-up by scaru about li-ion cells and their safety: Li-ion Battery Safety and Shopping Guide

Not to disappoint or disrespect you, but if you’re not ready to handle/harness the power of li-ions, please be careful and make right choices. We’re always here to help, so don’t hesitate to ask questions. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

Be prudent to do a bit of research into them. Being that many lites in here use them. A good C8 or HD 2010 would probably foot the bill nicely. Even the XinTD V4 or X3

200lumens is good enough to see a path, not recommending 200lumens, just saying.

If you don’t need 2K lumens (which really is a lot), a great choice is the Nitecore EA4.

860 lumens from 4x AA cells and the build quality is superb.
Should cost you about 50-55 bucks without the need to shell out extra money for li-ions and and charger.

+1

Get Skyray King from CNQG, real lumens and much better build quality.

If your going for a walk of any distance. They tend to heat up rather quickly.

Lithium Ions require monitoring so you don't overcharge them (beyond 4.2v for most cells), over-discharge them (varies from 3.0v to about 2.5v, stay above 3.0 to be safe), or short circuit them (can explode with serious power). You have to be extra careful in using multiple cells, especially in series (where they must be a matched pair with equal discharge rate so one doesn't charge the other and set off an explosion). Generally people who care for them, maintain them properly and follow proper handing procedures won't have problems. They can NOT be used & abused like you would with NiMh, NiCd, or alkalines.

Another issue is that there are a lot of BAD Li-Ion batteries out there and lots of fake's (re-wrapped laptop pulls, wrapper of a known good manufacturer on a junk cell, etc . . .). Stick with what is known to be good (genuine Sanyo's, Panasonics, Samsungs, etc . . .) from reputable sellers (lots of info here at BLF). It's also good to get a good proper charger (chargers vary from dangerous to acceptable, to fantastic. Read reviews on a charger before you buy.

My recommendation, stick to a single cell Li-ion light with an XM-L driven at about 2.8A to 3A. This will give you around 700 lumens and probably suit what you are looking for. (The SRK can't be used on high real long anyway since it'll get very hot.) Only buy protected cells (while you're learning). I'm afraid you may not have a frame of reference for what 2000 lumens will be like. Here's a photo showing a KD C8 with an XM-L driven at 3A for reference (184 feet to shed):

Backed up another 110 feet for 294 feet total distance:

You could always stick with AA NiMh's and go with a Nitecore EA4 / EA8, but you'll pay quite a bit more for the light. If you go that route, be sure to get good NiMh cells (i.e. Sanyo/Panasonic Eneloops) for it.

Hope this helps.

-Garry

The C8 claims 1800 lumens… ( Not likey ) But still bright
The XinTD 900 + lumens… Both excellent little lights.

Warning, you can easily become entrapped by a new hobby if you’re not careful. If you get to the place where you giggle every time you light up your back yard with a pocket sized light it’s too late for you. The good news is that flashlights are much less expensive than many other hobbies.
What are you using now? I agree that something in the range of 600-800 lm will be enough to light up your path and bring a smile to your face.

If you think this can be a fun hobby for you, I would recommend that you get a good charger and some 18650 batteries (and a multimeter). This is the most common size in single or multiple configurations (like the Sky Ray King) and you’ll have lots of options for future projects. So far I’ve only gotten into the 1x18650 realm and there are plenty of form/formats for me to explore. In this category I would recommend something with a 30-45mm head diameter (p60 size to C8 size) to start out.

If you want to stick to the AAA, AA, etc format then you might want to get a set of AA rechargeable batteries with a charger (I’ve seen the Energizer AA in a set with a charger for $10-15 at Kroger/Walmart), and the Nitecore EA4 will give you a ton of light.
Good luck figuring out you want to do, and ask questions whenever, you’ll be sure to get a lot of opinions :slight_smile:

edit: just look at Garry’s pics… (hehe)

I was trying to get some representative pics. I also have a P60 beamshot from that same set. The P60 will be a little floodier than the C8. Generally the smaller the reflector the floodier the light (with same emitter) and therefore the larger the reflector the throwier it is. Plenty of beamshot pics around here. The C8 is generally considered an "all purpose" type light giving a mix of throw and flood (spill).

-Garry

What light do you have now ??

And lithium ion in some quantities is nessesary for 2000+ lumens so I assume lithium ion is also assumed .

any and all lights capable of pulling a lot of amperage are somewhat dangerous . So is the toaster ..don't put a fork in it :P

* this is where I suggest the s2 or s6 convoy in neutral/ sanyo 2600fm and a tr001 and just say it does 1900 lumens :)

Nice Boaz! (Do we have a thread around here "Quotes of Boaz" or maybe "Quotes from Members"?)

-Garry

Yeah, just a single xml light would be fine. Something like that would be maybe 500-1100 lumens, depending on how hard it’s driven and if it’s an xml2 or not.

I almost wouldn’t want a triple xml like the skyray king as my first led flashlight. It wouldn’t allow me to appreciate the lower lumen lights as much. Which, nowadays…the more lower the lumens, the better. And not just low, I want firefly modes(imo these are modes with less than 5 lumens)

Edit: I converted my older brother(22) into a believer now. He found an ultrafire something(has an xml) on amazon. I recommended him a battery, charger and bike mount. Funny thing is, he spent less than 25 bucks on the whole package. While he spent like 700 on a new giant bike. Now, bikes are *certainly *something you pay what you get for.

Interesting… I have never compared the two…. gotta check that out…