Quality around 50$

Here ya go Dale. Both driven at 3A on high. KD C8 has an OP reflector, L2 has an SMO.

KD C8 (mouse out) and Fake L2 (Mouse over):

-Garry

Sorry for all the pics… I just learned I can bluetooth these in from the yard… LOL

My "Fake Solarforce L2" (in beamshot comparison above) is identical to the 2nd from the left in your photo.

-Garry

I seen a recommendation for the EA4, which is a great light that runs on 4xAA batteries. This avoids the Li-Ion issues. I’d agree with others, 2000 lumens is a lot for dog walking. 500-800 with some throw and flood should do.
Instead of the EA4, I recommend the Sunwayman D40A, which is similar, but IMO a better light. There are still ways to get this light for around your price range. :wink:
My D40A Review: Review: Sunwayman D40A 4xAA XM-L2 Flashlight
TurboBB’s D40A review: Sunwayman D40A (XM-L2 | 4 x AA) Review

I suspect that one may be fake as well…. ordered from Lightmalls

2000 lumens is rather insane for just walking the dog, you’ll light up half the street! Honestly, I’d start looking at 300-400+ lumens lights with decent reflectors (flood with a neat hotspot). You’ll be able to use single 18650 cell lights (which is much safer than using multiple), and save some budget for a battery and charger.

The ultrafire C8 is a nice light but quite big. I’m very partial to the Trustfire T2 which I’ve reviewed here: Review: Trustfire T2 (XP-G R5, 5-mode)
Then there’s also the Ultrafire C20 which is a clone of the Crelant 7C3somethingsomething, which offers a better UI and more sensible modes than most chinese budget lights. It’s the light I’m looking at right now so I can’t vouch for it myself, but it’s reviewed well.

TR-J12 :bigsmile:

I would give the xintd x3 a look, it’s new and probably not available for a week or so yet,

it can use 3aa or a 26650 cell (or 18650 with a sleeve).

it uses the new xm-l2, the favoured qlite driver (choice of modes on the website) will likely end up with a choice of emitter tints. It should be a good ground up light that I can’t wait to get, it would also give you the option of just buying the light and using it on aa cells (more than likely with reduced output tbh) then when you are ready, you can buy up a good charger and 26650 cells for some good output.

Knowing intloutdoor, the build quality will be well above average for a “budget” light and the options available will cover many of the points made above - tint, moon mode, new emitter type.

If you just want to go for it, I dont think you’ll go wrong with an xintd c8 v4

http://intl-outdoor.com/xintd-c8-v4-xml2-t6-18650-flashlight-p-308.html

you can pick up a pair of good cells and acceptable charger from fasttech for $20, dont forget to use coupon code blf.

The XinTD C8 is a lovely torch. Beautifully made, great output.

However, it’s almost twice the price of the Convoy C8, which is also v well made. Just not quite as nice or as powerful as the XinTD.

I have both. I prefer the switch on the Convoy, but prefer everything else about the XinTD (especially its firefly mode). But for me the XinTD is a treat, kinda like a luxury version of a car which does the same job as the std model, just a little more sweetly.

Welcome , Phil

Buy this light , these batteries , and this charger .

Good . Now go enjoy a frosty beverage .

Right torch, wrong emitter (unless you like seeing things with all the colour washed out of them). Get the same C8 torch, but with a natural white emitter.

First off Phil, welcome. My heart goes out to you because your innocent interest in a flashlight has a strong potential to morph into a torch addiction unrecognizable to common logic. My advice; use the wonderful suggestions above, buy one flashlight and then never come here again.

You will otherwise end up like Foy, with a permanently suspicious wife and a forum full of unbelievably spectacular new friends, all influencing you to buy yet another flashlight. It's the best board on the web and new members usually find us quite endearing. Next thing you know, your wallet is sucked inside-out and you're sitting there in a dazed stupor with lint from the nether corners of your now empty purse floating slowly down.

2,000 lumen dog walker? Sounds like a Shadow S-L3 to me. It's supposedly 1,700 lumens but I'll assume that will be enough for sir? Thought so.

welcomeFoy

In 3 days Phil will be buying a Terralux and hanging out on cpf wondering why anyone would buy a fangfire.

FOY is right , I brought only 1 light 13 times and now have friends and family addicted asking Me to pay for their newly acquired addiction they say its only fair since I got them hooked ann a 2 000 lumen light for walking a dog , that bright and your dog will need a seeing eye dog just kidding but seriously get out while you can heck someone may even try talking you into “souping up ” or modding your light then thats another whole new world. Welcome Phil these guys and gals are a blast and can put a smile on anyones face you won’t find a better group anywhere on th web:-)

Hilarious

Hahahaha, info overload!! So many great suggestions…

You guys are probably the most dedicated people I’ve come across in a long time :wink: Glad I found this awesome forum.

Well I realize now that 2000lumen might be a tad overkill for what I use it for :wink: and I like the idea of going with a more mainstream starter light (500-1000)…

Now, off to continue what has become an epic quest to find THE light!

I’ll keep you posted as soon as I zero in on my new torch.
Thanks again for your time and ideas!

No problem, let us know what you get! :slight_smile:

Welcome

Before this calendar year has ended you will probably own a flooder , a thower , an EDC , a headlamp , and a keychain light , and at least one backup for each of these categories .

You will become somewhat of an 'expert' on flashlights , and will start ordering them for your friends and family .

After you have aquired enough flashlights , you will begin to have some idea of what you believe will be the perfect light for you .

Eventually , you will realize that there is no commercially available flashlight that is perfect for your tastes and you will experiment with modifying your lights or purchasing a custom flashlight .

We will gladly assist you on your journey to total enlightenment .

I recommend

this Convoy M1 light
and this Sanyo 2600mAh battery
and you will need a charger, a few others have suggested decent ones so far

The light will go 600 lumens, you can get more, but its a matter of diminishing returns, each extra watt brings less lumens then the last, and this way you will get better battery life as well. Also the tint is a warmer and more pleasing one
The batteries are good quality high power output ones that will maintain brightness for most of their charge, and they are hard to beat in this category.

Do let us know what you get

So true!!!