Questions on Chinese Pocket Knives

Hi All,
This forum has opened my eyes to all the interesting chinese knives out there.

Three questions:

1. How is the detent on these knives? I’ve had a knife swing partially open when in pocket and hurt me so I am very picky about good strong detent (must not come partially open even when knife is shaken). My Gerber paraframe is really great that way and I can shake it and blade stays put.

2. I read some reviews that Ganzo is lower quality than Sanrenmu and Enlan. But there are some Ganzo that are aesthetically pleasing (g723,g724m, g720, g702, g726). Have they sorted out their quality issues or should I stick with Sanrenmu and Enlan only.

3. How good is their locking mechanism? Looks somewhat like the axis from Benchmade. But it obviosuly couldn’t be the axis mechanism, since its not Benchmade. So should I stick with frame-locks or liner-locks only? (btw the liner-lock engagement in some of the pics looks poor, very early). Good strong lock is important on a folder.

The knives I am considering are:
SRM 962, 7073LUC-SK, GR5-605
Enlan M10, EL-02, M024A, M025, EM01

By the way, I came on here looking for cheap flashlight recommendations and now you’ve got me interested in a whack of pocket knives … not exactly budget friendly! lol

The axis style locks on the SRM and Ganzo knives are fine. The Ganzos come with the lock a little stiff, and loosen over time, just like the ball bearing lock on my Spyderco Manix 2. The lock on my SRM 763s have held up to hard use and have been flawless. My GB-763 is 4 years old I think, and I EDC’d it on and off most of that time. I’m not really a Benchmade fan, but it seems at least on my SRM that the only difference would be the quality of the steel. You’re not going to get S90V or M4 or D2, but most of these Chinese brands have a good build quality, good fit and finish, and superb prices. That’s why they are so popular :slight_smile:

The last Ganzos G720/G727/G723/G722 etc, are really impressive for the price, quality is top notch.

I like axis from Ganzo. Have never had any issues with old G704 and now I’m about to order G729 in camo.

is the axis lock superior to the frame lock, in your opinion? never had a Ganzo but I would like to try an axis lock.

if there were 2 identical knives with different lock systems (axis vs frame/liner lock) I would definitely choose the one with axis.

So these knives have the actual axis lock!
Wow I didn’t expect that?!

But big question is if the ganzo/enlan axis lock is as good as the original??

Is there some good website where the Sanrenmu/Enlan/Ganzo knives are reviewed or nicely pictured?
Its really difficult to get good information about them.

I have round about 25 knives of SRM, Enaln/Bee, Ganzo and Navy and ordered a few more for friends. Most of the knives you named in post #1 I haven't in my hand - only the 7073, and the Enlan EL02 (both: EL02 and EL02B - and most other axislock Enlan like the EL04 and EL04 MCT), Ganzo G720 (here is my review, but it is in German) , sold my SRM962 a longer time ago.
The SRM962 is overpriced since 4 years (is discontinued since 5-6 years). It costs round about $40.

The SRM7073 is a nice gentleman knife, have a good finish, but the handle will get scratches if you have it in the pocket with keys.
The Enlan EL02 is great but I love the EL02B (G10 handle, stonewashed finish blade). I have round about 12-15 orederd for friend sand myself and have never a bad one.

If you compare the Axislock of Ganzo and Enlan:
The splint of Enlan is arris and not really thumb friendly, if you open it really often. It is the same on all Enlans and all Ganzos I have ever used (some more axislock knives I have: Ganzo G727, G704, G710, G712, G717 - if you like a smaller blade with a axilock, take a look at the Sanrenmu 7063). I read about some problems with the Axislock of the Ganzo G711, but could remind myself about other problems I read about.

I have a bunch of Chinese folders myself. You have to take them on a model by model basis. Some are better than others and some have different shortcomings.

For the money I paid ($5-25), I would consider every single one of them a good deal. A $12 SRM direct from China is going to be MUCH nicer than an equivalent priced knife in a store.

The Enlan EM-01 is one of the nicest small folders from China. It looks like an expensive knife and quality on the half dozen or so I have owned has been great. I gift them because it’s a nice size for people who are not normally knife enthusiasts and because it doesn’t look or feel cheap in anyway.

Enlan and SRM are generally good but they have a few stinkers. Ganzo and Navy are good but they have some stinkers as well.

What size blade do you prefer? Handle material? Grind? Etc.

(FWIW, I’m not shilling for FastTech nor Sanrenmu; and these aren’t “afflinks”. Just saying…)

I just bought a Sanrenmu ZB-681 for SWMBO to EDC and a Sanrenmu F1-723 for me to EDC, replacing a Gerber Paraframe II so I can refurb it.

Hers fits in her cigarette pouch without being a bother. FT’s pictures don’t do it justice, IMO. If it were bigger it wouldn’t be as nice, but it’s too small for me to use — which fits her perfectly.

Mine is a little shorter than the Paraframe II, and slightly heavier. It’s covered in some coating that’s ‘clingy’, not to say “sticky”, which makes it hard to clip in & out of pockets or waistbands; but that’s not much of a problem to me. It’s very well made also.

I can tell you, we both love ’em!! They’re stunningly well made for the money, firm and solid without binding. Both came well sharpened. Although not polished (they leave the stropping to the buyer), they’ll shave clean as delivered. They both “walk and talk” and the locks hold beyond how hard I’m willing to test them, without being hard to unlock.

All this for less, total, than what a new Paraframe II (with the lame-ass half-serrated blade) would cost at Wally-World. What’s not to love?

The Gerber may end up in a drawer after all…

Detent is good in general on ganzo, srm and so.
About lock system… i see in youtube some ganzo models with bad locks.
On my ganzos i can see that the development of the lock system is not the same and the amount of steel that engage on the blade is not the same. My g710 has less steel blocking that my g704, g712 and g720 however it is the smoothest. My enlan el04 engage more steel in its axis lock, it is deeper.

@Buwuve - thanks for the reply. G720 is too big for me. Enlan EM01 looks very nice.

@xatu - thanks. Yes I watched some reviews today and they said same like you. The Ganzo lock is not same quality as Axis because its not engaging so deeply. So its only cosmetically similar, mechanically not, cannot be compared, apples to oranges. This is important for me. Folder is only as good as its lock.

@speedsix - before I came across this forum I was saving my pennies to buy Benchmade 903 or 904. I really like look of these knives. This is my ideal pocket knife. Never seen another brand that has something so nice. This Christmas Santa is going to buy me this one for sure!

Is there anything from Sanrenmu, Enlan or Ganzo that is in the same league as these?

My requirements: G10 handles, blade length ideally 3 inches or maybe more (but not exceeding 3.75 inch), of-course strong lock-up, knife is for edc purposes only.

I like a more traditional style off knife [Buck 110].
Use thread-lock so you don’t loose thumbscrew or handle screws.
Why don’t they skeletonize the liners for weight loss?

If anyone has an extra thumbscrew and handle screws let me know I’ll buy them [CONUSA].

You’ll struggle to get a 3+” SanRenMu. They generally make smaller knives (an exception is the superb 963 although these are now $30 - I got one for around $15 during a sale and it is incredible)

As I understand it, larger knives are now banned in the Chinese markets (or at least in terms of what they’re allowed to carry after a string of stabbings in China)

A nice SRM would be the 7071 range, some of these have G10 handles. I have one in stainless steel with a tanto blade and it’s a lovely little knife.

Alternatively, the Enlan EL-01 range is very highly regarded and would meet your needs in terms of blade size, strength (it is rather over-engineered, check out some hard-use videos on YouTube) as well as a variety of G10 scales. I have a black blade/black G10 “stealth” variant and also a beautiful wooden scaled one courtesy of my good friend and BLF contributor 8steve88.

All I’d say in summary is that there are loads of very decent knives out there - but ownership is very subjective. Why not have a look at a few, make a short list, check out reviews and then just buy them all anyway as they’re really cheap!!

I’ve got probably 15+ SRM knives and I love them.

Best regards,

SP

Only a pair of things:

Yes, it seems that some ganzos does not have very well made the lock system but others have a good lock system. Not all are bad.
Other thing, there is another big sanrenmu, the 9063, i have one.

The top four used to be pretty distinct even just a couple of years ago. However now they are all pretty much bunched up together and it is now down to individual knives rather than brands.

I actually went looking for my ZB-681 the other day, and I think it was stolen. I started to feel bad but it was probably the cheapest knife in the whole knife roll, the rest of which was intact. But I still miss it :frowning:

It should be noted that for most people, Chinese knives are just a stepping stone to a larger addiction. And then from there it just keeps getting worse. There’s a certain progression, just like with flashlights. Chinese knives are made from passable steels, but there’s such a variety out there.

I’ve got Japanese made knives in VG-10, ZDP-189, Aogami Super Blue and a HAP40 Delica on the way, which sold out in about 10 minutes I think lol. And that’s just Japanese steel. It’s hard to keep up with all the new USA made “super steels.” My first thought holding a CPM S90V knife in my hand was “This could probably cut a Ganzo in half” lol.

So, be prepared for an addiction that could dwarf any flashlight addiction. But hey, it’s better than to be addicted to heroin or something. I can take my addictions out late at night and play with them. Pretty, pretty, things.

Most Enlan and Ganzo knives I used have longer blades ~90mm. I prefer with a axislock the Enlan EL02B, Ganzo G704, with linerlocks the Sanrenmu 9063 and Sanrenmu 913p (if a half serration blade is ok, have acloser look at this). The Enlan EL01 is great but has also blade length of 93mm - it's the big brother of the EM01. Go for it - the EM01 is also nice (I have 4 EL01 in different handle colors and the EM01 was a little bit to small for me - OI like 90mm much more

Maybe this could be a good choice for you: Sanrenmu 7007 LUC-GH (this is the not colored blade version - price is round about $10). It has G10, 72mm blade - here is a small video review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n0XrtV1COE

Bee L02 (Bee is a company of Enlan), blade length 75mm, G10, liner lock

or one of my edc knives, but I haven't seen this for a longer time in the usually shops: Leen 1203-1:
69mm blade length, G10 handle, liner lock, 440C steel. Here some picture (Leen and Enlan EM01).
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/20729

Don’t forget the budget switchblades!