Rayovac Sportsmen Xtreme Triple XPG mod

Recently, I saw a post of the Defiant 3-C cell XML here and it reminded me of a similar C-cell host I modded (I have a real soft spot for C-cell light). When I went to find the link at CPF, I discovered I had not actually posted my mod, or perhaps it was deleted (like THAT's never happened). The build was a triple XPG using the Sportsmen Xtreme 3C cell host which I did a tear-down review of here.

Specs of the 3 x XPG mod

• Rayovac Sportsmen Xtreme 3C host
  • 3x XPG R4 5000K emitters reflowed onto 16mm PCB’s (had to trim them a bit to fit)
  • 3 x plastic reflectors from budget 1xAA lights (Ocean State Job Lot)
  • 1.4A max, AX2002 3 mode driver (from user Download @ CPF)
  • Custom aluminum heatsink
  • Powered by 3 x AW IMR 25500 (2300 mAh)

I picked up the host from Sears on sale for $20. The stock light had an XRE (unknown bin, most likely Q5) behind a relatively narrow optic that was direct drive off 3 x C cells. It was a pretty decent off the shelf light, but I wanted something with a bit more muscle. The big surprise came when I was able to fit 3 x 25500 IMR’s down the body tube without boring. This is something that cannot be done in the stock C-cell Maglite, so I started thinking of mod ideas. The narrow head did not lend itself to a large multi-emitter array, however, I discovered the head would nicely accommodate 3 small plastic reflectors from some junky 1 x AA lights I had picked up at Ocean State Job Lot. These were a perfect match for XPGs which produce a nice blend of throw and spill, and thus, the idea for a triple XPG was born. Why not an XML you ask, well, keep in mind this mod pre-dates the release of the XML, and what was hot back then was the SST-50 and -90 emitters which I also considered, but I really like the challenge of multi-LED builds, plus finding high current drivers for the SST-50 and -90 are scarce.

I happened to have the driver from user Download @ CPF which ended up being the perfect match because it is rated up to 15V max, and thus, would allow serial wiring of the XPG array driven by 3 x IMR 25500 in series. It is a 3-mode with L-M-H arrangement but lacking memory.

Driver wired up in host. I don't have any other detailed photos of this, but it was straight forward.

The heat sink required a bit more creativity. I fabricated a multi-piece heat sink to maximize the amount of aluminum for cooling. The stock light had a hollow screw in pill which I mated with a larger bar of aluminum cut and ground down to fit inside the hollow pill and leave a flush top portion. For the top section, I cut another piece of aluminum, this time from a larger diameter round bar stock that would serve as the mounting surface for the triple XPG array. Finally, I still had some space inside the head, so I cut a section off a D-cell mag body to slide around the outside of the pill/inner sink to beef it up a bit more.

Below are the 4 parts to the heat sink and how they were assembled.

Left to right: top section, stock pill, inner sink, outer sink from D-cell mag body.

Final pill assembly

This was then fed into the host containing the driver wired up

View from top prior to final assembly of heat sink top portion and outer ring

Ring installation

Top portion installation

Final view prior to emitter installation

XPG's wired in series

Functional test on low

With reflectors and bezel installed

Size reference

White wall shot

At 1.4A current draw, estimate lumen output is ~1200

Thanks for looking!

That's great! I love those kind of builds. 8)

Very resourceful build !

I have one of these hiding somewhere...you've inspired me to look for it.

What a terrific mod. Love the creativity with the heat sink and trimming the LED's.