Really small 26650 light - TrustFire Cree XP-E R2 w/video

and I might get one someday but what would really float my boat would be if something like this came with a built-in flip-up cap mechanism that would protect those ports. Kinda like what you see on rifle scopes and such. Heck I would even settle for a screw on o-ringed cap with a clicky boot on the cap’s outside which would activate the inner clicky boot. Of course said cap would be affixed with some sort of tether so ya wouldn’t lose it so easy. Actually it doesn’t even have to be a metal screw-in cap. I’d be ok enough with just a tethered silicon type cap for that matter.

Needs to be sold without battery so user can supply own 26650

-Jamie M.

Is this something similar at KD
Link

Wow, really nice find! It can fast charge iPad and iPhone at 2.5 amps! And it can charge TWO devices at the SAME time too! SWEET!

Drop in some 3400mah Panasonic’s and you’d have a real power plant :slight_smile: http://www.intl-outdoor.com/2-pcs-panasonic-ncr18650b-3400mah-protected-battery-p-605.html

Checking available funds…

-Jamie M.

Looks like the same one as IOS. Richie gave it a great review:

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/8298

I’ve been looking at this same model at Intl-Outdoor. It’s just a matter of do I really need it to justify the cost. Intl-Outdoor has chice of cool white or neutral and an optional USB cable. On top of the cost I would need to purchase a matched troika of 18650s. Any help here? Which ones would be best? Protected or unprotected? It has built in over dicharge protection.
Initial cost plus batteries make this a pricey purchase…but I do like it more than anything else I’ve seen.

From the review posted on the link, the over discharge protection ONLY works when using it as a flashlight, not when using it to charge USB devices! So I would NOT use it without protected batteries. From the review thread it’s not clear how well protected batteries fit in the cradle.

-Jamie M.

Lets ask Hank.

they make rubber plugs that would work pretty good for that.

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Protective-Cover-Type-Jacks/dp/B000AA2OWM

that’s just one example, you can find those everywhere.

I have the double USB, 3 battery version. And it charges my iPhone and iPad 3 nicely! Good for emergencies. If you want a dedicated iPad battery pack though, there are better purpose built packs out there that will do a better job.

And something is wrong with the person’s iPhone who said their iPhone battery sucks. My 4S routinely got 8 hours continuous use. And my current iPhone 5 easily gets the same. And it easily lasts all day from 10am to 2 am the next day when not used continuously, under what I would say is normal usage.

I like it as the A8 is bigger than it needs to be. I’m hoping for something soon as small as possible, but still use a 26650 cell. The amount of mass in a 26650 host is just enough to handle an XM-L at full output without getting insanely hot like the UF2100 does. The UF-DT1 is my favorite light for being compact, yet handling an XM-L’s heat quite well but using 26650 cells would provide longer runtimes for cheaper than 3400mAh 18650 cells.

This looks nice, but the USB makes me think that this thing would be bit of a pain to mod, and it can be smaller if they ditched the USB stuff.

As a bug out bag light, I wouldn’t mod it - its main focus is charging a smart phone so you can keep in contact, a higher output robs this ability, its small enough you could keep this as backup light/charger, throw in a primary powered light like a trunite t10 in your pocket AND an a8 and some 26650 cells. Light and charging potential in one pocket of a day sack.

If you have a family, you won’t just be packing one bug out bag will you? So spread things about a bit.

I just want a 26650 powered light that is smaller than the A8. I have the A8 and it’s huge. I still carry my UF2100 daily.

And that’s the point - usage, looking at this as a light, yeah it can have more output, its only a driver/emitter swap away (assuming the driver doesn’t do the charging business) but to me, that just writes off half the use of the light.

It is an indication thought that a small 26650 light is possible, hell it could be a tube with twist activation so it could be 100mm or so long, or a 26650 uf2100 simply larger diameter - 30mm rather than 22mm for arguments sake.

I have an A8 in the mail. How much smaller is this light/charger?

Using a google search……. It’s roughly an inch shorter. If you need it in mm, do the searches and convert the measurements….

Sorry, I’m drunk and on my mobile, I didn’t feel like messing about. :stuck_out_tongue: :open_mouth: :bigsmile:

At least you weren’t using a giggle search.

gords nailed it - this light is 25mm shorter, but the same diameter. I have the A8 and it's got a lot of mass, not really an EDC, unless you're trying to impress the ladies...

It’s in the first sentence of the first post.

:wink: