Recoil? What is it?

Ok, I think I have no idea what exactly is recoil flashlight and what are its benefits and how good is it for throw, stumbled upon this unit in another thread while looking for 3xAA flashlights:

http://www.dinodirect.com/led-flashlight-cree-q5-3mode-c74.html?d=23068523

(DD affiliate link)

What exactly is this beast and why there are no reviews on this particular model and no information easily obtainable regarding recoil lights?

A recoil light has the emitter in front of the reflector rather than at the centre/base of it. The arrangement is a bit like a satelitte reciever dish but works in reverse. They throw rather like a zoomer at maximum throw with almost no spill.

"Recoil" is what happens to people when they meet Grunta.

OMG, that was so mean. That can't be good for my personal Karma.

And Veer, sorry about not being any actual help.

Veer, actually that exact light was discussed here but it was purchased from ebay and you want to avoid it as it is not a quality recoil. The reflector is only a shallow cupped mirror in the rear of the light. A true recoil has a carefully designed reflector that fills the entire head of the light from the back of the head to the lens in order to give a quality beam.

A quick search for "recoil" yielded plenty of discussion on recoil lights in general right here on BLF. Over 10 pages of links actually.

Ok, thanks a lot, somehow I thought that my search here will yield no results :D!

Im looking for 3xAAA, not 18650 recoild thrower around 20 or under.

Oh, another thing - will recoil throw further than aspheric?

From what I have gathered is that nothing will throw further than aspheric, they are the throw kings.

So I should stop investigating recoil throwers and not wasting my time then?

Not looking for addition of another type of flashlights to my collection, just looking for best throwers for the dollar.

Well, I don't know enough myself to tell you one way or the other. I do know the most regarded aspheric here is probably the Dereelight DBS, I kinda want one myself but don't need it and don't need to spend the money on one either.

Yeah, I just saw in one of the threads here the light I posted in my OP and thought to research whether its worth to buy or not, its not a MUST for me, its rather to see if theres decent thrower under 20$ that can be used with regular AA/AAA batteries.
I already have SK68 and it throws pretty well, I also have generic 3xAAA headlamp with plastic aspherical lens and it throws even better, seeing recoil mentioned made me think that I can get thrower with usable 200m+ throw and on regular batteries.

Recoil can throw a long way, but one problem is the LED is mounted on the glass lens, so the heat-sinking is pretty bad.

I'm not sure which throws further, but there are a lot of losses with an aspheric lens and usually an ugly beam.

A simple led in front of a parabolic dish is a recoil thrower?

I am disappointed. Have always thought that the cataclysmic critical mass release of photons by the simple manipulation of a switch on a flashlight one day would yield a recoil thrower. The effect and sensation on the user similar to a high power firearm or a phase plasma rifle in the 40 watt range. Hence the phrase when ever I hand a flashlight to a rookie .... ”Beware of the recoil”.

Basically a recoil style bulb we make, kinda cool IMO. http://www.cree.com/lighting/products/indoor/lamps/lrp-38

Isn't that the new remake of an old Arnold Schwartzenegger movie? Total Recoil?

Are there no sacred cows?

It's what you do when this dog tries to lick you ...

Vapor watch. Could you perhaps write a list of what a beginner should purchase as entry level rig. In other words, knowing what you know, what would you have purchased (Vari-pro, nice. $159 nope) as a beginner? Maybe explain atties, juicing etc. This stuff is like GREEK for me. Something under a $100 with 18650 platform (if there is such a beast). I just burned my shirt and I need a vape but don"t know where too start. HELP!

Keith

There is more than one way to shoot your eye out.

Ya, that's going to leave a mark.