Recommend a driver for EE X6 SE

Based on my reading here, I’d love to have a LD-1 but I’m not in a position to buy 3 of them.
I’d like to replace the driver in my X6 to get 4 or 5 amps, not very picky about the modes, and I don’t want to assemble from components.

Can you suggest a solder-in replacement driver that will make this light the hot rod it ought to be?

I got 3 LD-1's on hand. Do you want one? $15 plus shipping. Think I paid $45 for the 3. Let me know - pm.

We’re going to have to do a “domestic group buy” on the LD-1. I am hoping Mtn Electronics would carry this driver.

Pm sent. Thanks!

Well it sounds like I have my preferred option covered, but it’s still interesting to consider the many other options. I was browsing fasttech and there were a few drivers that appeared they would do the job. It’s just hard to wrap my mind around some things such as -are there drivers that will deliver more amps than the led would see direct driven?

Every time I think I understand the differences between drivers I read something that starts me back at zero :~

Go with the LD-1 and make the X6 a true compact monster. Replacing stock driver with a 8x7135 2800mA will not give you that much increase in output, you’ll only see 0.5A additional in a tailcap reading.

The reason why some drivers can deliver more current is because in DD the LED will only draw as much current until the vF is high enough to “balance” with the battery’s voltage. If you direct drive with a fixed voltage source it is possible to get much higher current.

You could get a BLF17DD and run it on a pani 3400…

The BLF17DD is potentially problematic in the X6 due to the beefy brass driver retaining ring. If you can work on the retaining ring to give room for the components on the spring side of the driver then it’s great!

The LD-1 is a one sided board, an easy drop-in with nothing more required than soldering wires onto the driver and led star.

Wight has designed a new BLF driver he calls the A17DD-S08 that is single sided, same great taste, less filling. :wink:

(These A17DD-S08 drivers will be available soon from Richard) (They kick serious butt) (15A to a Quad XP-L in a PH-08 for 4400 lumens out the front)

Subscribed

I’ve bought a LD-1 from Tom E and I’ll update when I get it swapped in.
I’m excited to receive it and lucky that Tom had and offered one as there is 3 MOQ
from led4power.

This light is begging to dissipate some heat, and the stock output is a bit anemic
even on fresh LG HE2’s.

A17DD-S08 looks sweet but iirc I would have to populate that one myself at this point,
and I’ve never done such fine soldering.

Should go out tomorrow morn, with one other to another BLF'er... I'm keeping one Smile. Might get in some A17DD-S08's today or tomorrow thinking. I'm in so many driver directions right now, my head's spinning... Undecided

So with a new driver like the LD-1 in X6 what kind of change would I see in lumens everything else stock?

Probably 4.3-4.5A with no spring bypass.

You’re gonna love the A17DD-S08! Having everything on one side makes it so easy to install, and the pads are big enough that even using a soldering iron to build the driver is easy, if that’s the route you choose.

I’ve got one pulling 15.1A from an Efest 35A on a quad, some 14.7A from a Sony C5. Crazy stuff man! I went ahead and got stencils for solder paste, unbelievably easy. Align the holes in the mask, swipe the paste on, drop the components, sit it on a hot plate and you’re done. I’ve just this morning built one for another Triple X6, waiting on the right emitters to show up… Even the LED leads are placed easy, with a large center pad for the positive lead so it’s away from any grounding out issues.

Can’t wait to hear your impression on these, I love em…

To give a clear answer to the part I bolded above: No, there are not drivers which can give higher current from a single cell than a DD driver will. There are no drivers currently available which will do better than DD in that scenario. It is technically possible and we may eventually see something like that, but nobody is making one.

All bets are off if you start talking about multi-cell drivers such as buck drivers - a large, powerful buck driver can in some cases deliver more current from 2s+ into 1x emitter than you’d see in DD from 1s to the same single emitter. Clearly this is not a really good option for the X6 and I don’t think you were asking about multi-cell setups.

The LD-1 seems like a good driver, please keep us posted about what kind of drive current you achieve with it.

As far as assembling the A17DD-SO8 - Like DBCstm said, I think it’s a really easy to assemble driver. I’ve considered shooting a video or something because I think people find the concept of building a DD driver unduly intimidating. If you can solder LED wires onto a Nanjg-105c I think it’s fair to say that you could build one of these DD drivers with a soldering iron.

Thx Dale! Would be cool with a thread along the lines of “Look what I did to my X6” from spring thing to no holds barred

I’d love to see the video. Let us know when you get one made. I’m one of those soldering-challenged individuals that would be afraid to try building a driver with such small parts. I’m not even confident I could solder wires to a 105C without screwing something up. :open_mouth:

Frankly I think soldering the wires onto a 105c is the bigger pain - that’s why I singled it out. :wink:

I’ll see what I can do.

From what I gather, expecting to go from around 930 lumens to around 1500 lumens on a LG HE2.
Spring bypass will probably be required to reach this.

I’ll try to do a before and after beam shot comparison when the driver arrives.

Will follow this thread with interest!