Recommend me an AA/14500 light

Hey guys, new here and this seems to be a great place compared to a certain forum that frowns on budget lights :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, I’m a flashaholic noob, and looking to buy a new light after my old one stopped working.

I’ll be taking this light overseas in a few months to a country where blackouts are common. So ceiling bounce to light up the room is going to be a common use.

Things I need:

- More flood than throw (= more light in the room? )

- Tailstanding

- at least 2 modes (would prefer no flashing modes but I can live with them)

- ability to use 14500 to “wow” people

- Reliable light without issues such as mode not changing, light dying after a while, unreliable on 14500, etc.

Budget: ~$30

Also I should mention that I already ordered the trustfire R5 A3 after reading up on it here. It’s on the way, and I feel like getting another flashlight while it comes :slight_smile:

What do you guys recommend?

This one from Lighthound, or its twin sister the Balder

LIghtHound XM-L AA

[quote=trooplewis]
This one from Lighthound, or its twin sister the Balder

LIghtHound XM-L AA

[/quot

I bought both. it wows on a 14500 and gives great run times on NiMh. The Lighthound clip is bezel up. Balder bezel down. It is so lite I use the lighthound on my ball cap for hands free.

Keith

hmm that seems like a nice light; I assume the balder equivalent is this? http://edcplus.com/balder-se1-w-cree-xml-t6-aa14500-p-64.html

Can’t buy from lighthound as I’m in australia.

I just saw a few reviews of the Xeno E03, that seems like a good/popular light as well. Any reasons for Balder over Xeno in my case?

Also thanks for the help :slight_smile:

Welcome to BLF RaVeN!

I like Balder more than Xeno, mostly because of the design (= better grip), decent low also with 14500, and clip. My Balder has also a better NW tint than my Xeno (Xeno is more yellowish).

However, Balder doesn't tail-stand, at least without modifications.

It's not that straightforward. :( You can get also Balder the other way around, see my thread here.

You'd better ask the dealer and confirm which model they have..

Ah that’s a bummer… Tailstanding is quite important for my use. What type of modifications would I be looking at?

The Balder BD1 seems to tailstand, but is abit beyond what I’m looking to spend.

Any other lights in this category? Leaning towards Xeno E03 atm.

I haven't modified mine, because I like it as it is, but I suppose shaving a bit off from the nipple of the switch (and/or rubber boot) might do the trick. Maybe someone has done this and can confirm?

I wouldn't forget the Xeno. It's not a bad light at all. I just happen to like the Balder a bit more. :)

It's good to have you here, RaVeN!

Alright thanks for the help the, Xeno E03 it is.

And I appreciate the welcome raccoon :smiley:

Xeno E03 fits your bill. Try to read all info re the light, also check out the runtimes. They may be too short for your serious purpose.

Zebralight SC51 was the good choice :smiley:

The Jetbeam BA-10 runs on 14500s and is a SCREAMER! I have one. It is good on AAs but 14500 knocks your socks off. Almost as bright as my Fandyfire 2011 with 18650 and XM-L. Really impressed with it with 14500. It is a two mode, high and low and build quality is very high. I think you can pick them up for about $30. I paid like $25 for mine ever so slightly used.

Have E1320 make you an AA/14500 kit light .

The one he made for me is 5 modes , neutral XML T6 3C , it tailstands and , on high , is brighter than the famed UltraFire 3 mode T6 .

+1 for Xeno E03 and also for JB BA-10, aka Klarus P1A. Dozen of light with 14500! (not supported officially, but works w/o problems). Only one thing, both JB and Klarus have XP-G led, while Xeno have 3 versions: XP-E (WW), XP-G (NW, CW) and XM-L (NW, CW, don’t know about WW). Xeno will have more flood/ceiling bounce though. JB and Klarus can tail stand, but better on flat surface.

There isn’t another 14500 flashlight in the world that stands a chance against that monster I made you

!!

I didn’t think e could ship international though? :cry:

I actually found a nice lady at the post office who has been helping me out. I managed to ship a drop in to Canada for $3.80. So I am now willing to try other countries.

Yehaaaaw 8) I may be able to get an e 5 mode after all! Get in! 8)

the Xeno is a nice light but the Low mode is still very bright and does not have a lot of runtime, plus it is an XM-L
Floody as heck though, probably one of the floodiest lights I own.