Recommendation for boat flashlight

My first visit. Great idea for a forum.
I’m looking for a budget flash light recommendation. I’m on a boat in the 3rd World and can only buy cheap Chinese flashlights locally. They work fine for about a month and then the switches stick.
Here’s what I need:
• a double AA, LED light for twenty bucks
• must be available on Amazon
• this is a “bedside” flashlight, not a work-light, so can’t be too bright
• I flick my flashlight on ten or twenty times a day so the switch must outlast the first set of batteries
• I hold it in my teeth a lot so a plastic barrel is preferred
If anyone has come across a gem like this, I would appreciate knowing about it.
Much thanks to everyone…
Bry

Don’t know about the flashlight but most small flashlights have a keyring hole so to keep from losing it ------

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WTZPP1S/ref=sspa_mw_detail_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWwp13NParams

Welcome to BLF!

Quite a “normal” list of requirements, most forum users here are into higher-end lights, especially those running on lithium rechargeable cells.

What country are you in? (to see if there are other forum members in your country who have recommendations on places to purchase lights).

Are you on fresh or saltwater? I’m not a boating guy so not sure if it will impact on any recommendations people have.

And finally, would you consider (well waterproofed) rechargeable options?

1 Thank

Thanks P, but my problem is not losing my light, but keep it going :slight_smile: Bry

Thanks. I’m on salt water, but I have access to US Amazon purchases through a Miami courier. Re-chargeable flashlights sound expensive and over complicated. I’m on a 12V system so no AC, if that makes a difference. I just want a light that lasts longer than a month or two.
Bry

1 Thank

I would recommend having a look at the Sofirn SC18,you can charge it the same way you charge your phone via a 12v charger or battery bank.It will memorize whatever light setting you last used and will last a long time compared to a AA if set on low,you will just have to wrap some tape around the base if you want to hold it between your teeth.

Amazon.com

Acebeam Pokomon.

Can work with 2 AAs, but comes with a double-length Li cell that has its own charging port on the pointy end.

2 brightnesses, always starts on low, but a half-press then full-press and it kicks into high for extra oomf.

Nice firm switch that’ll last a lifetime.

Ooh, they got the 1 AA version for 16bux:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5BZLKWT/

Limited-time dealy, so hit it now if interested.

Looking but can’t find the 2AA one yet.

1 Thank

Oh. “Currently unavailable”.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BBQ8QKRH/

Meh, I tried…

Bought one of these for a gift for a "non-flashlight enthusiast ".

Kinda disappointed how low the low was- I love a good moonlight mode, but not if it’s only a 2 mode light!

Anywhere between 30-75 lumens would have been better, but oh well. For a nighttime bedside light it would probably work well.

The ~5000k 519a behind an optic makes (in my opinion) a really good bean!

Edit: I totally forgot the 1AA version is 3-mode. Why they have different UI for the 2 cell and 1 cell models is beyond me.

Because you called it a Pokémon, now it’s hiding. :smiley:

1 Thank

I would get a diving light as that would resist the elements better. The harsh elements will destroy most lights.

I hope you have fun here, Bry!

1 Thank

This is the flashlight I currently use. It’s perfect except for the lousy switch which is crapping out after a couple of months.

Ace brand? (Ace Hardware logo on flashlight barrel), bought locally at a WallyMart-style store. Double AA batteries, ABS plastic, 3 LEDs, 25 lumen, 6.5 inches long. Cost about $12.

I guess you can’t make a good on/off switch for $12 :slight_smile:

Bry

Welcome to BLF Bry!

How about a Convoy T4 with a 519a?

I’m not sure if it’s on amazon, but it is a 2xAA light, the price is affordable, and it has configurable modes so you can set it up how you like.

It’s on Aliexpress for sure if it’s not on Amazon, it’ll get to the US in around 2 weeks.

The light is aluminum, though you can wrap some tape around it so it isn’t as uncomfortable. It even comes in “safety orange” so that it’s easy to see.

It is also relatively easy to repair in case it gets damaged, and spare parts (switch, LED, driver, glass) are available.

It can work on alkaline AAs but rechargeable NiMH batteries are better, as they won’t leak.

Costs around $20 without batteries

A bit more ($24) with a pair of rechargeable lithium batteries, which will last longer than AA

1 Thank

Dont suck it- get a headlamp!

3 Thanks

Much thanks to everyone. Your suggestions are appreciated and “Raccoon” thank you for shining a light on my darker side.

The single battery lights seem a bit small but I can live with that. But the more complicated switches, with their various “modes” are a concern. After all, it is poor (complicated?), switches that caused me to start this thread. A simple on/off switch is all that is necessary for a bedside light. That… and a light that won’t blind me in the middle of the night. I do have plug-in worklights if I need them. I’ve been through a dozen flashlights, including a MagLight, in the last several years and am still looking for something low-end simple; that works. I’ll put my money behind durability rather than features in ANYTHING I buy.

I’ve been through a few online reviews for all of the suggested flashlights. Unfortunately reviewers only look at new products, “right outta the box,” and that doesn’t help me at all. You guys on the forum have handled these lights for a year or two, hopefully longer, so I figure this is my best source for information.

Again, thank you…

Bry

Which Maglite did you use? Did it fail on you? I almost suggested a MiniMag. Maybe a little tape for mouth holding. I have some that must be 20 years old and they still work. Yeah I replaced in original bulbs with LEDs… but the new ones have LEDs . Not sure if it would be too bright… Curious, usually we are trying to recommend lights that will hold 400 lumens for 2 hours. :japanese_ogre:

BTW, just looking at them, the new ones have a low mode that is close to 40 lumens. 127 lumens on high… likely both exaggerated.

Thanks for taking the time, Mandrake…

I bought the Mini Maglight, double AA’s with LED. First off it was way too bright for what I needed and it would get so hot, I couldn’t hold onto it. I wrote MagLite but they didn’t bother to respond. From what I’ve read, the old Mag’s were much better than what they offer today. I’d never buy from them again.

Bry

1 Thank

A little more expensive but maybe an Olight I5T plus would suit your requirements.

Comes with a life time warranty.

I haven’t tried the new ones… was it too bright even on the low level? That sort of gives a reference for how low you need it to go.