recommendations for a light for use in muddy water

Hello all,
Can anyone recommend a light that would be suitable for use in muddy water up to 20ft depth? I don’t believe this depth requires a dive light if I remember correctly? There may be grit that might make a magnetic ring switch not ideal. I would say 500lumens would be more than enough. The light currently being used is a plastic piece of garbage that allows water ingress constantly and only works intermittently. A potted driver is probably a good feature as other people that would be using it would not neccesarily keep the o-rings clean and lubed. Oh, and it has to be fairly light-weight as it is lowered into the water attached to a tape measure. If any one can point me in the right direction here, I would appreciate the help.
Thanks!

Button-type divelights, yeah, you’ll constantly be unscrewing the doodad and having to flood the hole and rinsing off the button/spring.

One exception would be the DV-S9 if you can find one. Big screw-on ring that holds a plastic slider for the magswitch. Sliding it to the middle and hosing down the switch would be enough.

Otherwise, get a simple light like a S2+ and just rtv the shiite out of it. Between front glass and head, coat the O-ring too. Between button and tail, too. As long as you’re happy with the light afterward, you can (weak) threadlock the head to the tube and only leave the tail with heavily-greased threads.

Hey, thanks, Lightbringer.
I appreciate the help. I don’t have any experience with lights under any real depth of water.

I was gonna add, with the DV-S9 that takes a 26650, you can use an 18650 but wrap it with bubblewrap to center it. That should give it a little more buoyancy.

1 Thank

I’ll have to do some searching and see if I can find one. Thanks again!

You mention a tape measure, is this to use as a dive light or are you using it as a way of measuring the clarity of the water?

IPX8 is basic standard, it’s not really a dive light standard.

What brightness and runtime do you need?

Thanks, Gravelmonkey.
I’m using it to measure depth of mud in a tank of water. I’d say 500 lumens is plenty and 30 minute runtime is more thank enough. I ended up looking at IPx8 standard, and it’s only specifying a depth of 1.5m whereas I need to be using it at up to 20ft or ~6m.

Armytek Prime C1 Pro or C2 Pro.
Rated for up to 10m depth.
Double o rings. They don’t need to remove the battery to recharge it. Underwater even the C1 should stay above 500 lumens.

Thanks Oli, I’ll check them out