Recommendations for Li-ion 18650 charger/capacity tester

Hi, i have some 18650(~300) and I’m sarching for a charger and capacity tester. Best if it’s cheap(-50€). A 4 slot would be enough.

Check out this thread:

But there are many around. Don’t be put off by the Sofirn term used in the tittle. The question comes up quite often.

Some other threads:

But there are lots more.

What other requirements do you have. This too will impact any recommendations that I can make. I mean, discharge cycle, storage mode, Internal resistance checking, maximum charge rate, other chemistries (NIMH?) or anything else you can think of that you will need?

1 Thank

Thanks for the links to other threads.
Some of my requirements, based on my low knowledge, are: Charging up to 1A, 2A(optional), able to discharge and charge cycle 2-3 times to check capacity, storage mode(optional), internal resistance(what’s that?), I only intend to use ti to charge Li-Ion 3.6 and 3.7V.
As you may be able to see, I know the basics, but not much more.
PS: if possible, to be able to buy it via aliexpress, or website with shipping to Spain(cheap shipping if possible).
PS2: I have seen some chargers, like the Lii-M4s, Lii-500 and Lii-600. Are they any good?

I don’t have any experience with the ones you mention. When you have time check out the links I sent. There are just so many chargers out there right now. If it helps to narrow it down without all of the reading (though you should do it for a better understanding of what you need vs what is available) The Vapcell S4+ V3 is often recommended around here. I have a V2 model. It does pretty much everything I need it to do and is easy to use. It is available on AlieExpress. Though you might find it in the EU as well. But again, I encourage you to do some reading.

As to Internal Resistance
Internal resistance is one of a few key characteristics that define a lithium ion cell’s performance. A cell’s power density, dissipation, efficiency, and state of health (SoH) all depend on its internal resistance.

The most common analyzer/Chargers use DC IR checking and are not that great at it. But I check it regularly to help me understand the health of the cell. Once you get used to your device it can be used as a general guide to cell health.

You’re going to love it here, Pegoku!
My charger of choice is the Vapcell S4+.

I have the Lii-600 and I´m satisfied with it for LiIon charging and testing. Discharge 4x 750mA for LiIon is not bad. It can charge LiIon up to 3A in all slots, but I never tried it.

NiMH-charging is also good but it´s not good for discharging/capacity tests for NiMH

2 Thanks

Ah, I forget to mention: The charger is beeping if a task is finished and with every push button action

My favorite charger is the Vapcell S4+. It beeps when it finishes, which irritates a lot of persons. But I like it.
You don’t have to watch it like a hawk, just be around doing something else, before taking out the battery.

The Lii-600 also do it but because of Touch-buttons it confirms every push also with a beep

Best notification for task-finishing is the Xtar Dragon VP4+. It can beep, but you can disable it, and it have 4 LED which also show end of task.

True, but for some reason I don’t use mine very often. Also it is quite large. But the worst is that the first one I got died in about 8 months with very light use. I was unable to get anyone to even talk to me about the warranty. I ended up paying full price for a replacement (though looking back I am not sure why I did that). I originally got it because of the external IR testing capability. That really does not work that well . So it just doesn’t get used much. For the price of the VP4+, I would suggest that a person would be better of just spending the small difference and getting an MC3000. It does everything well and it has clear indicators for process completion. Beeps, plus bright green lights that can be seen across a room show you when it is done with each cell.

Another vote for the Vapcell S4+ or it’s successor the Vapcell S4 V3.0.

I don´t mean I will recommend it more than the Lii-600 or Vapcell, just want to say it have a good notification about finished tasks.

I use it also not that often but it´s a nice charger for bigger cells and IMHO the best Xtar charger overall.

The MC3000 costs here minimum 110€ and is not on stock in many shops, the Dragon 60€. That´s a big price difference, I think also the MC3000 is not build for any user.

1 Thank

Yes. Just looking I see the VP4+ at about $70 and the Mc3000 at $110. My point is that if one is going to spend what the VP4+ costs then the $40 more for the best of the best is not that much (though, obviously it can be a deal killer for somone on a budget). But I get it, not everyone needs all of the capabilities that the MC3000 offers. But if a person wants the best cylindrical cell charger currently available, there is no other choice. SKYRC worked for over a year with users to include everything that they wanted into a single cylindrical cell charger. Then another almost two years to fix everything that they found wrong with it. If you use one, you can tell that this happened.

Besides I have one that has been in use almost daily for 12 years. Much more than the 8 months I got out of my first VP4+. Just that justifies the price difference to me.

Nope, I have a lot of chargers, also 2 from Skyrc but not the MC3000.

The topic starter looking for a 50$-charger, I think the MC3000 won´t fit in this :wink:

1 Thank