Recommendations on a all round edc convoy s2+ leds

Gonna build a s2+

I would love you guys input on what led to use for a edc for work , I would like it to throw a bit bit bit also be a nice colour for checking inside machines at parts that need to fix etc
Machine is a production line and I need to see inside glass windows , to the back of the machine is about 30 cm , I’d like to show off a bit with the guys so a longish throw , wideness doesn’t to be massive
I’m open to suggestions and what different leds would produce

I’ve got a few c8s so I’m on the convoy buzz

Even with a SST, “S2+” and “throw” really shouldn’t go in the same sentence.

For close-in work, I like a wider-angle TIR lens instead of a reflector.

A LH351D is an all-around nice LED, but the come-with XM-L in a 4C bin is really nice behind a TIR lens. “Warm sunlight”, sez me.

If you’re using it to peer into machine innards, I’d stick with floody over throwy. Just saying…

Try it. You’ll thank me later.

I would go with warm colors too. Makes colors appear more genuine. I actually like warm tints now. A XP-L with 5A bin is really nice too. Vermilion Red and light Orangy look. Super relaxing light.
Vermilion Red is sorta Orange with hints or light red

By inside glass windows do you mean through glass. I have found that throwers are best for seeing through glass unless you are up in the high lumen flooder category. The S2+ with XPL high will give you pretty decent throw for a tube light. You can always add DF or TIR later if you decide you want a more even beam. I’m currently using a TIR in mine and loving it.

The Cree XP-G3 is a good choice for a single LED build or a triple in an S2+

Cree XP-3G S5 3c 5000k

Approximate light output: 777 lumens @2A - 25 degrees celsius

Cree XP-G3 R3 4000k 90+ CRI

Approximate light output: 528 lumens @2A - 25 degrees celsius

Cree XP-G3 R2 3000k 90+ CRI

Approximate light output: 492 lumens @2A - 25 degrees celsius

NOT NOT NOT behind a reflector, though. G3s are Pure Evil, with the absolute worst angular tint-shift I’ve ever seen.

If you don’t mind a horrendous fried-egg beam with hideous urine-yellow corona, have at it. But even as a mule, you can see hideous tint-shift from center to edge.

? would this be nice and warm

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1038507658.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.49.3c0b2b15Ng9il4

then i could use one of th8x 7135 drivers from convoy simon?

ill get th eoptics later, but try on the reflector untill i get some optic sorted

Get a TIR on an S2+ with 4C tint, makes a very useful floody EDC.

100% agree!
No XP-G3 for me! I only have XP-G3 in 2 lights with: 3 x XP-G3 (5000K 90CRI) + Tripe TIR + difuser sheet! And it still has shifts…

THIS!!!
:+1:

thanks for all the info guys

ill try a 4c tint and see if i can find some kind of tir

ive got an old led lensor tir that might fit

thanks dudes you are great

chris

In all but the floodiest TIRs XP-G3s still have awful tint shift and usually greenish hue.

There are so many better options if you want high CRI and a small-ish emitter. SST-20, 219C, LH351C, etc.