Replacement 14500 Flashlight Recommendation

Received the TS10 today. What a great little light. Prefect for what my needs are.

And thanks to @jon_slider. The first thing I did was turn the aux leds to low. It is just enough to easily find the light in the dark.

Bob

3 Thanks

Glad you like it. Wurkkos definitely hit it out of the park with the light. I also really like that they are continuing to develop it and adding options for materials in response to what the community likes.

4 Thanks

I ordered a couple of the flat top Vapcell F12 cells that @jon_slider recommended to go with it. A new flashlight deserves new cells. :flashlight:

In the meantime I am running some older efest 650ma cells I used in my Klarus. They are 50.4mm so they fit fine.

Bob

1 Thank

Yes, I use the F12s flat top cells for most of my 14500 lights. I may be the one that wrote the recommendation (??)

Not that it matters, but I was scratching my head thinking that I thought I had mentioned them … I just needed to make sure… :japanese_ogre:

A few, where I look for Max output (not usually a great idea with lights this size, but impressive to dazzle the friends at times) I use the H10. Anyway, I really like the F12 cells.

1 Thank

I agree it is all your fault that HorizontalHunter bought F12 flat tops for his TS10… lol

Dont blame me, I only mentioned the F12 in a different thread

2 Thanks

IMHO, the TS10 is the absolute best value in a 14500 light. Lowest price I have seen is $9. Its not the best 14500 light though. My vote for best 14500 is the Acebeam TAC AA.

Why?

Much better build quality.
Much more usable shape, I find the TS10 to be too small.
Non Andruil. My preference.
Mechanical tail switch. My preference.
Zero parasitic drain.
Works with lithium and AA batteries which makes it 1000% more versitile and useful.

Conclusion: TS10 best value really in any light period however IMHO not the best 14500 light for reasons mentioned above.

Please note these are my opinions.

2 Thanks

I’m more interested in battery capacity and run time than max output so I went with the F12’s.

Bob

1 Thank

totally respect your clearly stated personal preferences, even though mine are different

the AA Tac has a lowest mode of 5 lumens. That does not work for me, I am a big fan of sublumen options, and the TS10 can reach some of the lowest lows of any light (similar to Zebra and HDS)

AA Tac is a 4 mode light, Im spoiled by Anduril and place a high value on its ability to reach outputs inbetween the typical 4 mode clicky lights

AA batteries, for me, are a waste of time… the max output is very limited, and if Im going to use Eneloop, which require recharging, I may as well use rechargeable LiIon

otoh, a convenient feature of the AA Tac is they provide a USB rechargeable 14500… that battery also works in a TS10 btw… and converts it into a light that does not require a separate charger, making it more convenient to gift, or travel light…

and I agree a mechanical switch has no parasitic drain… although… I dont mind the eSwitch in the TS10, it works fine for me, and I like that it is silent, unlike a mechanical clicky. The parasitic drain is low enough for it not to bother me, plus the light has a battery voltage meter that I find very useful

One thing I dont appreciate about either the AA Tac or the TS10 is that they use PWM…

Size: I prefer the small size of the TS10… if I wanted a 4 mode light the size of the AA Tac, I would strongly consider an 18650 Zebra, which is actually shorter than the AA TAC (except I cant stand the Zebra UI either)

choices are good… there is no perfect light for every scenario… I think that is why I keep buying more lights… lol

2 Thanks

Yes, for me the AA Tac, though a really nice light, is too big for an AA light. But then I find the Pokelit to be bigger than I like.
The TS10 is just a great EDC pocket light. It Isn’t bright enough for some things, but fine for the vast majority of tasks that I use it for daily. Plus I have lots of choices for larger lights where sheer brightness or throw is required.
I must say that I would welcome the ability to use 1.5/1.2 volt cells. It is always nice to have options.

that was why I went w the Skilhunt H150… it is smaller in every dimension than the AA Tac, plus the H150 has fully regulated output and NoPWM

and if you want a standard reflector, instead of Tir in a headlamp, the Skilhunt M150 has all the same advantages (size, driver) as the H150, over the AA Tac

1 Thank

I agree. I have a horde of AA/14500 lights, but the M150 is my favourite by a wide margin. It does absolutely everything well.

2 Thanks