REV Victor Enthusiast

Top binned lenses.
Cough bulls#it cough

They bin lenses now?!
Damn, where can I get some high bin ones!

There are some other lights with up to 2km range (2187 yards).
http://flashlightpacks.com/led-illuminator-projects-beam-distance-of-1700-meters/
http://www.wavien.com/flashlights/

At least the Panasonics they are selling are a good deal.

That store belongs to CPF member “Saabluster” maker of the DEFT aspheric flashlight

Ahhh, I wouldn't be jumping all over this guy. he is a BLF member, not active now, and I can be 99.9% certain he knows more about thermal management in LED flashlights than any regular around here on BLF. If anyone can get even close to what he's achieved in this light, speak up, because I haven't seen or heard of it. I can guarantee there will be BLF members buying this light, well maybe 1 or 2 (Smile). We struggle to get 400 kcd or in some cases, 700-800 kcd, but no one comes close to his #'s is a package this size, period, and certainly not in a package that can be reproduced and sold in even limited quantity.

He did the same thing with a reflector based TN31, dedomed XP-G early on, and then the revolution of LED based throwers began.

There's a bunch of tech that went into this thing - I only know because I've read his posts, and read up on his work. If you ask nice, he just might tell you a little about it, and we all can learn something.

This is like dejavu all over again (https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/27218) Surprised He hasn't been on BLF for like 1 1/2 years, but honestly, I can't blame him for how he gets treated here. No one is saying you have to buy his lights, but there are things to learn.

+1

I have one of his 1,035kcd Deft X (based on a K40) lights and you’ve got to compare it side-by-side, in action, to my other ‘modded’ lights, to really appreciate his work.

Michael Johnson is no Johnny-come-lately to the modding world, nor is he claiming exaggerated Heider-spec lights.
If he values his work that much and some of us can’t of course easily afford it, why can’t you let it slide, and look for something else.
Let’s be more respectful of another man’s work.

A man cannot expect to be respected if he does not behave or talk in a respectable manner himself.

Just my .02c

Yeah, they are only about 3x the price that other stores sell them for.

Yep! Bad to the bone, his work, skills and lights are! :wink: Better quit turning down the overtime now! :bigsmile:

I have to admit I’m not into super throwers. So I don’t know how his light compares to others out there. Still $1000 just feels excessive for any pocket flashlight.

But not to these guys here, whew!!!

REV Victor Enthusiast

Still waiting for lightsaber to be made

GB!

Just a little more info on this beast, 1300 kcd is 2280 meters, and the light gets 2 hrs of runtime on hi, in a K40 size light, though it looks like the bezel has been slightly extended. The dedomed XP-G2 S4 is driven no more than 5A, probably in the 4-4.5A range.

The REV Victor is 1050 kcd for a range of 2049 meters. It has a runtime of 2.5-3 hrs. I'm guessing the de-domed XP-G2 S4 is this model is driven no more than 3.5A, probably close to 3A.

The patented waiven collar/technology is used in these lights under license. I think the Deft-X was the first model using this technology.

So:

1300 kcd in a K40 host: $1000

1050 kcd in a K40 host: $800

~1000 kcd in a TM36 host: $600 (TM36vnM - by vinh on CPF, but limited run, not sure of availability)

so that one has a fixed aspheric lens and a collar ?

Yes. Michael's designs typically don't go with crazy high amps like we will do, though this one is cranked up to probably the highest level he's ever done. The resulting beam is very concentrated with little no none spill - typical of well focused aspherics, probably square beam. Funny - looks like his posts on CPF have more info in them than what you will find on the OSTS website.

So anyone know where to find “top binned lenses”? :smiley:

I’m kidding. Because I’ve never binned lenses unless they were a reject batch that someone else had to pay for, for the mistakes a company made. I have a few hundred pounds of lenses that are 40-20 grade freshy fresh new, made for one purpose only.

There’s two more lights coming, and we are working right now to try and get them rolling before X-mas.

If people are paying $995 for 1.3…. I won’t even go there.

Cheers

:evil: :santa:

MEM - there's guys that will pay more than $1000 for 1.3 mcd (is mcd the right abbrev or kkcd? ). Look at the MaxaBeam here - about $2K for the light only, to get a 2 mile range, but in a 3.3 lb package. Sold here: http://www.brightguy.com/Maxa+Beam/Maxa+Beam+Light+Only. Think this is the latest model of the one used on Jurassic Park, not sure though.

i am sure MEM will buy a 2 Mcd :wink: handheld (K60 sized?) monster for less than 750 bucks for us….

:smiley:

No, I want him to make it and sell it to us, but no bigger than a K40 . Like Hotcakes... The goal has been set.

Ohh - bout binning..Well we all know LED's in the same bin vary all over the place, so do aspheric lenses, so do reflectors. So if you got a good way to test, binning this stuff could and would be done, if your margins are there to cover costs.