Review: Aleto XML-T6 5 Mode 26650 "Zoomie" - The big brother to the Sipik SK68! *PIC HEAVY!*

The only thing I dislike about both of them is the next time you switch it on it goes to the next mode, so if you first have it on high, then switch it off, it will always go to medium (or low if 3 mode) next. then it will go to the next mode the next time, so after low you get strobe. I’d prefer if it only remembered for a couple of seconds.

spaceboy, it seems like the smaller one has more positives aspects than the Aleto. I am sure both are great zoomie lights.

Relic38, haha! no no… can’t give in lol… I think I will be going with the smaller one since I do not use/have any 26650 batteries.

What’s the difference between these two? One is a clone?

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1174500

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1206301

They are both clones, meaning neither is an original product. I’m not sure which is better, if there is any difference. I sent the UF one to someone IIRC. I do not recall seeing any feedbaxk on it.

Not true. The Aleto seems to be the original 26650. There is no other as far as I am aware.

The Sipik sk98 (original 18650?) has a hollow pill and is worse than the one in this thread I believe.

The 18650 has a smaller pill than the 26650 so heatsinking is not as good. I reckon you could leave the Aleto on high for longer.

I was referring to the two SK98 items Sergio linked, not the 26650 version. I have no idea who created the original 18650 version.

>>>>>>What size o-ring do I need to make a nice smooth zoom?

Harbor Freight and ebay both have giant o-ring assortments for $15 and under. That’s what I use. Try a few sizes until I find the right one, but I didn’t write down what I used, so I have no idea which one is on there.

Good quality o-rings too. Sure beats going to Home Depot and buying 10 (that may not be the right size) for $5. You can have 250 (or more) for twice the price. Both HF and ebay have both SAE and metric assortments. I use SAE on lights, although I’m sure the lights are designed and manufactured using metric measurements. But they work fine also and the metric police haven’t nabbed me yet for subbing an o-ring measured in inch fractions instead of one measured in metric.

Getting rid of that horrible scratchy metal c-ring even made the light seem brighter. :wink:

Agree, NICE review! (As a CREE nubie, I learned much… with many questions to research.)

I am wondering about the, “it has memory”, response, ’though…(’bought one within minutes of reading that!). Later, following up on O-ring sizes, I got to page 2… where I encountered additional comments indicating the switch cycles sequentially through five modes, just like the bronze UltraFire I received from Hong Kong last week…? While hoping there is a mode memory (such that I can repeatedly turn on in low mode, without having to quick-cycle through 4 other modes before turning off), how does that work? (i.e., what is the switch sequence necessary to implement memory?) In most other respects, Aleto seems to match UltraFire (except UltraFire zoom is as smooth an action as I have felt on zoom camera lenses), so perhaps, the UltraFire also has memory, I just don’t know how to activate…?

It’s ironic that, with all my questions about switch sequences and memory, the light I received has a defective switch… so I have yet another weeks wait (for replacement switch… BTW, seller quickly responds/acts on problem reports!) The defective switch occasionally latches in ON position, with half-presses (while ON) sometimes advancing modes (sometimes skipping a few… probably multiple imperceptible make/break contacts).

In spite of that, I do have some “nubie” impressions/comments (with the caveat that a bad switch may invalidate ’em).

My only CREE comparison is with the aforementioned bronze UltraFire:
151025598364 bronze UltraFire
261144236855 black UltraFire
(above are eBay item #s… enter # only in search field)

In spite of a much smoother/steady zoom on the UltraFire—and that UltraFire appears to be ~30% brighter)—I prefer the lower intensity and the color temperature of the Aleto. Without being sure of terminology, I think the Aleto is closer to “neutral” than the UltraFire, which is a bluer white.

In looking for where/how O-rings are installed, I unscrewed the lens/bezel. Further access was not apparent, so I replaced bezel, but neglected to screw it tight. I was quite surprised by the “new” 1:1 zoom, which was (then) a slightly smaller, softer focus square… which I find preferable to the CREE “projection” (with lines evident between 6 strips and the 3 connections). My intention is to try adding a thicker O-ring/s to make this the new zoomed-in “default”. (Backing up 3 of the zipper-like clicks brings the CREE into original 1:1 focus.)

I haven’t read many CREE “zoomie” forums, so this “soft” focus point may be old news… but ‘tis new to me, and perhaps other CREE nubies around. Hopefully, I’ll soon know how memory on the Aleto works… ’just waitin’ for that switch!

I keep meaning to measure and shop for a glass lens. Hoping someone can save me from reinventing the wheel. Has anyone replaced the plastic lens with a glass one yet?

Either I got a different light, or I have a different perspective on how bright something is.

Ok I’m not saying it’s the brightest, but it certainly is many hundreds of lumens away from being dim.

You have a valid point. Dim was an overstatement. Its just not nearly as bright at my other xml t6 lights. I haven’t gone through the light yet. So there could just be a leak connection somewhere or something. I’m hoping it’s something like that.

Hello,

i finally got the Aleto flashlight and i have to admit, i like it really very much!
It is a more than decent flooder and the build quality is absolutely incredible for the price paid.
The lens is not very clean (as stated by the original poster) but it does it’s job pretty decent.
Overall i have to second the claim of the original poster: Every flashlight junkie should get one of these - really! :bigsmile:

[edit]
I should add the info, that this flashlight doesn’t have a memory. If you shut it down for at least 5 seconds, it starts in the “high” mode. Since it has a forward clickie, you simply step forward with half clicks, until you have reached the desired mode and click “thru” - that’s all! :slight_smile:

I modded the Aleto, upping output from 4k lux to 10k with a new driver and a U3 emitter.

Details are here:

Hope this helps!

I finally opened mine up last night. It’s not a bad light. It did have a plastic reflector insulator under the led base though (between the led base and the pill). The thin sheet kind that comes with adhesive backing and a hole punch that comes out. It still had the adhesive backing and hole not taken out yet. So it had pretty much no heat sinking. It did have thermal paste though. I wouldn’t have found it if I didn’t clean off paste.

Put in a dedomed emitter and the output was like 300% better than before. Also the heat from the led comes out pretty fast now. I think I’m going to have to copy Ubehebe’s mod. This is going to be a great light to have now.

They must have quit making this because I can’t find one anywhere. :_(

I used mine a lot at work and eventually it stopped working properly. First the modes disappeared so I only had high and off, and the battery contact got pretty bad and I had to stop using it. For me the 18650 Sipik SK98 is far better. For 26650 I’m sure there’s a better light available.

Mine seems fine still. I swapped in a NW XP-G2 and Qlite 3.04A when I got it though. Machining and some parts look very similar to the Ultrafire F13.

edited

> For 26650 I’m sure there’s a better light available.

But where?
(searching eBay for Aleto zoom brings up a lot of different lights, I am not sure which one was recommended if any of those)

What’s the current advice for a 26650 zoom?
Need one for a bicycle handlebar clamp light

more edit: this one? Looks like the same light, Smiling Shark version:
http://www.lightmalls.com/26650-sk68-style-smiling-shark-ss-a87-cree-xm-l-t6-zoom-5-modes-led-flashlight-torch-1x18650

“26650 SK68 Style | Smiling Shark SS-A87 Cree XM-L T6 Zoom 5 Modes LED Flashlight Torch(1x26650)
Sku: M0791 Weight: 0.2000 kg
$12.50

Different, cheaper at $8.19 (oh, sneaky, plus $2.45 for airmail with tracking, only option, they insist on it at checkout:
http://www.lights-box.com/cree-q5-led-350-lumen-3-modes-zoom-flashlight-with-anti-slip-handle-1-x-26650-battery

Hm, I’ll wait on advice, since that total costs almost as much as the Aleto-like light.

Better advice welcome — for a 26650 zoom suitable to put on a bicycle with a handlebar clamp.

Would like one of these “SK68” 26650 units, but will wait for the price to drop.

The link in the opening post now says “sold”.