Review: Convoy M1 XM-L T6-3C 2.8A 2-Group 3/5 mode

Yes, on my model which is the M2 is does always blink in low mode after a few seconds. Although this does not annoy me personally because I am rarely ever in low mode I stick to Hi. For some people this might bother them possibly.

For me a quick single blink doesn’t annoy me at all. Maybe it would if it was every mode but YMMV.

Awesome!!!

and

Awesome! Wait until you get it out in the dark. One of the best all around useful beams ever. Love mine! :wink:

Looks great and beam is awesome. I will post some beam shots on the weekend. One minor issue though: I can hear some slight buzzing/whining from it. Not all the time, but mostly when I change modes. Should I be concerned?

That whining/buzzing is perfectly normal while changing modes on that driver. Medium will make the highest amount of noise. Low a little.
Its the PWM working at a certain frequency.
There is a “new version” of that driver now without the whine.

Good to know! I was concerned for a moment. Thanks!!

Is it possible to convert the M1 to forward clicky?

Ordered this light on 3/18, it took only 8 days to get from Hong Kong to San Francisco. 11 days and counting to get from San Fran to Boston…

I’ve got an XM-L2 3C on a copper sinkpad and a handful 7135s just waiting, and waiting, and waiting.

JohnnyMac Thank you for a great review!! I went ahead and bought one for myself.

After receiving it though, I was a little disappointed to realize that, 1) the pill rattles around when the bezel or battery tube isn’t tightned properly. The rattling gives the impression that there is a bit of space between the threads of the body and the pill which isn’t the best thing for thermal conduction. 2) The threads the pill screws into is anodized (as can clearly be seen in your pictures). This different from their C8 flashlight and is another barrier against thermal conduction from pill to body. In fact, last night I had the light on for about 15mins on high and when I picked it up, was pretty sure that the body tube was hotter than the head. (body tube when screwed in touches the base of the pill directly). Can anyone else confirm my findings?

Nothing wrong with your light. Make sure the reflector and bezel are tight then tighten the pill against the reflector. It is a pass through design and the pill can unscrew out the back or the front. If the pill is not tight against the reflector the simple act of unscrewing the body from the head can loosen the pill by backing it out a little.

I covered that in my review in my reassembly instructions and someone else before you had the same issue. ;)

I’ve done a thermal test on this light. Heat is transferring very well if the pill is tight.

can you tell us more about how you did this thermal test?

No.

OK, I’ll share. :smiley:
Fully charged cell, light tailstanding. Have your IR temperature probe handy.
Before turning on, measure temperature of head and body.
Turn on light to highest output, measure temperature every 10 seconds for the first minute.
Measure the temperature every 30 seconds for the next two minutes.
Measure the temperature every minute for the next seven minutes.
If the light reaches 55C before 10 minutes, stop the test.
Larger lights go to 15 minutes.
I have the data scribbled down somewhere. I recall it quickly jumping to 45C then hitting 55C in about 6-7 minutes.

I may have to re-run the test just so I can post the data.

why stop at 55ºC?

55C is when handling gets uncomfortable, and I just don’t see a point in pushing it beyond that.
In actual use (other than tailstanding) the light will stay cool due to air currents and absorbed by the hand.

I swapped the XM-L out for an XM-L2 3C on a copper sinkpad and added 3 7135s to the driver last night.

Perfect timing, I’m heading up the the lake for a few days so I’ll have plenty of time to check it out, it get’s very dark up there! :bigsmile:

This was my first time adding chips to a Nanjg driver, I found it more difficult than the KD V2. Seems like there is less room between the existing chips and spring. Maybe it’s just that I’m not used to it.

At any rate very nice light, thanks Johnny.

You’re most welcome! :slight_smile:

You MUST report on the results of that upgrade. Sounds killer! >)

I’ll try to get some pictures while I’m up north, it’s about time I learned how to take beamshots.

Nice upgrade Infiniti. I think it will be less dark at the lake this weekend :slight_smile: