Review: Convoy S2 2800mA U2 1B from Fasttech

According to the Cree Product Characterization Tool an XM-L2 U2 at 2.8A (85ºC) produces 937.1 lumens, assume about 75-80% OTF and you get about 700-750 lumens

If you get standard star fw, its a throttle after 120 seconds, it will throttle back to around half power after that. I found 120 seconds to long, my s2 got uncomfortable to hold. I use the same throttle back value, but after 90 secconds on full power. Now it stays in the comfortzone ( in winter i would really like it).
60 as WarHawk-AVG uses is rather quick and won’t heat it at all i suppose.

Good review Bort. Nice writing and photos.

Can somebody point me to the right usb programmer for flashing the driver please? Thanks!

ok thanks! i didnt have anything to compare it to except a 150 lumen light and a friends 272 lumen mini mag and it is brighter than both of those.

i might be the guinea pig and give them a try.

i got a custom star firmware, its going to be 90 seconds. but if i add 7135 chips to make it 3.3a or 3.6a, 90 seconds might be to long. i need to get the flashing tools to experiment. i have a usbasp flashing tool for a turnigy 9xr transmitter, but im unsure if that will work. i need to get a eeprom clip to find out.

i think this is the one http://www.fasttech.com/product/1002900-atmega-attiny-51-avr-isp-usbasp-usb-programmer

wow! i need you to come to my house and make me get off my lazy butt……lol i have tons of stuff to do today like, mow the grass, and i dont want to do none of it…lol

i’m happy to visit, i can even purchase a chinese stun gun, i bet DX will have some for sale, i hear they can be quite motivating j/k J)

I have the opposite problem, i have so much to do that its going to take months to years to finish it, though i also have motivation issues, i just end up forcing myself to start

lol! dont tell my wife that she might get one…lol. i also have years of stuff to do and finish stuff that i started years ago….lol

I have different turbo timeout times on my STAR builds…

I built a small 16340 Ultrafire 602B, w/ a 4*7135, there is almost NO pill, very very thin, and even running a XP-G2 at 1400mA, the light gets hot fast, the Convoy has a little bit more meat and doesn’t heat up as fast…I think I have it set for turbo timeout fallback at 60 seconds (I think I am going to reverse the H>L though…have it start in L>H, this way the kids don’t get it and immediately fire it up wide open…uggh

The only lights I like to fire up in High first click are my “bump in the night” sock the badguy in the puss with as many lumens I can muster on first click, but have turbo timeout to fall back to a more reasonable level so as to not overheat

if i get woke up by a bump in the night from a badguy, i will sock him in the puss with high lumens followed by xxx buckshot…… :bigsmile:

Exactly…but positive identification of a target BEFORE you send rounds downrange is paramount…otherwise that $18K bill attached to every bullet you shoot comes into play

I send flying ashtrays :smiley:

if i get woke up and there is someone in my home besides me and my wife thats positive identification there is a lunatic in my house.

Unless you have teens that might have “snuck out”

Positive ID…
then if a threat…judicious application of marksmanship :wink:

Thats why i would use a flashlight, far less lethal but quite disabling, the Convoy M1 would work quite well

:smiley:

Let’s quit side tracking this awesome review…maybe we should start our own thread :stuck_out_tongue:

it sure is, bort did a fantastic job.

i would like to start my own thread but not a defense thread, but an s2 or s series mod thread where everyone can show there mods. i just got through modding my s8 with noctigon sink and qlite driver with star fw off-time mem running at 3.74a. it is noticeably brighter…… :slight_smile: i wish i had a way to check lumen output… :frowning:

going off topic is par for the course on BLF, so i don’t mind, i thought it was funny i was mentioning another Convoy light on a review for a different Convoy light