[Review] Convoy S21E || 1x21700, Luminus SST40/SFT40/Nichia 519A || Convoy with Anduril is here!

The flashlight was sent to me by Convoy for review.
Here’s the product’s link for more info: Convoy S21E

The Convoy S21E comes in a few different colours.
I decided to go with the orange variant and I think it looks really nice.

Overall the build quality is great and the anodisation was spotless.

The S21E uses an 21700 cell and is operated via an e-switch that’s mounted on its head.

The e-switch is backlight and will shine during operation, standby (configurable) or while charging.

Opposite to the e-switch we find the charging interface of the light.
A regular type-c port is being utilised along with a rubber flap to keep dust and moisture away from the interface.

The front face of the head contains a polished metal bezel which keeps the front head assembly in place.
A smooth reflector comes standard with the light.

The bezel can be easily unscrewed, which grants us access to the emitter and PCB board.

The variant of the Convoy S21E I got comes with an SST-40 emitter.
As you can see, there’s a centering ring in place which ensure that the emitter will sit fully aligned on the reflector.

The e-switch can also easily be taken apart via unscrewing the retaining ring that secures it in place.

On the back side of the head we see the driver board, which is held in place via a rubber retainer.
A short, thick spring is used as the positive terminal.
The driver looks like a 1x7135 + FET.

The head integrates heatsinking grooves to help with the cooling under load.

A vertical grooving is applied on the tail cap to help with the overall grip while untwisting it.
There’s also a lanyard loop integrated on it.

The tail is completely flat which allows the flashlight to tailstand.

Anodization is also applied on the tail threads, and thus the flashlight can be mechanically locked out via slightly untwisting the end cap.

The head threads are unanodized.

User Interface

The Convoy S21E comes with either the standard Convoy firmware or Anduril.
This is very exciting, cause it’s the first time Convoy implements Anduril on their drivers - and of course I had to choose that option.

Here’s a schematic demonstrating the UIs capabilities.

Output
Here’s my output measurements using the included EVE 50E 21700 cell, that comes optionally with the flashlight.

As we can see, the S21E draws a maximum of 5.98A of current, which is very close to the manufacturer’s specification.
The high / regulat ceiling is set a 2.89 and the 7135 ceiling is at 0.33.

At its peak power, the flashlight produces 1848 OTF lumen using the Luminous SST-40 emitter.
Of course, since the Anduril firmware supports endless dimming, the user is free to select virtually any output mode between 1 - 1848 lumen.

Power Regulation

Here’s a graph I’ve created to demonstrate the power regulation of the flashlight.
Some notes:

• Turbo: double click while on
  • High: double click while off
  • 7135 Ceiling: the output level where only the 7135 regulator is being used.
    The light’s e-switch will shiny brighter when the output mode goes above this level to indicate that you’re now in the FET territory.

What we can see in the graph:

• Any level below the 7135 ceiling threshold will be fully regulated
  • Modes over the 7135 will have no regulation - their current draw will be proportionate to the input voltage.
  • Turbo tops off at 5.98A of current draw. High sits at 2.89A.

Outdoor Beamshots

Here’s a couple of outdoor beamshots to demonstrate the beam profile of the Convoy S21E.

Overall I’ve really liked the S21E. Having Anduril on a Convoy light was something I wished for for a long time.

7 Thanks

Thank you Bilakos for the review. Some good job was performed here :+1:

For 2 weeks I’m struggling internally whether do I need this light. I know I don’t need 20th pocket flashlight of this size but Simon’s offer is so appealing I think I won’t be able to resist much longer :man_facepalming:

And yet the spiky bezel… I wonder how it looks with this optional one… Or I’d better not check :innocent:

would you be OK w Anduril 1?
I am not.

Obviously, this is a different driver than the old S21E, and it has a spring on the positive end of the battery, hooray. That’s a much-needed fix from the old posts that uglify batteries. Is the charger in this new version is as awful and hot as the original, or has that flaw been fixed also?

I have no prior experience with the older driver of the S21E.
As of the time of writing this post, I’m performing a charge test on one of my cells and will be recording the peak temperature.

Right now I’m seeing a 2.18 of peak input current, so we’ll have a pretty clear picture if the light get warm while charging.

1 Thank

After charging a cell from 3.7V, I recorded a max input current from my 5V power supple of 2.2A
Starting temperature of the flight’s head was 27C.
At its peak, the hottest the head got was 37.5C, so +10.5C ambient.
The light was definitely warmer than ambient but nothing out of the ordinary I’d say.

Im curious about convoy’s alternate s21e driver thats supposed to push 8.5a for the sft40 and sst40. Shouldnt that take turbo lumens up to 2400ish?
How quickly does it get toasty with a 6a turbo?

Is it flashable to 2.0?

Nonetheless I still prefer Anduril 1 over Biscotti

2 Thanks

Convoy S21E Nichia 519A 3000K + Anduril 1.0
A driver arrived with anduril yesterday, which was used to compensate for the wrong flashlight sent.
When I twisted the button with tweezers, it fell off and caused +1 scratch on the coating
The bezel of the button is unscrewed from the side of the positive spring, the two wires on the sprocket are unsoldered and the driver is pulled out, and a new one is installed in its place in the same way. There is no need to unscrew the star.
But now the button lights up.

And few pics

1 Thank

Congrats on your Anduril Convoy and driver swap, thanks for the great pics.

No flashing pads? Can it be updated to Anduril 2?

Sorry, dont know about this (

no worries, enjoy your light :wink:
I hope you and your friends and loved ones remain safe.

1 Thank