[Review] Convoy T3 MAO || 1x14500 / 1xAA, Nichia 519A || Output Measurements and Power Regulation Graphs

The flashlight was sent to me by Convoy for review.
Here’s the product’s link for more info: Convoy T3

The variant of the Convoy T3 I got comes with the very nice MAO coating.
The fit and finish of the flashlight is excellent.
The MAO finish gives it a nice chalky texture.

The flashlight uses a single 14500 / AA cell and is operated via a rear-mounted mechanical switch.

At the front of the flashlight, we can see a smooth protruding bezel that’s used to protect the glass lens.

Looking into the head, we can see a Nichia 519A emitter along with an orange peel reflector.

Of course, the light can be very easily taken apart.
Here’s the head full disassmbled.
As you can see, the light comes with a GITD o-ring.

And a closer shot of the emitter MCPBC.
Plenty of thermal paste seems to be in place.

On the rear side of the head we find the driver, which is held in place via a brass retainer.

The Convoy comes with a reverse-clickie mechanical switch.
To match its MAO finish, the included switch boot is white / translucent.
The switch resides lower than the two metal side flaps of the tail, and thus it allows the flashlight to tailstand.

The side flaps of the tail contains some cut-outs to allow for the installation of a lanyard.

The tail contains a quite thick copper / bronze spring.
It’s set in place via a brass retainer.

Here’s the tail taken apart.

Both the front and rear threads are very cleanly cut.

The Convoy T3 also comes with a detachable pocket clip.
The clip has a polished finish and it provides good retention while maintaining a quite slim footprint.

User Interface

The flashlight comes with Convoy’s 13 mode firmware.
The user is able to choose his preferred mode group via a pool of 13 different UIs.

Here’s all the supported actions:
Turn on/off: Single press.
Mode cycle: Half press.
Configuration mode: 20 half presses.

Feel free to have a look at the product’s page on more information on the available mode groups.
I personally use mode group 1 (1%, 10%, 30%, 100%).
Mode memory is also configurable.
Finally, low voltage protection is only available when the flashlight runs on a 14500 cell.

Output

Here’s my output measurements along with the current draw per each output level using an 14500 cell.

As we can see, the flashlight pushes 448 OTF lumen of High CRI light.
Overall the mode spacing of the light is great.

Power Regulation

Here’s my power regulation graph when running on a 14500 cell.

What we can see in the graph:

• Turbo mode is regulated down to 3.4V
  • High, Medium and Low are fully regulated for the whole span of the battery’s voltage.

And a power regulation graph for an AA / NiMH cell.

What we can see in the graph:

• Turbo is regulated down to 0.9V
  • High, Medium and Low are fully regulated.

Overall the driver is showing great regulation signs!
On both AA and 14500, the driver will gradually increase the current draw while the voltage drops to be able to provide a constant amount of power to the emitter.

Wall Beamshots

Finally, here’s a wall beamshot GIF to help you understand mode spacing.
As already mentioned, I’m using Mode Group 1 (1%, 10%, 30%, 100%).

9 Thanks

Nice review man and I like the gif too, thanks !

Nice review, I am sold.

Nice review. Looks like a very nice light. Really like emitter and tint choices. Just falls short on two things that could be said to be minor yet make it a no go for me. Might be great as a gift light or as something to stash in a vehicle. That form factor to me is EDC. The clip is inadequate and no moonlight so no EDC.
The mechanical switches and over all Convoy quality are fantastic. The emitter choices are superb but do any Convoy lights have a moonlight that is single or sub lumen?

May I ask why you think the pocket clip isn’t good?
Not wanting to counter your opinion - I’m just genuinely curious :slight_smile:

Try the screw on pocket clip that convoy sells. It fits the T3 and it’s a big upgrade over the stock one.

5 Thanks

It is not very deep carry for one. Also, on a short light the clip needs to be longer. With that kind of clip it is too easy to to loose when pulling something out of your pocket. Lost my first TS10 that way! The screw on clip looks great for the additional length and the deep carry ability. However, it now won’t clip to a hat and that is very unfortunate. I don’t have a clip on my TS10 currently and that is just fine as it is loose in my pocket. Clipped in my 5th pocket is an EO3H II. That is an excellent clip. It reverses for deep carry and that is the way I use it. In that position it is not only securely stowed in the pocket but can also clip to a shirt or hat or bag strap etc. Just makes for a whole lot more functional light. Wish more manufacturers would understand this and get it right. Manker does a fantastic job with their clips.

1 Thank

What is the outside diameter of the reflector in this light?

I measured 17.86mm in the wider (top) part of the reflector.

1 Thank

THanks

Thanks for the thorough performance review. One question about modes, though: I just bought a T3. I had looked up running modes and seen that a 0.1% firefly mode could be programmed. I must have seen an old mode chart, because the light that arrived doesn’t seem to go lower than 1%, and a further search revealed a chart showing the lowest possible mode for the light was 1% (same chart linked in your original review). Can someone confirm that the T3 lights being sold at the end of 2023 have omitted the .1% mode? Still a decent light, but I miss having a very low mode…

1 Thank

The T3 stock doesn’t have 0.1%. If you install the 17mm 5a buck driver it has 0.1%. 0.1% with a csnlm1 is still a goofy ball of light thats too bright.

I’ve only seen T3 with 1% from the factory, not 0.1%.

The 1% mode should still be fairly low since it’s 1% of 1.5 amps or 0.015 amps, whereas the low mode on an s2+ is 0.1% of 5 amps or 0.005 amps.

Thanks for the clarification. I saw the info here:

The T3 looks like a fun light for camping. I do miss the very low lows that my old Eagle Tac has, though.

1 Thank

The T3 only goes down to 1% unfortunately, which is why I won’t buy another one. I like my copper T3 and thought about buying the silver T3, but won’t since the 1% low is too bright in the middle of the night. With AA the low is acceptable.

My older 4 mode black T2 (blue driver vs red) has a much lower low.

Here’s the T2 (left) vs T3 on low with Li-ion, and then the T3 with AA:

Could you measure the current of both lights on lowest mode, running AA? I’m not sure if the lower low of the T2 is due to lower current or lower efficiency.

Sure, here you go:

• Copper T3 (red 12 mode driver)
    with 3000K 519A = 0.02A

• Black T2 (blue 4 mode driver)
    with 3500K LH351D = 0.03A

And here’s another one with a slightly brigher low than my black T2:

• Modified flashlight (older Convoy T2 blue 4 mode driver)
    with 219B = 0.02A

Not quite apples to apples comparisons though due to different LEDs.

So do you think the lower lows are due to lower efficiencies?

Here are the drivers (T3, older T2, even older T2):

1 Thank

Thank you for the measurements! It looks like the T2 is drawing more current despite a lower moonlight, which indicates lower efficiency. This means the brighter moonlight on the T3 is completely for free! In other words, if you want a lower low, you can partially cover the front of the light with a finger to artificially lower the OTF output, and still have greater efficiency than the T2.

The lower efficiency seems to be the case when using AA batteries. But since I only use 14500 in these flashlights, I decided to do the measurements again.

Here are the results (on lowest mode):

• Copper T3 = 0.013A
  • Black T2 = 0.004A
  • Modified flashlight = 0.009A

That seems to me more in line with the brightness I’m seeing.

1 Thank

Ah okay, this is indeed a problem because with 14500 the higher moonlight does cost more current. It bothers me less because I use it as a NiMH light, but yeah it has no real moonlight mode with Li-ion.

1 Thank