Review: Cyansky HS6R

This review is of the new Cyansky HS6R Triple Output Rechargeable Headlamp. I received this headlamp for free, as part of the Cyansky giveaway on BLF. The options expressed are my own, and not influenced by the free aspect of the headlamp.

The back and the side of the package list the lumens as 1200 and 1400, respectively.

Per information on the Cyansky website, they list the following specifications:
HS6R Triple Output Rechargeable Headlamp (1400 Lumens / 170M)
Main Application: Outdoor searching and rescuing, and industrial operation
Lighting Colors: White and Red
LED: 1*LUMINUS SST 40 LED (spotlight), 1* LUMINUS SST 20 LED (auxiliary floodlight), and 1*Everlight 2835 (auxiliary red light)
Maximum Output: 1400 lumens / 170 meters
1*18650 / 2*CR123A battery
Charging: Type-C USB Port
Weatherproof: IPX8 waterproof and 2-meter impact resistance, –30-50℃ working temperature

The package contains the following
Cyansky HS6R
Spare switch cover
Spare o-ring
Cyansky 2600mAh button top 18650 battery (loaded in the headlamp)
Basic user manual
Warranty/registration card
USB type A to type C charging cable
Headband and mounting plate (pre-assembled)

The headlamp is constructed from a stout CNC machined aluminum body and is held onto a stamped stainless steel mounting plate with a heavy gauge stainless steel wire clip. It retains the headlamp well, and feels solid when rotated or in use. It takes two hands to rotate the headlamp, as the wire retaining clip is firm. The headband is wide and comfortable, but this hefty headlamp could have used a top strap for better retention and balance. Any sudden movements of my head cause the headlamp to continue that momentum. With battery, the headlamp and strap weighs in at 162g (5.71 oz). Without the battery, it is 113g (3.99 oz). These numbers are the reason why a top strap would be beneficial.

Compared to Sofirn D25S

My only other multi-emitter headlamp is the Sofirn D25S. I considered this headlamp heavy until encountering the HS6R.

LED and mode selection is done with two separate electronic switches (e-switches). The rubber e-switch on the end of the battery tube controls the primary spot LED, while the smaller metal e-switch on top of the light controls the flood and red LEDs. The main spot beam appears to be a cooler color temperature than the flood. The main spot LED is a Luminus SST-40 behind a clear optic, and has a good combination of throw and spill. There are some artifacts in the beam, but it is minimal and doesn’t affect use in any way. The auxiliary LED is a high CRI Luminus SST-20 behind a textured flood optic, and has the perfect beam for anything closer than about 20 feet. The beam is wide, and very well distributed for brightness and color. (This LED and diffused optic combination is my favorite part of this entire headlamp!) A pair of red LEDs sit behind similarly diffused optics on the outer edges of the headlamp and cast a reasonably even red flood. The final mode on the red LED selection is flashing. I have not really found much use for the red LEDs yet, but I can see how this could be useful for preserving dark adapted eyes.

The end cap for the battery compartment is shallow compared to other lights, but the threads are rectangular cut and fully anodized. This allows for lock-out of the headlamp by slightly unscrewing the cap. The threads were not lubricated and felt slightly gritty, but smoothed out well with a bit of synthetic lube.

The headlamp is equipped with a built in USB C recharge port and a 2600mAh 18650 Li-Ion battery. The light ships with a battery isolation tab, and it is removed before the first charge. It was fully charged within 2.5 hours from the low state of shipping, and then I got to put it through the paces. The main LED is bright on high, and the 1400 lumen rating is believable. The initial beam shots that I took looked nearly the same on all levels, and I will need to take additional pictures in manual mode to give a clear indication of what I am seeing.

The spring on the tailcap is gold plated, and there is a brass button on the driver. The modes are well spaced, and I found that the light provides excellent brightness on the medium levels. While I tested it on the highest settings, the medium modes were ideal for my eyes and use. For the majority of the time I used the lower settings, but the high setting was fun to play with.

Final conclusions… The Cyansky HS6R is a solid performing and versatile headlamp, and IMO the flood beam on the light is the best feature. It appears well made and has performed perfectly for me during many hours of use. However, it is on the heavy side for sustained use. After using it for 4 hours in the attic, I had to switch to a lighter weight headlamp. During those four hours, the light from the high CRI flood beam was amazing to work by. I would LOVE to see a Cyansky headlamp based on the high CRI LED and diffused optic. The HS6R would be a good hard hat light, and will likely serve that role for me on an upcoming industrial laser scanning project.

Update with partial teardown shots…
The cover is held on by six T6 Torx screws, and there is a clear silicone o-ring around the perimeter of the optic. The o-ring is lightly lubricated with silicone grease.

The lens is one piece, with molded optics for each LED.
https://imgur.com/oeJwZbt.jpg!

All of the LEDs and driver visible. The power LEDs are mounted to a copper MCPCB with direct contact to the headlamp housing. The red LEDs are mounted to the FR4 PCB.

The warm white LED and one of the red LEDs.

A more direct shot of the copper MCPCB in direct contact with the aluminum housing.