Review- DinoDirect UltraFire™ WF-501B Red Light 160lm CREE LED Flashlight

I was given this light by DinoDirect

Typical crushed white box and bubble wrap.

Is that a cut o-ring?

Yep, definitely a cut o-ring.

Light on:

Inside:It’s not much of a review because I couldn’t take beam shots or give any comments on how it was to use.

The big problem with this light is that it doesn’t make enough light to be useful for anything,

LED:

When I got the package I pulled the 18650 out of my EDC so I could test it right away, I noticed the cut o-ring when I was taking the tail cap off. With a cell in it I hit the switch and there was a brief red flash and then nothing. Well close enough to nothing that you can’t tell the light is on unless you look directly at the LED. I tried again with a fully charged cell and still nothing, later I tried it with a bench supply at 9 volts and it was maybe twice as bright but still well below moonlight.

When I took the light apart, I was disappointed that the LED doesn’t appear to be a CREE emitter and it was not mounted on a MCPCB it was just sitting on a blob of thermal compound over some Kapton tape with wires soldered to the leads.

I’ve been wanting to play with mono color lights I’ve been thinking about buying or building some so I was happy to win the giveaway. I’m also glad that I didn’t pay for the light. Thank you DinoDirect for the host and P60 drop in that I can build a light out of.

what sort of driver?
linear like a 7135 would waste too much as heat.have to be a buck.if dd you know why it flashed.

Other reviews show it has no driver, direct drive.

The driver board is soldered in but NightSpy pulled the one on his light

thats why it died.
red=vf around 2v.
battery over 4v.
a weak whateverfire might work.
a good cell like we are likely to have that can deliver will kill it.
well i guess the slave kids on the line dont know nor care….

your battery must be very very very sloppy to not kill this led direct drive, just any crapfire is good enough to kill it.

I’ve run it up to 9v from a lab supply, and it didn’t change. It still glows faintly on a lithium cell.

I think you are looking at a dead led, the die is fine but an electrical connection inside the led burnt with some minimal conductivity leftover, causing the emitter to light up a bit.

Its nearly a ded.
almost a sed or fed.