[Review] DQG Tiny26650 (Triple CREE XP-G2 R5 CW, 1x 26650)

Welcome to the forum! Starting off with driver pictures...I like you already. If the driver is still out, would you please measure its diameter?

Yesterday i received my DQG 26650 NW, but i’m disappointed :_( It doesn’t work well! When i active the turbo mode the flashlight makes a flash and turns off! Then it doesn’t work anymore, but i have to turn the battery tube until i find a position in which it turns on again, but if i try to go on turbo it stops working again!!….what i can do?
I have written to Ric to explain my problem!
It’s a pity because i like it very much :frowning:

What battery are you using and is it protected? To me (I could be wrong here) it sounds like it trips the protection circuit on your battery..?? This little guy sucks A lot of current on turbo.

You’re right BIG-P! This is also the Ric’s reply: ” Protection battery can not draw more than 5A current. Turbo mode of DQG 26650 is over 6A. So please try a unprotected king kong 26650.”
I have only Soshine and 4Seves 26650 batteries, so i have to buy a King Kong Unprotected to verify that….i hope this is the only problem :wink:
I thank Ric for his support and availability, he is a very good seller!

But someone knows these batteries? http://www.fasttech.com/products/1420/10007457/1628905-icr26650-3-7v-4000mah-rechargeable-li-ion …they aren’t King Kong?..why the price is so high?

Thank you

Ill be corrected if Im wrong, but they look like the ones prior to the branding of KK. Theres a thread somewhere talking about the ones with Chinese writing on them. However they may not be, Im just guessing.

I purchased my King Kong cells form intl-outdoor.com. They work fine in my DQG Tiny 26650 light.

You can always remove the protection PCB of the battery. I would do that before ordering another 26650.
As Ric states, I’ve measured a peak of more than 6Amps on Turbo at the tail.

I have the Blue 4Sevens battery in mine. Reads 3.7v and 4000mah.

Starts on low, and if give it a quick double-click, and it jumps right to turbo mode!

Turbo mode works, definitely brighter than high. So, I can see Turbo Mode is working.

Am I missing something by using this particular Blue color 4Sevens battery, and because it has a protected PCB in it?

Not all 26650 batteries perform the same. As well as not all protection circuits installed in different (or same!) batteries have the same cut-off amperage limit.
Protection circuits are added by third party company, not the cell manufacturer.
For the review measurments, I’ve used a MNKE IMR, unprotected.

I’ve never tried removing the PCB, but if I do on the 4Sevens Blue 26650 Battery, will it allow the DQG light to be brighter in Turbo mode and do I risk burning out the light by doing so?

Note: I plan to just buy another battery, but if I don’t, I might try to remove the PCB from the 4Sevens if it’s not too risky. I want to see how much better the light might perform if it can draw more but I don’t want to at the risk of ruining the light of course.

Hard to tell…
Can you measure the current the Turbo mode is getting from the battery? It will give you a hint of PCB limitations. As my measurements and Ric comments, I guess the 6Amp should be the ussual current for Turbo mode.

Removing a PCB from a battery isn’t hard or risky. This post explain how to perform it in a safe way. This dude on youtube did it in the not safe way and almost burn his fingers lol:

jump to 1:40 for the funny part. :bigsmile:

You’ll need to rewrap the battery with new heatshrink or something similar if after removing the original wrap there is no other isolation wrap (i.e. the cell is bare metal walled)

thank you UPZ but i prefer to buy new King Kong unprotected :)…i will use my protected batteries in the JM26 and in the next XINTD X3.
These on Fasttech are identical to that on intoutdoor? http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10003591/1263001-king-kong-icr26650-37v-4000mah-li-ion-rechargeable …do you suggest flat top or button top?

Hi Gio

Both flat top or button top should work OK on the Tiny26650. If you’re buying one for just the DQG, I would go for a flat-top.
This have good comments over the forums, but I can not tell because I don’t have them for checks.
Some people have good comments for this cheaper Trusfires
Unfortunately, I can not help much as I only use MNKE 26650.
Thanks!

thank you! But anyone can tell me if these ICR http://www.fasttech.com/products/1420/10007457/1628905-icr26650-3-7v-4000mah-rechargeable-li-ion-9908 are better or the same that King Kong? http://www.fasttech.com/products/1263000 :slight_smile:

Great review UPz and wonderful pictures!

I was wondering where you got the 18650 adapter? Did you make it? Also, does it accept both protected and unprotected cells? Thanks much!

What is considered the best battery for this light ?
I have the mkne IMR.
Am I ok or do I need to upgrade ?
Thanks for helping me

Edit-oops, saw last post. Does any one have an opinion

Mine takes a Trustfire flame at 69.2 length, but that is the absolute max. I can feel the springs starting to coil bind as the tail cap makes contact.

Welcome to the forum tohydrom. Thanks for dropping by to post your driver pics. Is there a reason you removed the driver?

I just received mine from Richard at mtelectronics.com and I really like it. It has quality construction except for the cut-outs for the side switch which are fairly sharp and should have been slightly rounded off during construction but not that big of deal.

Like UPz noted, the 3 second shut off is kind of ridiculous. It should have been reversed. At least as UPz stated, you can unscrew the tailcap slightly to deactivate the switch.

I agree the head could have been made smaller but IMHO, it’s not bad. The light feels really nice in hand.

When I received mine, the side activation switch, (I LOVE side switches!), had kind of had a “hollow” feel and a sound that reminded me of the noise like a plunger makes in use but after many activation’s, it now feels much better and is not making the “plunger” sound.

Like many have stated, this is more of a flood light than anything else and I have to admit, I was a little disappointed, (to my tired old eyes :slight_smile: ), with the output even in turbo mode but it’s more than adequate for a light this size. The in beam in my CW example is pure white with no green or blue whatsoever.

Again, I really like this light and it is a keeper. By the way, Richard has 2 of these left in inventory. I purchased the last CW version but he has 2 left in warm white for $5.00 less than the China dealers and without the weeks wait and he even includes a 18650 spacer.

It even comes in cool or neutral. I located a U.S. vendor so I think I’ll get one of these. It will be my first 26650 battery device.