Review: Eagle Eye X6 BLF Special Edition pre-sale sample *Updated 9/8

Excellent photo shoot, JM. Thanks!

And as I mentioned in the other thread, and considering the additional comments; I don’t think the o-ring at the lens will be an issue even if submerged. I will be happy to test it when I get mine from the GB. The actual sealing at the tail-switch is typically more suspect. If properly recessed and trapped below the washer, this too can be a decent seal. Most designs do not actually trap the sealing profile and the seal can creep which often happens with thermal cycling. Easy to fix but should be part of the design if you want submersible.

BTW: with IE11, there is no View Image option with right click. I had to paste the link into another window.

I am really looking forward to having one of these.

Nice insight into what we will be getting here.

One gripe I have, is that with all of the nice machining, they go & whack self-tapping screws in there to hold the emitter down. A machined screw would b a little nicer!

Jhonny & Unknown00101, thanx again :slight_smile:

The issue of the front O-ring leaking was brought up a while ago. I believe it was Cereal Killer who discovered his stock light was immediately filled with water when submerged. This issue needs to be checked and verified fixed before rolling out 500+ for the GB.

You have a lot to answer for JM. I put an order in for one of these lights that I dont need at all. Do I put an order in for another?

Geez It took some time to hunt down the post:

1. in the Group buy thread: the stock light leaks water……

Several posts about the issue on down…

Thanks for finding that. Modifying the reflector as stated above the last image of the O-rings will affect that “proper gland design”. The dimensional stack-up is highly dependent on every element between the pill and lens. A quick fix may be to add a second very narrow o-ring to take up any additional space required.

I really want the lens up against the bezel. I know I can make it work but if Eagle Eyes can solve this, all the better.

I think the issue is that there is a flat space in that depression around the edge of the reflector. If it was a simple bevel, then the lens would press down on the o-ring, and the bevel would press it against the body of the head, sealing against the important surfaces.

Thanks for the excellent teardown and review JohnnyMac. :slight_smile:

I’ve own a lot of C8s already and I was thinking to skip this GB, but now it got me considering again… it really looks good, waiting for your driver review, current and lux measurement and I will make my decision after that.

NICE!!!

The fact that it’s a BLF custom is reason enough to at least own one!

I have a feeling if they burn off 1500 or more of these at the manufacturer they WILL sell (as long as they keep the quality up)

Either way…can’t wait…need the coupon code so I can get these and get the fight out of the way with the wife :stuck_out_tongue:

I swear my wife said Id be mad not to get 5 …Im sure thats what she said. She was looking at me funny, I explained all the work put in and that its a hotrod light from the manufacturer, this is unheard of to which she said with a big smile so you know she was keen, “oh really, youd be mad not to get 5”, its hard to know as she was busy and returning to her things while shaking her head. I think she must have realised she forgot something she was doing.

That’s how the fight started :stuck_out_tongue:

Ha ha, best way to avoid a fight, 6 months later when she finally notices it, “but honey I told you ages ago” :slight_smile:

That’s what works for me! Then, when she insists that I didn’t tell her - “Well, I thought for sure I did. I’m sorry, I guess I forgot. But I meant to tell you.”

sweet!
now I cant wait for mine

Have you been listening in on my home conversations with my lady?

Nice write-up and pics JM! I've ben searching for posted basic dimensions and can't find it anywhere, in any of the many X6 reviews/threads around I know of, at least in the OP's. This BangGood listing: BG-X6 only has length and this listing: hBG-BLF-Special-Edition-X6 has a whacky head diameter. Can you update the OP with real measured length, head diameter and tail diameter measurements? Thanx!

Length: 134.60mm

Head Width: 41.13mm

Tube Width: 23.50mm

Thanks for the review. Any input on the runtimes at different modes?

Thanks for the review, looks great.

But can it core a apple?