[review] Emisar D2 by Hank Wang (519A / UV)

I received a red D2 with UV and ZWB2 and it’s excellent. When the light was first announced I was hoping for a single reflector ala a Reylight Pineapple. When I saw the reveal shots, I was puzzled. It was like "oh so this is the right angle light no one asked for?”

But now I totally get it! You get two complete “heads” for no extra space at all.

Full review here:

11 Thanks

Great review. I’ve never been drawn to the tint ramping function since I usually just go with the CCT I want when I buy a light, so I like this idea with the UV emitter on one of the channels. This would be a great travel light as I bring a UV light as well as a D4V2 with me when I travel so I can look for “anomalies” on the hotel furniture and sheets.

If you’ve got a flashing adapter and would like to make the D2 stop turning on the other channel while using turbo, this is the build I have installed on my D2:

http://toykeeper.net/torches/fsm/anduril2/anduril.2023-04-25.emisar-2ch.hex

This has 5 channel modes which can be enabled or disabled to suit individual lights:

1. channel 1 only
  2. channel 2 only
  3. both channels, tied together (allows using “200%” power)
  4. both channels, manual blend
  5. both channels, auto blend, reversible

For yours, you’d probably just want the first two.

To turn off extra channel modes, get into advanced mode and turn the light on. Then press 9H, and let go after the Nth blink, where N is the mode number you want to edit. At the prompt, click to enable the mode or press nothing to disable the mode.

After turning off the 3 unwanted modes, 3C while on should be a simple toggle between white and UV. The 3H action does nothing in either of those modes, so it reverts to its single-channel function, momentary turbo.

To switch between smooth and stepped ramp shapes, you’ll need to use 6C instead of 3C.

I have mine set up the same way, since it’s flood + throw, and I don’t need them both on at the same time.

Edit: updated link to use newer version.

5 Thanks

Great review Cheule! I was going to pick up the Arkenfeld but the lack of filter put me off and now this looks like the perfect option.

1 Thank

Hello again, TK…

Just saw this after a mention was made over in r/flashlight about this updated dual-channel version and I wanted to clarify before just zipping it onto my D4SV2 - is this version good for the broad-spectrum of dual channel builds or would I need to wait for something a bit more tailored to, for instance, D4SV2 with 219b’s & W1’s?

Thanks again!

That’s the idea behind it. It has a bunch of channel modes so the user can pick the ones which are appropriate for their hardware.

For a 219B + W1 build, I’d recommend using modes 1 and 2 only, to switch back and forth between flood and throw. The others probably won’t be as useful, but you might potentially find a blend mode handy sometimes.

2 Thanks

Thanks for the review!

Awesome! I’ll give it a go and see how things go.

Thanks!

Thanks @Cheule for the review! I tweaked the original post to make it show the Youtube video in an embedded player, all you have to do is put the link by itself on a new line.

I was very on the fence about the D2 when it first came out… The added UV option warmed up my interest. When you mentioned it’s mounted under a reflector, I was pretty surprised given everything I’d seen about how cramped it is inside the D2’s head. Seeing the beamshot from your video and then the subsequent short your posted showing the reflector - I will definitely be adding one of these to my next Hank order.

Thanks for all the great work, as always!

I’m on my fourth D2. After trying a few different builds, my favorites are:

519a 4500k domed spot / SST-20 red
2x 519a 4500k domed spot - run both channels evenly, great work light

The spot optic with the domed 519a is just wide enough to be perfect for 99% of my applications up close. Rarely do I need the extreme flood of the floody optic.

Sold builds:
519a 4500k domed flood / w1 spot - great performer, just not what I needed/wanted
519a 4500k domed flood / 519a 4500k domed spot - thought that tint mixing spot/flood would be nice, but I ended up on spot most of the time.

2 Thanks

That’s pretty close to what I think would be ideal. I have a frosted 219B sw45k + W1 spot, and it’s good… but I think maybe a dedomed 519A 5700K might have been a little better for the warmer CCT (~4000-ish K) without sacrificing the low duv.

I have a couple lights with red… but I haven’t found a use for it. So I went for flood+throw instead, and am really happy with it.

2 Thanks

Just received mine today, pretty amazing little jewel and it puts out a decent amount
of light. I was surprised that the UV mode runs all of the Andruil 2 toys and really
does a great job fluorescing objects that react to UV. Will come in handy out here
being able to spot scorpions while only having to carry one light.

1 Thank

Yeah. People can choose whatever LEDs they want, and the firmware doesn’t know what they’re using… so it provides all functions on all sets of LEDs. And a few options to turn off stuff which might not be useful for the current hardware and user. Like, with warm+cool LEDs, it makes sense to have tint ramping between the two. But with white + UV, the tint ramping feature can be turned off since it’s probably not useful.

3 Thanks

Deep red + UV blend is kinda neat in the desert, for walking to the bathroom while camping.

2 Thanks

I believe that I agree with you, ha. I’m a bit confused on tint ramping though. Is it purely the ability to slowly ramp between the two emitters?