Review: Ganzo G712

I did have a read of that first but didn’t think this knife fell under any of those categories???

“Daggers, automatic knives, single handed opening knives, butterfly knives, trench knives, ballistic knives, concealed knives/blades, throwing knives/blades/axes, star knives, push knives, sheath knives, non-metallic knives.”

It can be opened with a single hand. :wink:

It can be opened with a single flick and no thumb involved. Does that make it no handed? :bigsmile:

That you had to have a certification for a knife

I had to get one in New Zealand to import a Cold Steel Voyager XL.

Nice looking knife. Too bad it doesn't come with the option for left hand carry. I like the G704 too, but I had to order a second one to get it without blade play. I like my EL01 much better due to the superior fit and finish.

I think I’m going to grab one based on re-reading this review, thanks for that. I originally got a G701 which I quite liked but wanted something with less weight for work so I bought a G714 which I don’t like at all. So it looks like it will be worth it to go with this which is probably similar in some respects to the G701.

And what’s the matter with g714?

The grip ergonomics are not comfortable to my hand (size ‘L’) for long term use if you have to hold tight. It does not open easily with just your thumb, so if you go to adjust the pivot pin you find that unlike the other pivot screws, the one side of this one does not have any easy way to get some sort of tool onto it to hold it so that it will not just spin. After trying for awhile, it then appeared to me that even if I did get it loose, it would not help because it was the liner lock tension that was making it tight on opening and not the pivot pin causing the problem anyway. Perhaps the reason my G701 is better is due to the axis lock. I recognize that these characteristics may be just due to my personal preferences and may suit others just fine, so that’s why I said “I don’t like it”, rather than say it’s a bad knife.

With my 701 and my Bee L05 they seem to have a curb appeal that makes me want to reach for them first, the G714 is the one I will reach for only if there isn’t any other around at the time, so I’m going to clip it to my duty bag at work so I will not care if it gets lost as much.

Well, my knife arrived today. Wasn’t even opened by customs so no problems there.

I have to say I am pretty stoked with it! I can’t believe what I have got for what I paid. For $17 everyone should have one of these haha

Thanks JohnnyMac for your recommendation!

:slight_smile:

Well, some time ago i said that my ganzo g710 engages very little material on the top of the blade, my enlan el04 engage a lot more material, much much more material (pivot steel). Now i see this video:

Really i won’t to buy the g711 and i’m thinking if all axis lock on ganzos are crap/junk/bad.
My question is how about the lock engage size in the ganzo g712?.

I grabbed one of these, just got it last week. I measured the axis lock travel required to release the blade, it is about 1.3mm on mine. My Ganzo 701, which I use at work, has less at 1mm of travel to unlock. I have no idea how much is required to be make the mechanism safe and reliable. After watching that review, I realize there are some interesting points I had not thought about. The blade indeed seems to have more room in the handle cavity than needed as pointed out in the video.

My biggest complaint with the G712 is the axis lock is hard to release for two reasons. The omega spring tension is very tight, and the thumb studs are flush with the handle, so you have to wriggle the ends of your thumb and index finger into the small recess in order to pull it back. When you’re doing that the studs dig into your fingers uncomfortably, my spouse found it very uncomfortable and hard to use. I find the thumb studs on the Ganzo G701 much easier to use for both blade deployment and lock release due to greater clearance from handle obstruction. I must confess I’m also not a big fan of the composite handle material. I do not see any reduction in weight advantage by using the G10 composite over the smooth anodized handle of the G701. There seems to be a lot of uncomfortable sharpish ‘hotspot’ edges on the G712’s handle finger crenulations. So of the three Ganzo’s that I own (I also have a G714), I only find myself using the G701 in my duty bag at work. I do like the Axis lock, but am tending to lean toward just buying Enlan in the future.

For multi day backcountry trips weight is important. So much so that I have stopped carrying a Leatherman unless I am on a multi day ski trip and staying in huts. Out of curiosity I have just ordered a ceramic folding knife to see if there could be any advantage in terms of sacrificing a rugged blade for lighter weight.

1.3 mm is very short way and less than 1 mm… Have you try to smack the back handle with some force against a surface?.
My g710 engages 50% of the lock bar, and my g704 only a bit more.
Really my enlan el04 engage about 3 or 4 mm, certainly ALL the lock bar is on the blade, nothing of it is out of the blade.
I don`t know if i can trust on ganzo`s security lock. Why a engage of only 1 mm?. I do not know if i`m going to stop of buying ganzos.

Actually the 1.3mm is more travel length than the 1mm, so in theory it should be the better of the two. I guess the shorter length results in the blade being easier to deploy, and less secure when locked, so it seems like a compromise, and that compromise could be unsafe if the user is not cautious about using the knife correctly.

Stiff springs and “hard on the fingers” studs are frequent gripes about axis lock knives, even the $$$ makes. Tweaking the springs can help but it’s tricky to get balanced spring tension especially if the stock springs are uneven to start. I’ll toss out my old tip of upgrading the pivot washers and get them properly adjusted. One idea I have seen on Benchmade knives was changing to a slightly taller post stud [I have no idea if the Ganzo has replaceable studs] to help w/ the lock grip. If ExD would sell replacement spring sets it would make tweaking much easier. Just my $0.02 worth as I prefer flipper or thumbstud knives.

Well, then the ganzo g712 pass the smack back blade or not?
How mm engages the lock bar?

I tried smacking mine a few times, didn’t collapse, didn’t want to break the blade, hard to hold it safely when doing it if it did collapse, so quit the test.

It seems ok then, thanks.

I think now I will be careful not to ‘pry’ with force in the direction that could collapse the blades as I don’t trust them now. If I have to do that then I’ll try to use a full tang blade like that Buck.