REVIEW IMALENT DX80 COMPLETE.

That is really good to know. Too bad the factory cannot test all their lights before letting them leave, especially expensive ones like the dx80.

Maybe they do, but they go bad after some use, I just hope they found the problem and fixed it for the new heads they sent us :slight_smile:

Hope so too

I wonder if some of them are lacking thermal grease compound.

Could be. If you look at post #1372 from this link there are two pics there that show all eight emitters on one plate. If you are a member of that forum and log in, you can see the

larger pics.

I wonder if there is even pressure pushing down on that large mcpcb. Can you tell if there are multiple screws holding it down?

It's hard to tell from that image. From what I see, I think there is two screw holes around the center and maybe that's it or its really glued hard. After removing my bezel, nothing else seems to want to loosen, but I'll give it another try and see if I can find something. You may be onto something there with uneven pressure possibly causing problems.

I got as far as removing the clear ring under the lens but the reflector won't budge at the moment and there is no easy way to grab it. That translucent ring under the lens appears to be a high temp silicon ring I think. I remember the first batch of DX80's having a black ring and some said it melted in prolonged turbo mode, so this new ring must be one of the upgrades.

The reflector is olso just glued, you can see in the pictures below the glue remains, you just have to use force to break the glue.

Am I following the traces right?
Those LED’s seem to be wired in a 4S2P configuration. I would have expected 2S4P, each LED configured at 6V.
We know the battery pack is 4S2P. That means if all this is true, the driver must be a boost driver, no?

That’s what it looks like.

There is a ton of info on TLF, but I haven’t read much of it.

I don’t know for sure the battery pack is 4S2P, though. We know the charger is 19v, but it goes through a sophisticated circuit board on the side of the battery pack.

Does anyone know what the battery pack voltage is where it connects to the head? Is it around 16 or so volts? If so, then it must be a boost driver. We know it’s not a FET driver.

Batery pack is 16.8V when fully charged measured with my dmm.

Thanks for those pics iosala. I thought it might be glued down so I'll will leave it alone then.

It must be a boost driver then.

Let’s see, roghly 40A at 6v, so about 20A at 12v (14v something realisticly)

Lexels upcoming boost driver is going to be about 6A at 6v, so not even close.

The DX80 must have a huge boost driver.

With all that glue, I'm pretty sure Imalent doesn't want us messing around with the driver or anything else. Would have been a great flashlight if it was rebuildable.

To be honest: at a price of actually less than 180 Euro including 8x SAMSUNG 30Q and 8x XHP70.2 bringing out 32 klm, a missing “rebuildability” does not really influence my opinion of having a fuc&ing gorgeous piece of flashlight in my hands.

By the way: all seven DX80 in daily use in my area work flawless. No half lit LED, no display problems or so.

The only complains are:

- The way to attach the lanyard is… ok, hard to translate…

• The surface could use a better knurling - somehow slippery when wet…

I do not count ” a little bit heavy” - when you want the space of a Winnebago, please do not complain about the problems of finding a parking lot…

Sure - for all the other followers like the OLIGHT X9 (I do not know if it will ever show up), the ASTROLUX MFwhatever (I am very interested how they want to arrive underneath the price of IMALENT) or the ACEBEAM X70 (nearly the only one that might be really interesting from my point of view… but I do not even want to dream about the price) there are many ways to do it better. But I am really interested how they want to earn money in an area already cleaned up like this…

My guess is that when those lights above from competitors are released, the Imalent will have an additional striking advantage. I think it will be the most compact, hence usable light for many.

Olight X9 is passive cooled.
MF03 is passive cooled.
Acebeam X70 is active cooled.
MF05 is active cooled.

I’m sure the active cooled lights will cost more than the DX80, but they will be in a different class.

Of the 4 above, the MF03 will probably be the only one competing with the DX80 in price.

I believe Imalent is selling the DX80 barely above their cost (at under 180 euro). Possibly to get rid of them so it can be replaced by a better version? This is the rumor.

An extremly good point - here for example a comparison between the DX80 and the K60:

Do you really think a funny little vent will make a diffenerce? Ok, my diploma has a certain age and Thermodynamics wasn’t my favorite, but I do not expect a big effect. OLIGHT found that out by themself.

And I am honest: when I think of a high class flashlight, I do not think of ASTROLUX…

With no base - this is the price for this model since it hit the market… and we already have the third version…

I've extensively tested my DX80 to see if I have more problems than just that one half lit led and nothing, she still runs flawlessly. I thought maybe a quarter of another led may be playing up but it is not so. Since I would never notice the difference in brightness from that missing half led, my dx80 has to be the most fun light ever to be created. I did order another head from imalent and I am glad I have two of them now and will be using this light every chance I get. I agree with the knurling and not sure why imalent did not consider this. The metal lanyard attachment was the first thing I removed. Afterthought for sure.