Review: Jacob A60 XR-E thrower (1x18650) Pic Heavy

Congrats on your A60's guys. I'm happy to see your lights performing as well as mine did!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Spas

This is awesome thrower.

Recently I made new modification with XP-E2 driven at 3A…

I managed to perfectly center emitter and my light meter(7 meters distance) says:

390(×10×7×7) for almost 200KCD!!!

This results are correct as it shows 200 (100KCD) for my stock Nightmaster V2 aspheric.

But when I compare it with stock NMV2 it seems to throw same(or even little less) to my eyes

So it is not all in numbers… It is really important what we can see at night.

And I think lux/candela measurements for stronger lights should be taken at larger distances up to 200meters because reflector spreads hotspot part of the beam at larger distances while aspheric makes hotspot more concentrated and sharp.

I just got my A60 from Aurabuy. It was wrapped with bubble wrap and tape. There was no box, just placed inside a mailer packet. The tailcap had been removed to make it fit into the packet. It arrived safe, and undamaged. The lens is filthy though. Inside, the beam is ringy, but outside, it doesn’t matter. I’ve only had time to try it off my balcony,and was surprised when the beam crossed a really well lit street and illuminated an alley on the other side. This will be a good light for picking out far spaced marker buoys out on big water. XML creates to much spill on the water and destroys night vision.

I think you forgot to mention the lack of thermal paste in your “cons”. That will be the first thing I take care of.
Do XR-Es mount onto XM-L sinkpads? I know XP-E fits onto XP-G pads, but not sure about XR-E.

No - but, someone posted it will mount on a MT-G2 copper Noctigon: http://intl-outdoor.com/noctigon-mtg20-copper-mcpcb-2pcs-p-717.html

Not sure where to find, but might have posted results also - not much difference I think??

I have some of those. How. Many amps would be safe to drive XR-E on copper?

All info I'm aware of is here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/20082. See post #17 -- thanks to NightCrawl and djozz.

My A60 also arrived from Aurabuy a day or two ago. Same packaging as per Ouchyfoot’s comments. Lens was dirty, slightly scratched and pretty rough round the edges but perfectly servicable with some attention. Otherwise, it all looked good.

However,being of a pernickity nature, I noticed at close quarters i.e shining the light at an indoor wall from 6 feet,that the hotspot was a little off centre (in relation to the surrounding ring/spill). If you remove the head,take the reflector out and place it round the LED at a very slightly different angle you can then get everything perfectly centered. Of course, this is of no practical use and when you tighten the head back on, the problem reoccurs as there is no wiggle room. This I guess (noob talking) is because various things could be a wee bit off kilter e.g. the reflector symmetry;the LED dome’s metal retaining ring;the insulation gasket; the LED itself, although it looks well enough centered to the naked eye. Short of hacking away at the reflector, which I don’t want to do, I’m not sure I should fiddle with this any more as I have a tendency to do this sort of thing at the expense of cooking meals for our children and various other important domestic chores.

Obviously this matters not one jot in terms of the intended outdoor use of the light but has anyone got any bright ideas about how to tweak the quality of the beam?

Any other comments about my sad and anal retentive personality are welcome. :slight_smile:

My hot spot is slightly off center the same as yours. There’s nothing much to be done. It is only noticable on a close up wall shot, and since this light isn’t really much good for close up, its nothing to worry about. Once the beam is let loose to travel as it may, the rings and off centering no longer exist in the wild.

Ouchyfoot:Now that is a sensible and pragmatic answer. Thank you. I’ll just have to find something else to worry about when I go to sleep tonight. :slight_smile:

worry about it possibly being woefully underdriven, my example from aurabuy only pulled 1.1a, not much of a problem as it was bought to mod, a quick direct drive mod dealt with both next mode memory and the damned blinky mode.

At some point I’ll put a 2.4a ish amp nanjg, but I’m kind of attached to the direct drive simplicity of it.

Thank you gords1001. I am away from the torch at the moment but will check the current pull and then reconsider things when I get back home. Tbh I don’t mind the blinky mode (burn the witch!)

I was under the impression that 1.1A is about the limit for an XR-E unless you mount it on copper. Even then, will over 2.2As be accomplishing anything?
The next time I’m ordering, I may grab an XP-E2 to try on it. I don’t have much experience with these LEDs except in my earlier Fenixes.

What the hell, its a $12 light. I’ll mount the XR-E on a Noctigon with a 2.4A Nanjg driver and see what happens. If there’s space, I’ll throw in some extra copper.

Oops! I took apart my A60 to so I could reflow the XR-E on an MT-G Noctigon and throw in a new driver until I realized, the MT-G Noctigons only come in 20mm. Oh well, maybe another time. XP-E2 might be the only way to go.

Is it just me, or is this a direct clone of the Solarforce M8? I just found this thread, also recently discovered the M8. I pounced on one of the last new lights to be found, but it wasn’t anywhere near this price point! My M8 is awesome! Type III hard anodize is gorgeous, beautifully done. The reflector is a very heavy duty aluminum job, hybrid with about the first 12mm orange peel then the rest a perfect smooth mirror finish. It came with an XM-L U2, now this is a discontinued Solarforce model but mine is serial number 89. I dropped in a copper pcb, XM-L2, Q-lite with stacked chips and it’s pulling 5.38A on a Samsung 20R. (also filled the pill with a half inch thick copper heat-sink.)

The styling is almost exactly the same! Love this M8, am very surprised to see this cheaper version of it.

Very nice review, was like watching you take apart an M8, the plastic press fit part around the emitter is thicker, larger emitter, but virtually everything else looks identical in style and machining, right down to the shape of the tail cap. Crazy stuff! Glad you guys found the cheaper version, enjoy it and the 3 or 4 others just like it you could have for the price of one M8. :wink:

http://www.lighthound.com/UltraFire-M9-880-Lumens-XM-L-U2-Flashlight_p_4122.html

This Ultrafire M9-U2 has never been reviewed before. Looks similar to the solarforce M8 and Jacob a60. I have had this ultrafire for a long time. Top notch anodizing. Clean machining. Coated glass. Runs about 2.8amps.

Ouchy foot, try a 16mm xpg sinkpad and an xpe2 from illumination supply :slight_smile:

Chris

I wanted to, but didn’t have any handy at the time. I put in an XP-G2 on a Noctigon with a 3.04A driver. It’s a nice combo, but the beam is still ringy. I gave it to a friend. He wanted a light to to search out skunks before he lets his dog off the leash. He loves it. Non flashlight people think rings are normal, and don’t even notice them.

What was the cd at?

I just dedomed the xre, pulled off the steel ring, and was about 110k, but was ringy too. Its ok when you using it outside, but just annoying at close range on light colours

CHris

hi, sorry for my low english level …

i should like to have your opinion :
i alraeady have an ultrafire c8
do you think that the jacob will be more throwing ?
or simply a better flashlight ?

thank you :wink: :smiley: