[Review] LUMINTOP TOOL AA 3.0 - 900 lumens AA/14500 EDC flashlight with RGB LED switch

I love the very aggressive power holding of the TOOL flashlights

1 Thank

Great. I bought the 2.0 & 3.0 yesterday. I wonder if it has LVP and maybe some kind of battery level indicator maybe in the tail switch ?

I looked through a couple different parts of the video and couldn’t quite tell what was new over the V2.0 other than the new emitter, which has a similar brightness, cool CCT and low CRI. Is that it?

EDIT: I guess the 2.0 specs were only 650 Lumen, but in tests it measures 800~900 with the 14500 already, including your video:

https://youtu.be/akhYRxWKa-8?t=122
https://zeroair.org/2020/01/22/lumintop-tool-aa2-0-ti-flashlight-review/
https://1lumen.com/review/lumintop-tool-aa-2-copper/

1 Thank

Unfortunately it does not have LVP. Idk about the level indicators in the tailcap though. I asked but can’t remember the answer. Personally, I would find that lighted tail cap utterly useless if it didnt, however it wouldn’t surprise me if it was purely aesthetic.
The LVP work around is a protected 14500.
Im not sure what the nimh solution would be, or if over discharge is even a concern with them.

Regardless, I’ll end up buying one of these as I passed on the 2.0 after I heard a 3.0 was about to launch. I liked the original so much I gave it to my mother.

Edit - spelling

1 Thank

Thanks i read about that the 2.0 sometimes has LVP and sometimes not.
Is the supplied 14500 Cell protected ?
There are pretty good prices on the Coin Page on Aliexpress around 15,40€ for both 2.0 CW & NW with battery.
And the green 3.0 for about the same price. Some Colours cost more than others, red & blue 3.0 cost around 2-3€ more.

1 Thank

Ha, funny, I was just asking myself the same thing. I can never tell anymore with the addition of USB charging & button tops on the cells.

Generally speaking, if protected, Id like to know whether these types of USB batteries & USB lights are a “safer” solution to hand out as gifts. If so, what are the features or marketing phrases to look for beyond the traditional “LVP”?

As an example, the Streamlight Macro/Microstream USB series are sold in masses to the general public at many brick & motar outdoor shops. I’m also confident you’d find Surefire 18650 Dual Fuel lights right there next to them & maybe even some Nitecore’s.

Another question regarding this light (as well as others).

In this picture below, you see a brass ring around the positive contact (EDC2AA). I see this same design implemented in the Tool 2.0, 3.0 as well as in many other Lumintop models & manufacturer’s designs.

What is the purpose of this brass ring?

Is it a necessary part of the design or could it be removed/possibly desoldered easily?

I ask because, I mistakenly & preemptively bought a bunch of high quality flat top 14500’s after getting a vibe that protected cells were too long for a couple 14500 lights I was interested in. I’m now trying to figure out if I’ll ever be able to use them without high resistance work arounds like solder blobs & magnets.

The brass ring is the mechanical reverse polarity protection. It makes it so a button top cell only works if the button is facing the head of the light.

You can disable it by cutting a tiny piece of copper sheet and soldering it the contact in the middle of the ring.

Or you can solder it to the top of each cell to make them into button tops.

1 Thank

Nice, I wasn’t aware that a v3 had been released.

Nice to see (apparently new) colours such as green and red.

Unfortunately, according to a buyer’s review on Aliexpress, the LED has a nasty green tint in the centre… just like on my v2, which drives me nuts :unamused:

Too bad because this is an otherwise pretty likeable lamp.

I wished they didn’t stop production of the UltraTac A1. It was basically a Tool AA, without memory, which always started on the dimmest setting.

1 Thank

Amazon shows the A1 is still available, and so does the UtraTac company site.

When I used to carry my A1 with its nice 1-lumen low , my Tool sat in a drawer because I continue to feel it’s superfluous to have 4 modes on a light of its small size when one of the modes is not 1 lumen or lower.

Oh wow. I see that now. For the longest time, it wasn’t listed. I’d suggest the A1 all day long. It has a much dimmer low mod, always starts on the dimmest level and has no memory.

Thanks for the reply. I have a few of these, some stock and others modded.

1 Thank

Apparently, there’s only one left in stock, so I’m hoping whoever purchased the others will post their thoughts and comments here.