Review: Manker T01 Prerelease Sample (small updates 20150925))

Manker should send you a check for a glowing endorsement like that! I can see why you’re so geeked about it though. You just don’t see compact pocket throwers like that. I guess Manker has been listening. It’s rare to see so many darn near perfect features in a single light that isn’t a custom build. The dual cathode spring was a mind-blower. It’s like a stock spring bypass mod but it looks better! I think this one will be a little out of my price range but it’s nice to see something like this being made. Thanks for the review. Maybe they will add that perfect moon mode before final production. It would be really fantastic if we could talk them into using that dual cathode spring in our group buy…

JM - I'd love to find out how moddable this light is. My latest UI, still under development will have a choice of 32 mode combos running on a ATTiny45 or 85, and would be perfect for this light. So if the LED and driver are accessible on this one, probably could do something with it.

I'm very disappointed with the Manker Rambler - seems to be all glued up at the reflector, and the body looks like one piece with no access to the driver/pill whatssoever - can't even upgrade/replace the LED - ugh... If they are doing this on all models - it's bad news for modders for sure.

The reflector won’t pop out of this one either, Tom. I was hoping it isn’t glued but that since the body is one piece that the internals will have to be pushed out the front from the rear. Not willing to destroy this one to find out though since I like it so much. If I get a second one I may try to disassemble this one to mod.

This light looks great but I’m with you on this one!

The really nice thing is our new K6 will have the same reflector and emitter as this T01. The really really nice thing is that it will be readily modable. The not so nice thing is it won't be as small as this little beauty.

Hhhmmm... If you guys have a good communication channel w/Manker, we (I think) would love to know what the deal is. If they are using the same reflector and they say it's moddable, then something is going on. I really dunno if it's glued or not - can't tell, it might be threaded. If threaded, not much to grab to unthread it. I tried with a very thin screw driver type tool to pry it up but wouldn't budge. Even tried scraping around it to break possible glue seal but can't find any glue material.

If you guys can see the actual same exact reflector, that may help in knowing what they are doing, or better yet, if they can tell us what they are doing -- even better. Sounds like the T01 is same setup as the Rambler - one piece body, everything out the head.

Ohh - the one piece design w/parts coming out the head is not so unusual. All the SolarStorm models SC00, SC01, SC02, and SC03 are like that, and all are moddable because you can get the reflector out, then pop the pill out from forcing it from the battery compartment (couple of light taps with a hammer on a flat tool or pipe will loosen it) - it's worked every time for me without a hitch Wink. Think I used a pipe because you want the force applied to the edge of the driver, not the middle - less chance of cracking/breaking/bending the driver or pill.

We'll know as soon as we get the new K6 samples and will post pics of the internals.

Oh! As for other lights with the parts coming out the front, the ThruNite Archers are like that, too. The problem I encountered with them is when pushing out the pill the rubber switch stub was sheared off. Hopefully that won't happen with the T01.

Did you guys see the other forums response to this light. It’s basically that the light looks too familiar, thus stay away. Those guys are an endless source of entertainment. As for me, I’m picking this mini light cannon up today! Thanks JM for the fantastic review and the heads-up!

Hmmmm…they used to say the same thing about Eagle Tac’s first Flashlights.

I saw that ‘over there’ Ray-o and just shook my head.

where are u getting it from please? Thanks.

Do we know a price for sure on this light?

Without even looking "over there"..I'll guess it looks too much like a Zebralight that many are so LOYAL to.. LMAO ....figures

ETA: Yep, I looked...

I saw it for $69 on Ali

Well the odd thing is that half of the negative folks there say it looks too much like a Zebralight which makes it a horrible thing while the other half hate it because it's not enough like a Zebralight. A few others complain it's a copy then shred it because it's not a true 1:1 clone. Really strange stuff and I just don't get it.

But then there are some who appreciate it for what it is otherwise I'd really be worried. :)

Does everyone think $69 is a good price? I love the look of it and that it runs on a AA, just not convinced it’s worth $69.

I just replied to about 4 or so comments there. Trying really hard to convince myself that posting any reviews there is worth anyone's time, mine or the manufacturer's. I've never seen such undisguised negativity like I see there.

Selfbuilt does an OK review. Lots of automated runtime graphs but extremely generic otherwise. I've never seen him open a head and show internals or g et into anything really technical with the inner construction of a light. One thing for sure, he does give the members there what they want to see and apparently it's runtime graphs.

Clearly no new company benefits from sponsoring reviews there as all will happen is they will be torn apart like a sheep by rabid wolves. If they have any appreciation at all for the time involved in doing a detailed review like I try to do, they, aside from minority of repliers, seem to have a hard time showing it.

It was good to see that Bill, a mod there, has my back and told them to mind their manners. ;) They just try constantly to try to out do each other and show they know more than the next guy which just escalates all the negativity. A shame that a vocal few ruin the entire atmosphere for the site as a whole since the majority of the folks there are really good guys.

Got mine on eBay for $69.95. Just couldn’t wait for a price break on this one, so I pulled the trigger now. Have you guys noticed how the Chinese venders on eBay ship things faster than the Chinese web sites do? Hopefully, I’ll receive it before I go camping in three weeks. I’ll be sure to share my thoughts with you guys after I check it out. However, JM is usually spot on when it comes to checking new lights out.

Hello, Saypat! JM posted the same review over on the other forum. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?408576-Review-Manker-T01-EDC-Prerelease-Sample

It is, in spite of it resembling a Zebralight it is still a very unique light in the market but I do think $69 is a bit high for what it really is $50 retail would be a fair price but I get the impression that Manker wants to become a high end manufacturer but at this time I think it’s premature to be pricing them as if they were. I can almost guarantee that there will be some group buys and good deals on this light in the future.

In looking at that store's prices on other lights, think'n it's pretty much suggested retail. We need another GB vs. BG price war goin for this light too Wink. I paid $20 for a Rambler from BG recently and they want $46 for the Rambler at the same store here: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Manker/1406554_502416491.html -- huge difference.

If you want to try, I'd maybe leave a message for the store owner - see if he can give you a better deal, maybe throw out a # and see if he'll try to get close. I've done it before, I thought on AliExpress. Like JM said, it will be cheaper, just a matter of when/where.