Review - Mateminco MT-911

Sent for review by FlashlightBrand
Product page

I was sent the MT-911 kit for review . And as such comes with the 26650 / 26350 batteries and battery tubes . So if you really need to you can make this light very short . I’m not sure how much of a difference that will make due to the size of the head and the overall weight of this very throwy light . Now there is nothing I can complain about in regards to the physical aspect of this light , it’s just really well built and put together . The Ui is a simple ramping function . Ramp the light up or down for the required light level .

Function :
Click the on off switch to turn the light on or off .
Long press to ramp up or down
TURBO - turn the light on and two rapid clicks ( Might turbo from off with two clicks )
Strobe - 3 clicks or more … GO nuts , you’l get strobe .

Turbo - The initial amount of light on high or turbo is substantial … And quite honestly , I can’t tell if I get turbo with two clicks from off … I can tell the difference when going from high to turbo , but not from a cold start .

**Power**
The lowest reading I got was 0.06 Amp ( Ramped all the way down )
The highest reading I got ramped all the way up was <s>3.61</s> Amp … ( New MM says 7A )
In Turbo I was able to measure some <s>5.01</s> Amp ( New MM says 15A )

Let me just say that at 5A this light is a pocket warmer and that small 26350 ? Yeah , I’m not sure I want to run that battery at 5A . Even 3.6A might be a little much for the small battery , even if only considered from a run time perspective . Lets move on !

Throw
Yes that big reflector is sure to throw …
On high I was able to record some 49700 Lux @ 1 meter
On turbo I was able to record some 73900 Lux @ 1 meter
Yes , the MT-911 pumps on Turbo . Not just light , but heat as well . This is no small light , it has some mass to it . And in Turbo it really feels like it is chugging down 5 amps of current . Don’t get me wrong , I really like this light . And it looks like the emitter is not afraid of 5 amps .
Cos at 3.6A 7A it is pushing 49700 Lux and at 5A 15A some 73900 Lux … Or another 24000Lux for 8A more . So that extra current is going to light production rather than just producing heat ( It’s making heat ) . But , 15A is just that , quite a bit of current and the bye product of pumping light that hard is going to be heat . Just put your hand in front of the lens on high - It’s quite comfortable … Then boost it to Turbo and feel your palm heat up almost instantly … ( That’s a thing )

Ok , now for the one thing I did not like . The MT-911 ramps too quickly … There is a 50% stop , where the light lingers for a fraction of a second . But it takes a little practice to be able to stop there due to the ramp speed . And it goes from low to 50% in almost an instant … How do make fine adjustment when it ramps so quickly ? Yeah , Mateminco can really slow down that ramp speed for us Non Super Beings . Other than that , the MT-911 is one hell of a light . I also got some of those ? Rubber or Silicone hoods / caps / diffusers … A white one , a blue one and a red one . They really work . And they diffuse just beautifully . The let down unfortunately is that ramp speed . It would ne nice to set a good sweet spot down low , but the light ramps so quickly it’s just impossible to get it just so . So I ended up at either the lowest power output or 50% . Anyways ! Yes the ramp speed is a pain . But the light is still a really good light . Did I mention it throws nuts , even on high it just reaches out there .

Conclusion !

Really well built and bolted together , throws Nuts , Kit comes with the 26350 battery and tube if you want to go short . I say short because the MT-911 will never be small . Ramping speed needs to be slowed down . Even with it’s size it will fit in my pocket . A decent walking light even though it throws due to decent amount of spill . No funky colored corona . Has a USB charge port built into the light . ( With a 26650 , I would USB charge it ) .
Hmmmm , it’s hard to get past that ramping speed … It almost makes this light 4 Mode … Low 50% 100% and Turbo . I really want to love this light but I can’t . If I had to give it a score , 7.5 out of 10 . If it ramped much slower , I could love this light !

I would like to thank FlashlightBrand.com for sending this light for review .

2 Thanks

I got 9.5 A and 16.7 A. How did you measure the current?

I actually got a bit higher than that, and it changes based on the battery (it’s a fet driver). The high drain cells produced 20+ amps. The stock 26650 did about 17 on Turbo. My throw figures at 5 meters aren’t impressive at all, and it’s down about 40% of advertised for lumens. You basically need a Samsung 50S or p42A to get close to Matemincos output spec.

2 Thanks

Wow …

The usual way … MM with tailcap removed
MM set to 10A setting to read current .
I might have to check that again with another MM

Just tested with another MM , and its the same …
I also tested the 26350 and it’s also ball park …
The only time I have seen 20A is when a battery / driver was shorting …

Cant find a website for Mateminco & where is there a data sheet on the XLD-G90 ?
Internet is not being useful …

I pulled out a 21700 battery and it’s about the same !
So three batteries / 2 Multimeters …

You have to measure with a clamp meter. A multimeter in series adds resistance by design (from the shunt, even when you use thick cables).

I couldn’t find a datasheet nor the manufacturer of the LED. It’s a complete mystery so far.

It’s a clone of a Sbt90.2. I can tell you it’s not as powerful. Probay has a higher thermal resistance and lower efficacy with higher vF. The others ive reviewed have always performed less than the real Sbt90.2, but still about 85% of it’s performance.

Use a clamp meter. Your DMM cannot measure past about 9.5 amps and the higher the current the less accurate it is. DMMs have high burden voltage and internal resistance that limits accuracy.

Wow , ok /// I dont have a clamp meter … + Never thought MM were that inaccurate …

You’d get a higher reading with your DMM if you used short lower gauge cables. I had to make custom leads until I went ahead and purchased a clamp meter. Had my first upset customer 5 or so years ago because he tested 2A from my claim of 9A+. He didn’t realize that you can’t use a DMM accurately.

1 Thank

Multimeter are not inaccurate.
But you have to measure differently at high amps.
Up to 3 Amps for verry short time they are IMHO OK, but you will get errors.

Higher currents are measured with a “shunt resistor”. You take the voltage over the resistor and calculate the amps.

Or you use a clamp meter.
Be aware of buying cheap clamp meters, they can’t measure DC currents. Spend more and get an AC/DC unit.

I guess most people in the forum us a Uni-T UT210E

If you can lower the resistance of the current path, uo to about 4 amps they work okay, but in short bursts since the shunt resistor in the meter heats up and the readings get inaccurate (usually lower than actual). I use 14 gauge wires on banana plugs for my current testing for up to about 3 amps, then i use the clamp meter with a short loop of 12 GA wire. Clamp meters aren’t good at measuring lower currents like 200 mA or below, although the Uni-t UT210e does okay at lower currents, but its only good to 100 amps DC and hs a 2000 count meter.

It doesn’t matter what meter with what wires you use when it comes to a flashlight with direct-drive driver. Any added resistance, even just a few mOhm, will reduce the output. A meter in series will only work as long as the current and so the voltage drop is very low or the voltage drop doesn’t affect the current.

1 Thank

Looks like I need a new MM …
Thanks everyone …

I don’t think the MM is the problem ( 10A limit might be ) …
But looks like the test leads are the issue …

I found my shorth stubby test leads and I measure 5.17A on high … So looks like the test leads are the issue … ( Current limited )

I guess I might need a new MM … ( AC / DC )

Ok , one Clamp meter ordered … AC DC current reading with jaws that should accommodate a decent sized flashlight .

1 Thank

7A on high / 15A on Turbo … SO says the new MM