[Review] Maxxeon Cyclops - small work light - no PWM!

This is a very preliminary review, as I just received mine today.

My main reason for posting this is to happily report that the Maxxeon Cyclops has no visible PWM in any mode.

The Cyclops is a favorite of Wes from the automotive YouTube channel ‘Watch Wes Work.’ In a recent video, he says he’s owned two of them for over 2 years. I’ve noticed that his videos don’t exhibit any ‘banding’ while the Cyclops is in use, which made me hopeful that it didn’t have visible PWM. I couldn’t find any videos or reviews to verify that, so I took a chance and ordered one.

Operation is simple. A single press cycles through L - M - H - Off. You must cycle through all modes to get to Off, even when the light has been on for a while.

I’m a bit of a tint snob, and prefer neutral tints. My favorite emitter is the rosy Nichia 219B in 4500K. I compared the Cyclops to some of my 5000K lights, and I’d say its just a tad cooler than those. The tint is surprisingly pleasant, and the CRI actually seems decent.

The beam pattern is very floody and even.

The swivel is stiff, and there’s very little slop in the mechanism. There are 12 indexed positions.

The bottom surface of the mount has a rubber coating and a strong magnet. It also has a threaded tripod mount.

The battery is a (non-replaceable) 2500mAh Li-Po, and is charged via the USB-C port on the back of the light. The light can be used while charging.

The battery level is indicated by four green LEDs on the back of the light. They remain lit while the light is on. They also indicate progress during charging, and they all turn off when charging is complete.

Torque Test Channel on YouTube measured outputs of 130, 300, and 585 lumens, and got just over 2 hours of runtime on high.

Maxxeon claims a runtime of 10 hours on low, 5.5 hours on medium, and 2 hours on high.

After receiving mine today, I ordered several more as gifts. I think the simple interface and built-in charging make it a good option for non-flashlight enthusiasts.