[review + mod] DanceLite C8z, modest review + mod

DanceLite C8z . Another flashlight bought out of curiosity. It was alredy mentioned (actually some more below) on BLF.
I was curious about that optics and in general I have never owned a C8 zoomie.

So answering… No, no frosty lens or such. Just regular (of poor quality) glass aspheric lens.

The light first disappoints. Ridicolous driver (Hi-med-lo-strobo-sos, no memory, always on high), crapy tint and corona. Dry threads worked with effort, aspheric lens has flaws and gives rings, especially when zoomed out.
But… after first disaapointments came also good findings: pill is brass (not hollow aluminium which is not seldom), thanks to tight threads there is no ratling where head is screwed to body (which I didn’t like in UF-1405), everything is perfectly axial, no gaps.
So (IMHO) considering the price it worth the money. It may be a nice host for modding although beware of short zooming range. Comparing to Jaxman Z1 DL C8z zooms in/out worse, but that not necesarily has to be a disadvantage. Having played it a little outdoor it even seemed quite useful.

I’ve replaced original LED and driver, put well known Convoy’s 5A 17mm and Luxeon V2

If you replace the lens, LED and driver it may be a nice light. But it requires “polishing”.

Some battlefield shots.

This is what you get:

Rings around hot-spot:

Disassemly:

Lens dimensions:

Brass pill (driver: 17mm, LED: 16mm)

View from the top:

Zoom IN/OUT before moding, with Cree XM-L2 6500K

Zoom IN/OUT aftermoding, with Luxeon V2 7500K

And some outdoor shots:

Thanks for reading!

Doesn’t brass transfer heat worse than aluminum?

Yes. I don’t know why they use brass instead of aluminum…

Because of soldering ability?