[Review] Nitecore EDC27 (EDC, 3000+ Lumens, USB-C, electronic Switches, Display, EDC)

I received the Nitecore EDC27 from Nitecore for the review.

The EDC27 is a ultra slim, compact EDC flashlight with 2 luminus SST40 LEDs, with a max combined output of 3000 lumens; powered by an integrated li-po battery with a capacity of 1700mAh, rechargeable via USB-C. The EDC27 is controlled by 2 electronic switches at the tailcap, and has a OLED display.

The light comes in this box, with instruction manual, lanyard, USB-C cable.

Well, the EDC27 defenetly doesn’t look like most typical edc flashlights.

It has a narrow and long profile, thanks to the adoption of a flat li-po battery, and an overall design that minimizes the profile of the light.

The Nitecore EDC27 measures 135 mm in length, and is 31,5 mm wide, but only 14,2 mm in thickness. That is around the thickness of a AA battery, and less than the thickness of the 1xAAA flashlight I used to carry in my EDC.

The display is clearly readable, both during the day and in the darkness, and it displays the brightness level and lumens, and remaining runtime. It is readable also when the display is tilted

The surface on the larger sides is overall flat with minimal gripping elements, while the sides have some knurling inserts to improve grips.

Near the tailcap there’s also an element with some knurling, like a finger ramp. On the side there’s the USB-C port for recharging the battery.

On the tailcap there are the 2 electronic switches, one is flush with the surface of the tailcap, and the other protrudes quite a bit. They both are dual stage electronic switch, and can be pushed half way or all the way.

The 2 SST40 emitters, each with its TIR optic. You can see that every smooth surface has been covered by Nitecore with a protective sticker. I like this attention to the details.

The UI

Beamshot

Output and Runtime

My thoughts

The light is well made and finished.

I like the UI with quick access to turbo mode, lowest mode (although only temporarly), strobe and last used mode.

The levels are well spaced and the regulation is fine, although there’s a big jump between the output of the mid mode (200 lumens) and high mode (1000 lumens); I would have liked a 5/600 constant output mode.

I really like the idea behind this light. For years we flashaholics had to choose between relatively large and bulky lights powered by large cylindrical batteries, like 18650, in order to have a light with great output and sufficient runtime; or settle with the relatively under performing batteries like AAA/AA batteries to contain the size of the light. Lately, with the spread of high performing li-po batteries, the market has been flooded by small lights, smaller than regular AAA/AAA powered lights, with high output and decent runtimes, especially in the EDC – Keychain segment. Beside the smaller size and increased output, they offer USB charging capability, better regulation and electronic switches.

Design wise, we moved away from lights that were built around the size and shape of the battery, and we moved towards batteries that were picked to fit within a desired shape and with certain performances.

But not much was available if you wanted to carry the same benefits in an increased size flashlight.

The EDC27 offers high output, sufficient runtime, USB charging, in a format that also allows for bigger EDC/tactical roles, as its increased size and interface make the EDC27 a real flashlight, and far from the (often fidgety) keychain light. The narrow size makes the light much easier to carry, with a narrower profile that also makes it more comfortable to carry, especially using the clip. Speaking of the clip, the now flat profile makes the clip work on a wider area, obtaining a greater grip.

And the profile also makes the EDC27 easier to keep in the hand.

I wish the EDC27 display would stay on, so that I won’t have to press the button to turn it on and see what’s the level and the runtime; and that the light came in warm white / neutral version.

2 Thanks

Nice Flashlight, thanks for the review man !

1 Thank

Looks fun! I would love to see unconventional designs like this from more manufacturers.

2 Thanks