[Review] Nitecore MH25S (Tactical Thrower,1x21700, SST-40, USB-C, double switch)

I received the MH25S from Nitecore for the review
The MH25S is a tactical flashlight, featuring a SST-40 emitter powered by a 21700 battery rechargeable via the USB-C port on the light. The MH25s is controlled by 2 switches on the light.

The MH25S arrives in this box

Content of the box: MH25S, 5000mAh 21700 protected Nitecore battery, sheath, manual, spare o-rings, battery adapter, clip.

The MH25S measures 157 mm in length, and it’s 40 mm wide at the head, and 27 mm at the tailcap. The light weights 205 grams with the provided battery (71 grams).

In the head we find the SST-40 emitter in a deep smooth reflector, under a AR treated glass.

At the head we find both the electronic backlit switch and the USB-C port, protected by a rubber cover.

The body features a portion with rhomboidal knurling, and is glued to the head on my sample.

The positive contact point inside the head is a golden spring, allowing the MH25S to be mounted on rifles, and allowing use with flat top batteries.

The threads are trapezoidal cut and anodized, do physical lockout is possible.

The tailcap has the same rhomboidal knurling seen on the body, and some vertical millings.
The mechanical forward switch at the tailcap allows momentary on, and is exposed for a bigger ease of activation.

The sheath is made in cordura, with Velcro closure. It has a metal D-ring and is MOLLE compatible.

UI

Beamshots
The trees are 100 meters from my position.
The small LED emitter in the larger than average emitter gives the MH25S quite some throw

Output and runtime
Both measured with the provided 5000mAh battery

Here’s a thermal test of the light at turbo mode.

My thoughts
The light is well built and finished.
The levels are well spaced. There is a thermal sensor on the MH25S that limits the output when the temperature is too high, and it works well both at Turbo and High mode. I like that the thermal stepdown at High mode is not so massive, allowing the MH25S to run at more than 800 lumens for almost 2 and half hours. The regulation is flat on the tested levels.
The double UI can accommodate the needs of different users.
I wish the light had a quick access to lowest e/o highest mode.
I wish the MH25S had a battery status built into the backlit switch, and that it would stay on to better see the switch in the dark, since I find a bit difficult to find it because it is black and flush with the head surface.

If you need a light with above average throw, while maintaining a wide and usable spill, with a big battery, the MH25S can suit your needs.

Thanks for reading.
Thanks to: AntoLed, Won, Zampa

Nice light , nice review.

Thanks for the review. I’ve just bought this and really like it on the whole (being picky I’d prefer to ditch the tail switch and have the side switch do everything).

I’ve been trying to find whether there’s a lockout and just read the bit above that says “The threads are trapezoidal cut and anodized, so physical lockout is possible”. Does this mean the only way to lockout the light is to partially unscrew the tail cap?

I have tried this as that’s how it works on the P20ix, however it doesn’t appear to work as well on the MH25s. With the P20ix you only have to unscrew the tail cap a touch and when you tighten it back up it doesn’t turn on unless you click the switch again.

With the MH25s you have to unscrew it further and it seems to me it’s more a case of unscrewing until there’s no contact with the battery because sometimes if you press the switch the light will flicker if not unscrewed much as though it’s making intermittent contact. Also if the tail switch is in the off ‘position’ (not that you can tell this) when you tighten it back up the light turns on without having to click the tail switch again.

If it is more a case of the latter is this a safe state to leave it in? My concern is that if it’s kind of hovering and intermittently making contact it somehow how the potential to cause issues with the battery.

I hope this all makes sense?