Review Nitecore MT2A Pro - EDC Pen Light, 1000lm

Nitecore MT2A Pro was sent to me directly by NITECORE for review.

Immagine

For technical details and to purchase the torch:
https://www.nitecorestore.com/MT2A-Pro- … t2apro.htm

Immagine

Nitecore updates the MT2A Pen Light with a higher performance version that uses the new NiteLab Uhi 20 LED.
I have used the new MT2A Pro a lot these days, with satisfaction, finding it really useful. In particular, I really appreciated the powerful light beam, considering the type of pocket (pen) torch of this size, and the truly effective grip even in rainy conditions.

Immagine

MT2A Pro is a lightweight EDC flashlight (40g), which has a single switch in the tail to manage a total of 3 light levels (Low, Mid and High).
MT2A Pro has a maximum output of 1000 lumens with a maximum throw of 250 meters and is sold with a 1600mAh rechargeable lithium battery in 14100 format rechargeable via the USB-C port with a maximum autonomy of 20 hours. MT2A Pro is a versatile flashlight that can also be powered by two AA batteries.
It is IP68 certified (2 meters submersible) and has impact resistance up to 1 meter.
The compact size and its features make it an ideal companion for many uses such as outdoor activities, camping, night walks, hiking and trekking, emergency, fishing and more.

Main features:

• Uses a UHi 20 LED with a maximum output of 1,000 lumens
• Maximum peak beam intensity of 16,500cd and maximum projection of 255 meters
• A combined optical system with crystal coating and “Precision Digital Optics Technology” (PDOT)
• A single tail switch controls 3 brightness levels
• Powered by a 14100 lithium ion battery compatible with AA batteries, to provide a runtime of up to 20 hours
• Includes a NITECORE 14100 lithium-ion battery (NL1416R 1,600 mAh) with an integrated USB-C charging port
• Highly efficient constant current circuit provides stable output
• Built-in Advanced Temperature Regulation (ATR) module (Patent No. ZL201510534543.6)
• Electronic protection against polarity reversal
• Optical lenses with anti-scratch coating on both sides
• Constructed of aircraft quality aluminum alloy
• HA III military grade hard anodized finish
• Possibility of queue support
• Bidirectional clip included
• Degree of protection against water and dust according to IP68 (2 meters submersible)
• Impact resistant up to 1 meter

Specifications
Length: 142.8mm (5.62")
Head diameter: 19.7mm (0.78")
Tube Diameter: 17.2mm (0.68")
Tail Diameter: 19.5mm (0.77")
Weight: 40g (1.41 oz) (Battery Not Included)

Warranty Service
The defective product can be exchanged for a replacement through a local distributor/retailer within 15 days of purchase. After this, all defective/malfunctioning NITECORE® products can be repaired free of charge within 60 months from the date of purchase. Beyond 60 months a limited warranty applies, covering the cost of labor and maintenance, but not the cost of accessories or replacement parts.

Immagine

Nitecore MT2A Pro arrives in a small dark-colored cardboard box with writings reporting the main features that distinguish it. Inside the package we find, in addition to the Nitecore MT2A Pro with the Nitecore NL1416R lithium battery inside, the Clip, the USB-C charging cable, the **lanyard **, Spare O-ring, manual and warranty. The MT2A Pro display arrives protected by transparent plastic.

Immagine

Immagine

Nitecore MT2A Pro is constructed of aircraft-grade aluminum alloy with military grade HA III hard anodized finish. The body design recalls that of the recent MH12 Pro characterized by a thick texture which gives the MT2A Pro a remarkable grip to maintain a secure grip even with sweaty and wet hands or when wearing gloves.

Immagine

Immagine

The total length is 142.8mm with a weight, with battery and clip, of 86g. It is very simple to insert it into your pocket, jeans or even a pencil case.

Immagine

Immagine

The Bidirectional Clip, which must be inserted in the appropriate space near the tail, prevents the MT2A Pro from rolling.

Immagine

The supplied rechargeable lithium ion battery NL1416R, a Nitecore 14100 1600mAh format with 5A continuous discharge current, is equipped with a USB-C charging port. With this battery the maximum autonomy reaches 20 hours. It is possible to use 2 AA Alkaline or Ni-mh batteries to power the MT2A Pro.

Immagine

Immagine

Charging time is approximately 5 hours. (Charging via 5V/1A adapter). During the charging process, the red charging indicator lights up constantly. When the battery is fully charged, the charging indicator turns solid green.

Immagine

Immagine

At the two poles, for contact with the battery, we find a plated button on the positive side and a spring, also plated, on the negative side. Nitecore MT2A Pro has electronic reverse polarity protection and waterproof and dustproof rating according to IP68.

Immagine

On the head of the Nitecore MT2A Pro we find a smooth bezel and optical lenses with anti-scratch coating on both sides. The LED used is a NiteLab UHi 20 with a maximum power of 1,000 lumens.

Immagine

Immagine

Nitecore MT2A has only one switch in the tail. The rubber button is a decent size with an audible click. At the tail we also find space to insert the supplied lanyard.

Immagine

USER INTERFACE (UI)

Immagine

The user interface of the Nitecore MT2A Pro is simple. MT2A Pro has 2 modes depending on the batteries used. If you use lithium battery you will get 3 levels of brightness while it will only be 2 levels if you use AA batteries. However, an Ultralow level of 1 lumens remains absent.

Istruzioni per l’Uso

Switching On and Off
Turning On: When the light is off, press the tail switch all the way down until you hear a click to turn it on.
Turning Off: When the light is on, press the tail switch all the way down until you hear a click to turn it off.
Brightness Levels
When the light is on, half-press the tail switch to cycle through the following brightness levels: LOW – MID - HIGH.
The MT2A Pro is equipped with a memory function. When it is reactivated, it automatically accesses the previous stored brightness level.
ATR (advanced temperature regulation)
Built-in ATR technology adjusts the MT2A Pro’s output based on working conditions and the surrounding environment to maintain optimal performance.

BEAM and RUNTIME

Nitecore MT2A Pro, in the wall test, has a beam without obvious artifacts with a bright hotspot and a crown with a greenish color. The illumination angle is not wide with peripheral illumination starting after about 1 meter.

Immagine

MT2A Pro has decent power to illuminate up to 100 meters and beyond.

Immagine

From the tests carried out with the OPPLE Light Master Pro, about two meters away from the sensor, the value of the CCT color temperature and the Ra color rendering, in the High level (1000 lumens), is respectively of 5717 for the CCT and of 63.8 for the Ra. The Duv is equal to 0.0118. No PWM visible to the naked eye.

Immagine

Nitecore MT2A Pro with the NiteLab Uhi 20 LED has a decent power allowing a good view of the walk even with the low level of 50 lumens. The values in candela (lux/1 meter), found by me with measurement at 3 meters, reflect those declared by the parent company.

Immagine

Immagine

The Runtimes were carried out in an internal environment with a temperature of approximately 18°C, using the supplied battery (a 1600mAh 14100) fully charged and two Ladda 1.2V 2450mAh Ni-MH batteries.

I would like to point out that the values expressed by the graphs must be evaluated above all as a reference because they were made with means and conditions different from those used in the laboratory.

Data declared by Nitecore (Extract from the user manual)

Immagine
Note: Data shown is measured in accordance with ANSI/PLATO FL 1-2019 international flashlight testing standards.

Also in this case the data taken with the luxmeter correspond approximately to those declared by Nitecore.

Immagine

Nitecore MT2A Pro, with the supplied lithium battery, holds maximum brightness for about two minutes before starting to decrease in power.

Let’s see the first 60 minutes.
Immagine

Link video

CONCLUSIONS

Nitecore MT2A Pro is a well built, lightweight and multi-purpose EDC flashlight.
MT2A Pro has a powerful beam with a bright hotspot and is sold with a 1,600 mAh 14100 format rechargeable battery which allows it to reach a brightness of 1000 lumens.
MT2A Pro has a simple interface having only 3 output levels, with the possibility of using primary AA or Ni-MH cells, and a single switch in the tail. The design and anodization are excellent, in particular the body has a thick texture that gives the MT2A Pro a notable grip. The optics are also good and the beam is clean with a color that is not too cold.
Not positive sides I found the lack of a low level of 1 lumen and the slow charging using the supplied battery.
In conclusion, if you need an EDC flashlight in 2xAA format, the Nitecore MT2A Pro is definitely a purchase worth considering.
Thanks for reading the review.

Immagine

1 Thank

I am sure there are some applications for this light, I am just not seeing it.

Nice review of a very unusual light.

Maybe I missed something. But it seems we can add another battery size to the already long list. I know that there are manufacturers willing and able to make practically any size, if the order is big enough. But what happens when time goes by and you need a replacement for your trusted light. Switch to Eneloop? I’m okay with that but I guess the output of your light isn’t the same as with the original battery that came with it.

My worries are not so big for the larger “new” formats. Tesla has introduced the 4680 format, and we are already sporadically using that, and taller, format(s) in our lights. BMW has recently announced to adopt 4695 and 46120 cells for their future EV’s. So you are more or less future proof with a light that can take a 46120 cell. Maybe you should consider buying some dummies, if your actual cell is a bit shorter than that.
I consider a cell type that’s adopted by the EV industry a safe buy, just because of the sheer mass you need for a single car.

PS. Nice review. Nice light. My only question is: is it future proof?

1 Thank

I have one of these on order and I also have second thoughts about another new battery size. It appears Acebeam also makes a light with this battery size. Also beside using eneloops to power it I’m also going to try a Vapcell 14500 F12 button top with a AA dummy cell.

1 Thank

I have the flashlight about 1 week. Very bright even with the 2AA batteries. Nice beam and high quality. I didnt notice any greenish tint. The only thing i didnt like is that it doesnt have a really low mode.

1 Thank