Review NITECORE P10iX - 4000 lumens, 21700, USB-C

I received the Nitecore P10iX directly from Nitecore for the review.

For technical details: https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/p10ix

For purchase: https://www.nitecorestore.com/NITECORE-P10iX-4000-Lumen-USB-C-Flashlight-p/fl-nite-p10ix.htm

After the success of the P20iX, Nitecore has released, in this period, the new i-Generation tactic, the Nitecore P10iX that we will see in this review.

The P10iX is a very compact tactical flashlight that reaches the maximum brightness of 4000 lumens. The Nitecore P10iX has memory function and has 2 modes: Daily (default) and Tactical. It uses a 21700 size lithium battery, very efficient patented by NITECORE (NL2150HPi 5,000mAh) and like the previous P10i, the P10iX is a purely tactical flashlight with two switches in the queue; one equipped with “STROBE READY” technology with quick activation of the Strobo. The beam of the P10iX reaches 158 meters for over 6250cd. Nitecore P10iX is equipped with 4 CREE XP-L2 V6 LEDs (6500K), has 6 light levels (Turbo, Very High, High, Medium, Low and Ultra Low) plus the special Strobe level and can also be powered by two CR123 / RCR123 batteries via the adapter included in the package. The P10iX is rechargeable via the integrated USB-C port and is IP68 certified (submersible up to 2 meters) with an impact resistance of 2m.

Main Features:

• Uses 4 CREE XP-L2 V6 LEDs with a maximum output of 4,000 lumens
  • A combined optical system with crystal coating and "Precision Digital Optics Technology" (PDOT)
  • Maximum intensity of the peak beam of 6,250 cd and maximum range of 158 meters
  • Highly efficient constant current circuit provides stable output for up to 350 hours
  • Dual tail switches allow intuitive operation for tactical applications
  • STROBE READY ™ technology to allow quick access to STROBE mode
  • STROBE mode uses randomly changing frequencies for stronger dizzying effects
  • Tactical mode and daily mode available
  • Intelligent lithium-ion battery charging circuit with a USB-C port
  • NITECORE 21700 Li-ion battery included (NL2150HPi 5,000 mAh)
  • A power indicator next to the charging port indicates the remaining battery charge
  • The power indicator can display the battery voltage (± 0.1V)
  • Incorporated ATR (Advanced Temperature Regulation) module (patent n. ZL201510534543.6)
  • Optical lenses with scratch resistant coating on both sides
  • Made of aircraft grade aluminum alloy
  • HA III military grade hard anodized finish
  • Waterproof and dustproof classification according to IP68 (2 meters submersion)
  • Shock resistant up to 2 meters

Specifications:

Length: 137.2mm (5.40 ")

Head Diameter: 25.4mm (1 ")

Tube diameter: 25.4mm (1 ")

Tail diameter: 28.5mm (1.12 ")

Weight: 79.5g (2.80oz)

Accessories:

NITECORE 21700 lithium-ion rechargeable battery (NL2150HPi 5,000 mAh),

NTH10 tactical holster, clip, lanyard, spare o-ring, CR123 battery charger,

USB-C charging cable

Technical data

Using a 5,000mAh 21700 Li-ion battery.

Note: Stated data is measured in accordance with ANSI / PLATO FL 1-2019 International Torch Test Standard, using 1 x 21700 (5,000mAh) Li-ion battery under laboratory conditions.

* The autonomy of TURBO is tested without temperature regulation.

The Packaging:

Like the previous Nitecore P20iX, the Nitecore P10iX also comes in a premium package, complete with everything you need, inside a dark-colored rigid cardboard box with writings showing the main characteristics that distinguish it.

Inside the package we find, in addition to the Nitecore P10iX with the battery inside (21700 NL2150HPi 5,000mAh), the Clip, the NTH10 tactical holster, the USB-C charging cable, the adapter for CR123 / RCR123, the lanyard , a spare O-ring, manual and warranty.

In addition to the supplied NTH10 Tactical holster, which allows quick removal of the flashlight, the P10iX is compatible with accessories, sold separately, such as the Tactical Ring Pro NTR10 and the interesting TSL10i tail cap.

Nitecore P10iX in construction reflects the standards to which Nitecore has accustomed us, with good build quality, good finishes and legible writings. The P10iX is really compact being only 137.2 mm long with a well thought-out design and shape that allow for excellent grip in the hand.

It is built in aluminum alloy with an anodized finish, well made, in a glossy black color with a weight of 79.5 grams (without battery). The P10iX consists of two parts: head with body and tail. Note the particular shape of the base of the head useful for limiting rolling. Being the main button of the P10iX very protruding it is impossible to put the flashlight upright (candle-shaped).

On the head of the Nitecore P10iX we find 4 SMO parables with the 4 CREE XP-L2 V6 (6500K) LEDs, the same ones that we find on other Nitecore such as the P20iX and the i4000R. Glass and dish have anti-reflective treatment with PDOT (Precision Digital Optics Technology). Nitecore P10iX is equipped with a slightly crenulated bezel useful for personal defense or, for example, for breaking a glass. The writings are well made.

Also on the head we find cooling fins and the charging port in USB-C format well protected by a very thick rubber flap that provides a valid protection against water and dust.

There is also the blue notification LED which also acts as a residual charge indicator indicating the remaining charge when you insert a battery in the flashlight. The blue indicator also has the function of warning, with quick flashes, when the charge is about to run out.

The P10iX is equipped with an intelligent battery charging system.

During the charging process, the blue charge indicator will flash slowly; when the battery is fully charged, the P10iX will cease the charging process and the charge indicator will stay on steadily.

The charging time for a 21700 (5,000mAh) Li-ion battery found in my tests is less than 4 hours (using a 5V / 2A power supply). When the Nitecore P10iX is charging it cannot be used.

The central body of the Nitecore P10iX has, in part, a rhomboid-shaped non-slip knurling. The spaces where to insert the supplied Clip or the Tactical Ring Pro sold as an accessory are clearly visible on the flashlight body.

In the lower part of the central tube we find the threads that arrive well lubricated and being anodized allow, by slightly unscrewing the tail, the mechanical locking of the torch. There is also a sealing O-ring for protection against water and dust. The Nitecore P10iX is IP68 certified (2 meters submersible).

At the two poles, for contact with the battery, we find a particular contact system for both negative and positive. The P10iX has shockproof reverse polarity protection mechanism.

The battery supplied with the Nitecore P10iX is a protected 21700 (NL2150HPi 5,000 mAh), patented by Nitecore and as I wrote previously, the P10iX accepts only Nitecore proprietary batteries for the "i" (i-Generation) series with double pole both at the head or at the tail or CR123 / RCR123 batteries.

Note:

1 - DO NOT attempt to use the P10iX to charge CR123 / RCR123 batteries.

2 - The P10iX is NOT compatible with conventional 21700/18650 batteries.

3 - TURBO / UP level is inaccessible when using CR123 / RCR123 batteries.

Tactical and modern tail design with two switches. We find the mechanical tactical button to turn the flashlight on or off (On-Off) equipped with the “momentary on” function (which can be operated with the flashlight off). To operate the switch you have to make a fair amount of force and the click is noisy.

Next to this we find the flat-shaped electronic selector (mode) with second generation Nitecore “Strobe Ready” technology. The strobe has a frequency range from 16Hz to 20Hz; frequencies change randomly causing stronger dizzying effects due to the unsuitability of naked eyes.

With this we will select the Strobe with the flashlight off, vary the available levels and instantly access the 4000 lumens Turbo level with the flashlight on.

There are no holes on the tail cap for inserting the lanyard that will be inserted into the Clip.

The new Nitecore P10iX alongside the Nitecore P20iX.

... together with other flashlights:

User Interface (UI):

Nitecore P10iX has 2 queued switches and provides 2 user modes for different uses and situations.

The Nitecore 10iX offers 6 levels of brightness plus the Strobe mode.

• Daily mode (default): In this user mode, there are 6 brightness levels [TURBO, HIGHER, HIGH, MID, LOW and ULTRALOW] and STROBO mode. The P20iX will memorize the last level (TURBO excluded) and the STROBE mode when it is reactivated, unless it has been switched to another user mode.

• Tactical mode: In this user mode, only 4 brightness levels [TURBO, HIGH, MID and LOW] and STROBE mode are available. The P10iX will memorize the last level (TURBO excluded) and the STROBE mode when it is reactivated, unless it has been switched to another user mode.

Note: When using CR123 / RCR123 batteries, there are 4 brightness levels [HIGH (1,060 Lumens), MID (300 Lumens), LOW (50 Lumens) and ULTRALOW 2 Lumens)] and STROBO mode in daily mode. On the other hand, 3 levels of brightness are available [HIGH (1,060 Lumens), MID and LOW] and the STROBO mode in tactical mode.

For the use of the P10iX, please refer to the multilingual manual at the following address:

https://flashlight.nitecore.com/Uploads/FLASHLIGHTS/download/p10ix.pdf

BEAM and RUNTIME:

Nitecore P10iX reaches 4000 lumens in Turbo mode for a few seconds. The beam is of an alluvial nature and allows good lighting at low and medium distances. The average level of 300 lumens is more than enough for walking in the dark in good lighting. The tone of the beam, not particularly cold, has some yellow and greenish tones that are not noticeable in normal outdoor use. To the eye I don't see significant PWM in any of the 6 levels available. The P10iX has good peripheral lighting, the start of the spill from the walk is adjacent to the feet.

The Runtimes were done in a closed environment with an ambient temperature of about 20°C using the supplied battery, a 21700 protected by 5000 mAh, fully charged.Nitecore's built-in ATR technology adjusts the P10iX's output to suit working conditions and environment, to maintain optimum performance.

I would like to clarify that the values expressed by the graphs must be evaluated above all as a reference because they are made with means and conditions different from those used in the laboratory.

Good adjustment of the Nitecore P10iX.

The first test was done by putting the Nitecore P10iX in TURBO mode at 4000 lumens. After the first 20 seconds there is a sudden drop in brightness which settles, towards the minute, at about 600 lumens. This trend is then held for over 200 minutes.

The curve during the first 2 minutes.

Two other tests were made by putting the P10iX in HIGHER mode at 1700 lumens and subsequently in HIGH mode at 850 lumens. Also in this case, as can be seen from the curves, the P10iX is well adjusted allowing a good autonomy.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/voAz-5el120

CONCLUSION:

I liked Nitecore P10iX a lot, I was struck by the extreme compactness and therefore the good portability.

The light power, which reaches 4000 lumens, is not lacking and the 6 levels and the Strobe Ready allow good management of the flashlight.

Good power supply with a 5000 mAh battery as well as regulation and runtime. The Nitecore P10iX also has two switches in the queue, one equipped with "STROBE READY" technology with quick activation of the Strobo and is equipped with the recent integrated USB-C 2A charging port. A note on the “Premium” sales package complete with everything you need to immediately use all the potential of the P10iX.

In conclusion, the i-Generation tactical series expands with this new P10iX that certainly offers excellent quality and performance.

Thank you for reading the review.

------ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI5j6yZ6oVR867k2KINs2qg?view_as=subscriber ------------------------------------------------

So you pay 100$ to have to pay another 25$ for a spare battery?
For 25$ I can get 5 21700s from nkon.nl and for 100$ I can buy 5 Convoy S21A.

Nothing “budget” in here.

Nice pictures, thanks for the review.

I won’t be a buyer of any flashlight with proprietary batteries. Complete nonsense.

A shame it looks like… Well, that.

Also, had a laugh. Extremely compact? It’s 5.4 inches long. No good for my pocket.

Nitecore have changed from constant frequency strobes to alternating frequency, so yet another manufacturer losing sales to light painters.

Yeah, my TM03 needs one of those magic cells, too.

In a pinch, you can jimmy something together with a high-drain cell, a ring+insulator to let the case be accessible as the negative connection at the front, but it’s just easier to use the magic cell. Think it’s protected, too, but at a whopping high current. ie, not the usual protection boards.

Thanks for the review. I been waiting actually hoping for nitecore to release this. It’s compact for a 4000 Lumen strobe ready light.