[Review] Nitecore TM12K (Floodlight, +12K lumens, USB-C, 21700, XHP50)

I received the Nitecore TM12K from Nitecore for the review.

The TM12K is an updated version of the Nitecore TM10K. It features 6 XHP50 LEDs with a max rated output of 12000 lumens, and is powered by an integrated 21700 battery, with a capacity of 4800mAh, rechargeable via USB-C. It features a customizable High lumen mode, with brightness that can go from 400 to 2000 lumens mode in 100 lumens increments, 2 electronic lockouts, and a flashing indicator in the tailcap that can be activated or deactivated depending on the user preference.

The TM12K comes in this box.

The TM12K comes with a sheath, USB-C Charging cable, lanyard and manual.

The TM12K still shares some of the “bricky” aspect of the TM10K, but is smaller, lighter and features grooves milled on the side of the light for an increase in comfort. The TM12K is 108 mm long, is 41 mm wide a thickness of 31 mm and weights 233 grams. Compared to the TM10K, the TM12K is 2 mm shorter and weights 14 grams less.

The 6 XHP50 emitters take life once you remover the blue protective label

There’s the blue color of the AR treatment on the flass.

On the bottom of the light, there’s a checked milled pattern, to improve the grip.

As the TM10K, the TM12K has 2 electronic switches on the side, with an OLED display, and a third electronic switch at the tailcap.

The TM12K has a USB-C Charging port for the integrated 21700 battery as well, with QC2.0 protocol, but instead of the classic USB rubber cover, it features a metal cover, with magnetic closure. Next to the tailcap there’s the lanyard hole.

The OLED display is clearly visible both during the day and in the darkness, and provides useful information: internal temperature, level and output, residue runtime, battery voltage and remaining battery.

The Velcro Sheath

The UI

Beamshots

Output and runtime
Measured with the built in battery.

As with the TM10K, the TM12K adopts an internal sensor for managing the runtime of the Turbo mode. The first time you activate it, with the light cold, it will last the longest; and if you reactivate it continuously after every stepdown, the Turbo mode will last less and less as the light becomes hotter. After a few uninterrupted cycles, the light won’t stay in turbo mode, and you’ll have to wait for it to cool down in order to use the turbo mode again. This test was done at room temperature without any cooling, if you plan to use the light in cooler environments and or without airflow, you’ll get better runtime performances.

Beamshots at 100 meters

My thoughts

The light is well built and finished.

The levels are well spaced, and I like the possibility of setting your custom high level; although there’s a significant gap between the 2000 max lumens of high mode and the 12000 lumens of turbo mode.

The regulation is fine on the tested levels, and the ATR system works.

I really like the interface, with customizable level, instant access to lowest and highest settings, as well as your customizable high mode.

The QC 2.0 was already present on the TM10K and is nice to see it here on the TM12K too. It allows to charge the big internal battery in a short time with an almost universal charging protocol that doesn’t require proprietary cables or adapters.

How does it compare to the TM10K? it’s slightly more compact and lighter, and with the new hand accommodating milling is more comfortable to hold and use; but the biggest differences are surely the increased max output and an even wider beam, with less throw. I don’t have my TM10K sheath handy but I don’t seem to remember it fitting so well the old TM10K; I think the new sheath of the TM12K fits the light better, more snugly.

The new charging port cover is surely more handy: it doesn’t require to fiddle with your nails to dig out of the port the rubber cover, and to press it into it again after you are done with it; although I wonder how it will behave in the event of a fall… but I’m sure it will be as replaceable as the old fashioned rubber port cover. If the light is shaken it will not open by it’s own, it required your deliberate action to get free from the magnetic lock.

I wish the light came with a NW/WW tint

2 Thanks

Very nice review and flashlight, thanks !

Thanks!

1 Thank