Review: Noctigon Meteor M43 6300 lumen 12x XP-G2 Flashlight.

Why are beamshots necessary on anything but a white wall (to see beam pattern) when you can just write down some numbers off your lux meter? That’s like saying outdoor beamshots have little to no value. Plus it actually saves me time. I can verify exactly how long a light runs by hitting record on my camera and leaving. And considering it’s sort of hard to tell what 10% or 5% or 17% on a graph looks like, I feel like it has value. What does 2100 lumens look like versus 2000 lumens? Is there value in that? Does it matter? Can you tell a difference visually? I don’t understand why you don’t understand. I know numerical values will also help too… But I don’t have a lux meter… And I guess the most accurate way someone could tell would be to put a lux meter in the frame to see the percentage, right? I dunno it seems like these sort of things are all very number heavy, when a flashlight is something you turn on and use to view things. You walk around with it and explore, you let it run. Oh and I can do these tests while I’m working on other things, so I don’t have to sit around and wait “x” number of minutes to walk into a room and write down a number. You may disagree- but I sort of skip over graphs… But there are going to be tons of graphs for this light, so you can go look at those graphs and not waste your time watching my run time tests. I completely see the merit in graphs, but what I don’t understand is why you think my particular version of the runtime test has no value, especially when it shows you exactly how a light behaves when you leave it running.

I liked the run time video tests IMHO because it gives a "real life' accounting for what is happening. What could be better than that? Graphs do have meaning, but I prefer an actual, "see it for yourself" result. I think its cooool.. I think these two tests and others have differing values to different people.

Are we good?

I suppose that’s fair.

Anyway, the primary video is very entertaining as per usual. :slight_smile:

I like your work mhanlen… That’s obvious.
Don’t know how an opinion degenerated that way… Anyway I think it’s nice to have choices (meaning: different kind of reviews) otherwise would not make sense for the same light to be reviewed by different persons. It’s a sort of a multiple perspective that gives you the opportunity to make you a better rounded idea. Don’t know if I explained myself.

Btw I find useful both graphs and both videos to be honest. For the motivations I just explained

For the ddt40 I liked to know yours opinion as well as jhonnyMac s as cpfselfbuilt.

And always…. Thanks for all the efforts

I agree man. You can look at one of their reviews, look at the graph, then go to my review and see what that graph means visually. I feel like there’s merit in that.

No problem, man… sorry sometimes I get a bit defensive. I try to do stuff other people aren’t doing. I could do the graphs but why would anyone want to see my review over anyone elses? Plus, it’d take me forever to do a review if I integrated all of that… and I’m trying to make an interesting video and not cover the same ground as other people have done.

Good Day mhanlen,

Great, Valuable, & Unique review.

Thank you Very Much,

George

mhanlen

would you be able to measure the length of your Sanyos please?

and did anyone measure the length of the LG HE2 that came with the Meteor?

Thanks

great video!

thanks for sharing!

I was able to measure my Sanyos, but unfortunately the light is on it’s way to JMPaul so I can’t measure the LGs. My Sanyos were 69.05 protected cells and they worked just fine.

:) Yeah, of course, I mashed up a bit the M43 specs with my SC52 from being quite tired at that moment.

Basically 1 fast click for High, 1long click for Low. Pressing too long will start the cycling, nice thing is you can double click the low and get moon. Perfect that's it, that is all I need and if I need more I know there is more there, but again that is quite perfect.

Older models like the SC52 do not have the direct access to Medium.
But that "Medium" can exist actually on the M43. Set the Double click to Mid not High mode, so then you have form OFF: Low Mid Turbo and of course from any on mode you have Turbo, quite simple for me.

Yeah I quite agree with you. Mostly what I find about beamshots on the internet they all are at high contrast, having reduced dynamic range in the shot, some being quite unrealistic, the hotspot is burning the ground and the corners barely illuminated, that comes of course from various reasons one of which is dynamic range of the cameras is weak or user setting at + constant, etc.

But even real life experience is not all identical, it is based on the environment, I mean I see many people taking beamshots from the apartments. In my experience trying to use flashlights in an urban area is redundant, while in the darkest place possible in a heavily wooded area with heavy clouds at night you don't even need more than a "medium light", here I am referring to generally lights on the floody side.

my wife liked the video!

8)

The dynamic range of my black magic is something like 13-stops. Which is fine when the camera has enough light, but it’s still not the best in low light… you can see the grain/noise in the beamshot section. The problem is having enough light that makes the frame look reasonably interesting. This light was no problem, but I remember when I did the Imalent SA04, it having a bit of a problem so I had to shoot in a bit more light. The smaller lights do well in enclosed areas or with lots of objects relatively close, but empty spaces at night… even sometimes the Meteor still wasn’t enough light. All my shots were color corrected and saturated, but I try to keep everything natural. I usually keep my white balance at 4000k when shooting with just the light a flashlight provides, because it allows you to see the tints in warmer and cooler lights… and it seems to look very nice with lights known to have a NW tint.

Now that’s saying something!

You guys have the same wife?

You sound more and more comfortable on your voice-overs/commentary.

Another very informative review that doesn’t take itself too seriously! The Tom Cruise comment was gold, I tell ya…comedy gold!

Nicely done!

Hey, I didn’t say my wife liked the videos!

I’m trying to get away from the boring sounding schtick… I actually recorded the commentary twice, because I wasn’t happy with with my tone the first time.

I’m on a few different forums of various interests and have watched my share of youtube video reviews. I watched your Acebeam K40M review a few months back on my ipad before purchasing one and my wife was in the room. Yesterday I was watching this review and she overheard and was laughing at the commentary and asked, is that the same guy that reviewed that light you ended up buying? I said yes. She said I like his reviews, he’s funny.

Keep doing what you’re doing and don’t change a thing. If you can take someone like that who does not care about the subject and have them remember you a few months later, that’s an accomplishment! Out of the hundreds of reviews I have watched over the years with the wife in the room, I can honestly say that has never happened.

I’m glad one of my reviews helped you! The Acebeam is a nice light… it’s a bit big, but that’s about the only drawback. I think I have settled into a formula with the reviews… about the only thing I continually like to improve is the quality of the video and my narration. Thanks for the support!

I’ve watched this review 3 or 4 times now. I’m having flashlight envy. The 2150 Lumens of my Nitecore EC4S are not providing the HOLY CRAP factor that I was hoping for. I’m torn between The Meteor or the new MT26GT. Any suggestions? I Wish we had a group buy going on the M43…Not that’s it isn’t already a steal.

Great Vids btw!