Review of Imalent DN70 (with coupon code) and DN35 comparison

The link work but i couldn’t see find any DN70 light except a DN70 in your lightbox setup using PVC pipe.
no problem Terry much appreciated.

BTW how reliable is you lightbox setup? i was thinking of building my own setup?

There is really gopd video footage of both lights on my YouTube channel.

If you need me to I will shoot some later just so you can see them compared to ea j other and even other lights of simular set up

Awesome! :smiley: That should be more than enough comparison. Thank you.

Hey gang…. Sorry about all the missing photos… I am still moving 10 years of hosted images and tracking down the image with the new URL from a different hosting site.

This is not why I am posting. I am posting because I found something tonight just by chance.

I purchased 2 Purple Efest 26650 cells for a ThorFire S70S. They have just a tiny pit of a raised top so I decided to try one of them in my Imalent DN35 and DN70. The Efest cells are a couple of mm shorter than the cells that Imalent provides with the lights but the slightly raised top makes up the difference.

I got an immediate jump in lumen output. Both are still under what is claimed but both are much closer.

The DN70 got as high as 3300 lumen only once. That is around 600 to 800 higher than using the Imalent cells.

The DN35 hit 1849 Lumen. That is much closer than previous readings.

I purchased the Purple Efest 26650 cells from Mtn Electronics and the price is as good or better than anywhere I have seen. I know I can trust these guys…

If you decide you want to give the Efest cells a try here is the URL http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=354&search=EFST26650-PURPLE

At that price I will probably order a couple more just to have them on hand.

Hope this helps..

Terry

Thanks a lot for the update Terry. I really appreciate the figures! :partying_face:

Is it a matter of the unprotected Efest having a lower internal resistance than the protected Imalent cell?

That always creates a boost in output.

Happy to be of service lol... I am just happy myself that I thought to even try. I can't promise how long it will hold those numbers but that Efest pushed it hard enough to make it much closer...

Kind of knew we needed a better cell and an unprotected one if possible... Most just do not fit... Either just a tiny bit too short to stay in constant contact with the board and others were just too long...

I just got lucky with the Efest... It happen to fit I guess because it has that raised top.. Not quite flat and not quite button.

Believe it or not the resistance is very close.. Efest runs between 24 and as high as 31... The Imalent as low as 30 and a high as 36...

Either way it did make for better lighting..

Imalent and Thrunite have been my most reliable lights.

Had problems with Lumintop, Nitecore, Acebeam, Skylumen, Olight and MecArmy.

The DX80 also had many issues. It was recalled and a new driver was designed. Even after that the chargers still keep burning up. It makes me never want to buy an Imalent.

The DN70 (which I really wanted initially) was even on sale recently for $50. I passed on it.

True. But… Ever since the recall, I have not read about a single case of a failed DX80…

Remember the guy who got his new DX80 head back and then it promptly smoked up the reflector and lens? If the power is on and you twist the battery tube to shut it off or mechanically lock it out, then tighten the tube to apply power, it smokes the driver. He was asking for other people to try it to see what would happen and no one would do it.

Asking people to potentially ruin their light. You can’t ask that! Lol

Was that from the second batch?

I think so, because it was recent. If I’m wrong, maybe someone can correct me.

Ok apart from that case, I was expecting more defects from “normal use” so to speak, and that doesn’t seem to be the case. Honestly I’m a bit baffled, but that’s only good for Imalent of course.

I've used my DN70 every day for around 6 months now without any issues at all.

50 bucks is below dealer cost that I was offered if I had decided to sell them in our Amazon store... I decided not to sell them only because there is no way I could compete with the prices of Asian retailers.

Terry, can I ask what is your youtube channel name. Just interested to check it out.

Never mind my 1st question. New to budgetlight. Didn’t realize you were the one that started this thread. Clicked on your vid. I’ve put a ton of reviews up on youtube myself.

^ Awesome DX80 video! Welcome to BLF! :partying_face:

Cool... Nice to meet you and welcome to BLF...

I do some guitsr (Acoustic Martins mostly) and other videos related to music. 15 years ago My reviews on the Bugera 6262 amplifier and the new Schecter C1 FloydRose both actually got so much attention that Guitar world picked up the reviews and posted them on their site.

Now I mostly just post videos of light shots, I like seeing a review with live shots.

That is actually my second YouTube channel, I closed the first about 5 years ago... Don't ever do that lol. MY subscribers are finally beginning to grow so I am getting better camera gear. I hope it continues to grow.