Review: Opus BT-C3100 ("dreamcharger!")

Try peeling back the sticker over the fan and apply some lube. Worked for me.

BTW, all fans seem to need this eventually.

I will try that. Anyone find a good replacement fan with good bearings That do not fail after maybe 20 hours of use?

I might just put a big fan underneath and add some legs. Something else that may be easier is get a small cooler made to sit under laptops. I have thought about that for all of my network equipment. How can things just moving around bit streams make so much heat?

Lousy sleeve bearing typical of these little fans. I lubed mine before I even used it for the first time to minimize wear down the road. The sooner you lube it, the better.

It kinda sounded like the controller of the fan was doing something odd. It struck me as being varying the fan speed. But the exposure was brief; and I would not believe my impression if someone told it to me.

I had some strange and lots noises too, like a big vibration, can’t explain it. i stopped it, and went ok. It happened too with other fans in other appliances, loks like a common problem with cheap fans.
is kind of a vibration caused by an unbalanced spinning, I stop it and let it spin again, and it is ok again
I didnt lube it, but i’m doing it in a moment…

We’ve had this discussion at length in the other opus thread.

Plain and simple, the fans were not properly lubricated. There is a little dab of grease behind the label but it didn’t get put on the shaft.

You can fix this with a light oil. I ended up getting a new fan from gearbest under warrantee and the new fan worked fine right off the bat. Same fan, just lubricated properly.

If you want to see what to expect, here is some pix:

Hello,

i`m using this charger for a while for puttung 18650 cells from dead laptop packs back to life and test them for remaining capacity.

I charged/discharged about 400 cells withihn the last months and for the last 100 cells, i`m getting more and more problems with cells getting hot while charging and they never reach 4.2v. They seem to get “stuck” at 4,13-4,15v and getting so hot that i manually stop the charging process. The charger does not seem to detect that they get full and it seems it does not correctly switch from constant current to constant voltage mode.

I double checked this with cells which already where successfully charged/discharged and some of them show the same behaviour - they get extremely hot while charging. It seems it does a little bit depend from which slot they are in. When doing the internal resistance test i can see variations of up to 25% in the value being shown.

I`m getting the impression that there is something wrong with the opus charger and it`s showing sort of “aging” symptom, i.e. i suspect that the internal voltage or current measuring circuit got out of adjustment.

Has somebody here observed something similar after heavy usage of the charger?

Can the charger be re-calibrated or do i need to return it to the dealer, as it`s within warranty timeframe ?

thank you
roland

That’s not good news, and I’d get a replacement if I were you.

Have you measured the actual charge voltage with a multimeter when the cells are overheating?

It is most likely the cells.

Just because over discharged cells charge it up does NOT mean they are still good. I have noticed over discharged cells SEEM to be OK after they are first charged up. They charge up to near full voltage, don’t get warm and test out at near full capacity. However after several charge-discharge cycles, the damage that occurred when they were first over discharged starts to show up. With each successive charge-discharge cycle , capacity drops significantly, they start to get warm upon charging and discharging. That could be from an increase in internal resistance or internal leaking. Also they will not charge up to full voltage. If they get “stuck” on 4.13v on charging, it means they are leaking internally at the charge rate! That cell has become a 4 watt resistor (heat source). You have witnessed all of these signs and it could mean your cells are damaged. That would also mean that they are dangerous.
Until you sort out what is wrong, I think you should remove them from any living space in case something bad happens. I would store them in a way that if something bad did happen, it would not be a problem to life or property.

I have no problem talking to you like this because when I first came across Lithium cells I was ignorant. I did something REALLY stupid and could had a big problem. I was lucky though and nothing bad happened. Now that I have a little more knowledge I am more careful and aware of some of the dangers in dealing with them. There are plenty of resources here for learning more. At the bottom of the first post in this thread is a good start, and there are many others.

Of course it still could be your charger and you should check on that too.

dchomak, thank you for your advice. i know about the danger of the cells from dead battery packs, but your information is quite new to me, especially regarding the “degradation after they appear good at a first impression”. very interesting and very valuable information!

i will do further testing with cells i already selected as “good” and see if i can confirm what you tell and to see if the problem is related to the cells.

as i`m not completely sure it`s up to the charger was the reason why i was asking here, but i could not explain why charging the first 300 cells did not show so a high rate of overheated cells and now it happens more and more with cells that just got extracted from dead packs. that`s really weird, as the packs mostly come from the same source and should not be so different….

sure, i handle all the cells with care and try to store them as secure i can, and that`s neither in my bedrom nor within my flat at all

Has anyone seen the OP?

Is chloe a girl woot?

My 2’0 started reaving voltages kiwer and lower…

But charged up to 4.3 V measured with the dmm
I do not trust him any more!

…so i ordered a 2.2 :wink:

Sounds like a component in the voltage read-back loop is failing over time. It is not a direct reading… more like an averaging function.

This is a really scary development! Thanks for posting it.

i don`t want to tell that opus is a bad charger, so far i`m very satisfied with it, but i have made the observation that something is happening which did not happen before and i just want to know if somebody made a similar experience.

rethinking twice, i also have the impression, that the issue concentrates around Sanyo/UR18650[XX] type of cells (red shrink wrap, coloured top)

Problem is that cells should never go hot. If the Sanyo cells are bad, then there is the issue. If it is killing other cells, its the charger.

apparently, it`s the charger.

i have measured the following while charging with 1A when 3 of 4 cells start getting hot. 1st slot is ok,charging current dropped down to 300mA while the other 3 slots are still at 1A. i think the values below explain….

voltage on charger lcd - voltage measured with multimeter

4.17 - 4.20
4.14 - 4.19
4.13 - 4.19
4.14 - 4.19

Is your fan working properly?

There is nothing seriously wrong with the numbers. Li-Ion can tolerate 4.25 max so even with the reading error, it seems you are still within tolerable (yet uncomfortable) limits.

It could be that the cells are not getting hot from the charge, but getting hot from the heat coming up from the charger.

fan is working properly

regarding charing at 1.5 and 2 amps in slot 1 and 4.

can i start charging in both slots at 2 amps and then insert cells into the middle two banks and do a discharge at 1 amps ?

or above cheat is not working ?

i have v2.2

Is it possible to see how much mah there is left in a battery?