Review: RayOVac "Value Bright" 10x LED 6v Floating Lantern

don’t forget that this light is floating on water,how many of our light got that feature :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t forget it is great at tail stands too……invaluable on a night stand… and doubles as a cash stash the wife wont suspect 8)

So who’s up for the GB?

If you bought ten of these, you could mod them into a larger version of itself with a roll of duct tape. Might make a great night light…

use xp-g, at low current they rival xm-l for output and are much cheaper. How high can you run them without heatsinking, that i cannot answer

I can tell you XP-G at 1400mA run REAAAALY hot!

Possibly a thin sheet of brass with XP-G’s on copper sinkpads adhered to it…but where will the heat go inside the rubber case

I was thinking of XP-G running at 100mA

Good old Ultrafire 501b to the rescue:
:smiley:

Or I could melt 10 of them into one big $50 lump & still not make as much light as a $10 501b.

As for the night light, I’d be afraid I’d hurt my toes!

I sit here smiling thinking to myself thinking why? Why bother buy this, why bother try and mod it, why bother to post about this? We have all done this and will no doubt do it again. Thanks for taking one for the team and glad this time it was not me. Why, why, why?

Ummmm…

No.

You bring up a Good Question, though.

I just quintuple-checked the XP-G datasheet (the one I’ve saved locally and the online one) and cannot find any direct correlation between current and temperature, at “spec” levels. I’m not even sure I could infer it from the datasheet…

Have any of you guys ever run an XP-G (as much as I don’t want “throw”, it does look like that’s a better fitment choice than XM-Ls) at spec current (.35A) to see what thermal equilibrium is?

Just hanging in the air (which will probably be a better thermal path than this flashlight), at .35A, how hot would an XP-G get when it stopped getting hotter?

I’m starting to remember why I never did like Ray-O-Vac…

Because that smile might just turn into a laugh, and if one or two of you got a half-decent laugh over this, it was well worth the six bucks.

We’ve all been way too serious lately. Have a Good Laugh on ol’ Uncle Dimbo and let that brighten your world a little!

Assume 100% of the energy will be come heat, its more like 70% but better to over engineer your device, at 350mA with no heatsinking i believe it will desolder itself form the star if left on for enough time.
I would stay at 100mA or even 50mA each if i were you and sink it, even if its just to the FR-4

Yeah! Maybe I could put some purple ones around the perimeter & a white one in the middle, so the beam OTF would look like a Cree!

These ones aren’t as expensive as your suggestion. In fact, if I didn’t have to eat 90 useless (to me) LEDs, that’s almost interesting… Anyone have any experience or ideas as to the real-world output of them?

10 mililumens each?

Order one of those cheap large-diameter FT reflector/emitter combos. Those are great for modding up these cheapy primary-cell floodlights...

Might not make much heat at all 100mA ain’t alot

I got some of these for a very low power joule thief…crazy bright for such a small package and such small current
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1089204
(single led on a 1.5vdc joule thief bright enough in pitch black for getting around but not that impressive (about as bright as a few candles burning)…but it did run almost 11 days straight on a single AA)

It looks as if the white ones from your link are running quite a few mcd’s so they might just work out
3.2-3.4vdc driving volts 5000-6500 K on temp 16000-20000 mcd (milli candella 1000candela = roughly “one’ candlepower) 10 120-140 degree light (well with reflector might clean it up…
Per the above 16,000mcd at 130 degree, calculates to 58 lumen…hmmm
http://led.linear1.org/lumen.wiz

I thought I’d “do the right thing” and give Ray-O-Vac some constructive criticism, so I went to their WWWeb page & filled out the only “Contact” form they provided.

Here’s what I wrote. Please tell me if you think I was out of line:

I put in my real E-mail address because I was (was) mildly interested in what they’d have to say. When I hit [Submit], I got a blank page stating this:

I guess they Really Care.

Now I think I’ll stop by Wally & just get a refund. That seems to be the only way Ray-O-Vac will ever get to know about this. Maybe I’ll put the money into a brace of CR123s for SWMBO’s upgraded 2CMag…

Keep calm and keep laughing with me (or at me). It’s all good in Dimbo’s world! But test the flashlights WalMart sells, just to be safe!!!

thats the idea, there is no real heatsinking possible in that ‘host’ so heat needs to be kept as close to zero as possible, and 100mA is 1/3 of one watt and there will be 10 chips so he will still get about 500 lumens from all the chips put together