Review: RayOVac "Value Bright" 10x LED 6v Floating Lantern

Or 2 nano-foot-lamberts? What’s the conversion from mililumens to nano-foot-lamberts anyway?

I laugh, to keep from screaming bloody horror…

Your really being a jerk there, i would tell them they should put lumen and cri values on every light they sell, they are just going to write you off as a raving [insert word here] and ignore you even if the form did send.

Thanks! That is exactly the tone I was trying for.

They did put their Lumens (“85”) and Throw (“410ft”) claims on the label, but I think they forgot the decimal points. Honest typos?

To their credit, I’d bet they get a lot more than 45 hours out of that huge lump of battery.

Full disclosure, I tried a lot of different ways of filling out their form, and got the same results each time. That makes me a little crazy!

thats insane, there is no way those can have 85 lumens, unless they are on fire

I loved the letter it’s a shame it didn’t go through

Best laugh all day reading that :bigsmile:

What??? No Nichias?

I’ve been thinking about this topic…
Somehow I understand the urge to buy cheap crap to (want to) improve it.
And that’s how crap like this ends up on my wishlist…
You could put 10 of these in your Big Bright Buoyant Blaster, and let them be current limited by 2x 7315.
2 Watts and 200+ Lumen. :slight_smile:

Actually it’s only TWO of them, since the link you pasted is to a 5-pack. That’s a $3 solution that works!

They max at .04A, with a 3.8 Vf, so it would have to be 1S10P (i.e. no need to mod the mount plate), but a 6v lantern battery could provide >7A at 1C, so you’re right — I’d need some serious Ilim. I worry that burning off the excess 2.2v would melt the plastic… The existing Ilim resistors, wee wires and wonky connections might even be enough… Engineering-wise, we’re already hammering the price-performance limit without the 7315s.

I may revisit this if the job situation turns around, but I needed gas money so this one went back to Wally. :^(

Sorry I didn’t update the thread.

Yes, 2 x 5 = 10 :stuck_out_tongue:
Pity the battery was 6 Volts, not 4.5
Was probably wisest to return it… :wink: