Review request for HKJ [Chargers]

Thanks, just what I was looking for.

EDIT- the circuit design seems to have changed a bit, the one you reviewed only has one chip while all the ones I’m finding online (both type C and micro USB) have 3 chips on them:

I assume it performs the same but I wonder what those extra chips are for.

nvm, I just realized I could simply go directly from driver to the battery and there would be no current draw limit.

The ‘out’ seems to be for attaching other devices that use the 5v USB power:

The out terminals have battery protection and that is also what defines the current limit (There is no problem drawing higher current that you charge with, at least not in the short run).

Oooh ok that makes sense.
So I guess the protection is what those two extra chips are for, right?

If my flashlight driver needs 6 amps then I should probably pull straight form the battery, not from the ‘out’.
Also most drivers have protection already built in :slight_smile:

The chips are: One charge chip, one protection chip and one mosfet to turn battery on/off (Protection chip cannot do it by itself).

Interesting, thanks!

Not sure if this device counts as a charger or what:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Vapcell-BC-A20E-Electronic-Load-Battery-Capacity-Tester-Lithium-Iron-Lithium-Ternary-Charge-and-Discharge-Instrument/1084158_32965660953.html?spm=2114.12010611.8148356.14.340e1e8fRPKVfs

Looks crazy though

This is a 20A electronic load.

Looks good, but not too impressive actually.

+1, this is one of the very few chargers that got my attention for the past couple years. Weird thing is it says it supports QC3.0 yet the input voltage is fixed on either 5v or 12v. Seems like a QC trigger module to power up a dual input converter.

I am working on the Nitecore chargers with QC and I have one QC charger from another brand in queue.

Would love to see some 1 x 18650 DIY powerbanks tested. Similar to the Thrunite C2, could we get this Klarus CH1X tested?

Any news for Liitokala Lii-PD4? It is on the road map?

The PD4 review was finished long time ago, but due to a bunch of Nitecore and other chargers I have received the publishing is postponed.

Thank you HKJ, I hope you will release the review shortly. I am not going to buy without reading a review first. :slight_smile:

Maybe I ought to publish two charger reviews some weeks to catch up with my queue of finished reviews (I have more than 10).

I’d like to know how good (or bad) are the basic lithium-ion battery chargers bundled by some Sofirn (and Thorfire) flashlights:

They look like this:

The Thorfire bundled one has a “Thorfire” label, whereas the Sofirn one is labeled “Li-poiy” charger, but everything else on the label look exactly the same.

Or maybe a similar charger has already been reviewed?

The charger is available stand-alone from Sofirn’s AliExpress store:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/26650-18650-16340-14500-10400-Rechargeable-Battery-Universal-Charger-USB-Charger-for-battery/2933049_32806385679.html

I wouldn’t personally use them, but some things I’ve noted for the charger:

- they seem to not charge when the inserted battery is already nearly full (eg. around 4.10v+ battery inserted into charger, the charger will indicate “green” and doesn’t seem to charge); so it seems can only charge when battery is a bit more depleted (I’m sure at 3.9v, the battery will start charging; I haven’t found what voltage it starts to charge and not charge).

- do they have reverse polarity protection?
(I didn’t try inserting battery in reverse to see if it would burn or do other bad things — what may happen if a charger like this does not have reverse polarity protection?)

• also wondering if they are solar-charger compatible?

I am not looking for chargers to review just now, first Nitecore send me 6 chargers, then another brand send me 8 and I also got a couple of other chargers.
You are, of course, welcome to remind me in a few months, if you are still interested in a review (I will also look in this thread when I am running low on chargers and may see it there).

H, I have just started playing with a charger titled “Allmaybe TC2”. It seems a worthwhile successor to my excellent Xtar VC2. It does Li and Nimh and has a useful test function that charges, reads discharge maH, and recharges. I would like to recommend it for your waiting list. Thanks.

I wrote that review some time ago, but have not published it yet.

Hope to see the review of the AllMaybe TC2 really soon… :slight_smile: