Review: Sky Ray 3800 3 x XM-L

Maybe it's best to start a new thread, since this one is supposed to be about the Skyray. Or, you could continue on in this thread (although it went off-topic):https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/3022

Posted info on the TH TR-3T6 thread referenced above.

Two days ago I got thicker lens from DX as the original lens was rattling. Today my light short circuited again and fried both springs (if not something else too). I'm done with it. It's spare parts now.

P.S. mine was the early version

Sorry to hear that Mattjazz, think better not open the stuff to take pictures etc..... Like some portable lasers too, the wires will twist and some builts are not mean to be disassembled once assembled. Switching on the driver without load most times may fry the driver too, etc....

I decided to give it one more try. Symptoms were the same as the first time it shorted - I measured resistance between body and battery spring on driver and got some ohms which means it's shorted. After removing reflector the leds shined. So I placed insulation tape on the bottom of reflector. Light works again and I hope it stays this way. I just have to change the switch which seems to have suffered from high current (light blinks when shaken).

it turned out to be a good choice and is truely regulated

its a screw in and does the job well.

i started a thread here about them

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/3304

i would sugest people to look into the TrustFire TR-3T6 Triple XM-L Smile

Many of us already have the TrustFire TR-3T6 Triple XM-L and Yes it's a really nice light, glad you like it too.

A friend of mine received his SR3800 today. I thought I would do some tailclip measurements. With his brand new Trustfire 2350mAH batteries I got the following readings

Hi - 3.6A

Med - 1.5A

Low - 0.15 A

For my calculations this give him a lumen reading OTF of around 3500. Not bad. Looked pretty good as well. The battery resting voltage was around 3.8V each.

I then put in my own XTAR 2900 18700s (that I bought through this forum). These showed just over 4V each. The high current was only around 2.6A. The light out the front still looked about the same. I was wondering why the big difference in current? Is it because of the higher initial voltage? Mind you, this was at initial turn-on, so these readings might have altered after some use.

Or worse - are the Trustfire 18650s better batteries than the XTARs?

try only doing tail cap readings with fully charged batteries the low voltage will give you a higher reading and under load they will have drop a lot lower due to voltage sag witch inturn will give higher then normal readings.

XTARs most likely hold up better under load hence the lower reading thats more likely closer to the real draw, im sure others will chime in.

Cheaper batteries will give higher tail cap readings. Trust me - the xtars are way better.

also batteries that aren't fully charged will do the same. I hit 4a with my xtars when they were 3.85 V

I received today a packet from DX. It was supposed to be FandyFire STL-V6 (thrower), it had correct sku both in envelope and packet, BUT inside the packet was a FandyFire STL-V2(!!)

Of course I wasn't happy at all, but out of curiosity decided to compare it to my existing V2 (which is equal to SkyRay 3xT6 rev1) and surprise, surprise: It's not "drop in"-design any more!

The reflector & pill assembly is screwed (& glued?) in and heat transfer seems to be good. I didn't want to spoil the light as it's going back to DX anyways, so I decided not to try to open it any further.

OTOH, also the current draw was surprisingly low: Tailcap current on high was less than 2A, about 1.9A IIRC.

So, it seems they have redesigned the light for better reliability, and sacrificed some lumens at the same time.

Very good info, thanks for the input. It could well be that the complaints reached the main OEM factory and they changed the values.

Wow that was a little confusing to read at first, had to re-read it twice and now I understand.

You ordered the Model "FandyFire STL-V6" and received a "FandyFire STL-V2" model, regardless of SKU # I'd agree it's not what you ordered, while DX may be still using the same SKU the model on the product they sent you is not what you ordered. So Yes they should take it back, now I wonder about the return shipping charges??

They should have instead contacted you and said that the "FandyFire STL-V6" is no longer available and offered to send you a "FandyFire STL-V6" or give you the option to cancel the order.

I wonder if the same thing is happening now on the SkyRay version??

Oha doesnt sounds good... Ordered a FandyFire STL-V6 too :) Since 3 days on "order received" state... Maybe you could share what DX says to their fault... Dont want to receive a V2 too :(

You ordered only 3 days ago? That's no problem at all, in-fact your lucky then; just go back and change the order to Canceled, very easy on DX. Wheeas with MF you have to email them, as currently they don't have an automated way for the buyer to click & cancel.....DX does.....so click away :)

I suppose it wasn't DX's fault. Most probably they just had received a V2 in V6's box from OEM / factory.

I filed in a "wrong item received"-case today, will let you know what's their answer..

I bought mine in the same timeframe. Hope it's an isolated incident.

DX promised to send me a new V6. "Pending" at the moment..

I decided to keep the V2 as a compensation of one earlier defective light, so I have now two of them.

Good customer service, once again. Thank you DX!

Sounds good :) But seems they are running out of stock.. My V6 is still on "order received" for 8 days now :(

i noticed that last night the new 4300 sky rays, if they dont perform any better then the first ones rev0 rev1 rev2 i would recomend the TrustFire TR-3T6 Triple XM-L (3x18650) as its cheaper but its truely regulated and should give longer run times with less heat and it does realy well with heat and long run times.

there is a TrustFire TR-3T6 Tripple XM-L 2x18650 thats has a claimed to be 2.5 amp regulated, just 0.5 amp less then the 3 x 18650 and both can run on 2 x 18650,s.

im not trying to rock the boat so to speak or upset the people who have brought the skyrays but these TR-3T6 are truely regulated draw less current over long runs and have better heat soak then a drop in so they should give longer run times and last longer.

lets hope the sky ray 4000 and 4300 have improved and blows the TR-3T6 away i have done some 30 and 45 min running draw test,s on the TR-3T6 if any one is intrested

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/3304