Review: Sky Ray 3800 3 x XM-L

You ordered only 3 days ago? That's no problem at all, in-fact your lucky then; just go back and change the order to Canceled, very easy on DX. Wheeas with MF you have to email them, as currently they don't have an automated way for the buyer to click & cancel.....DX does.....so click away :)

I suppose it wasn't DX's fault. Most probably they just had received a V2 in V6's box from OEM / factory.

I filed in a "wrong item received"-case today, will let you know what's their answer..

I bought mine in the same timeframe. Hope it's an isolated incident.

DX promised to send me a new V6. "Pending" at the moment..

I decided to keep the V2 as a compensation of one earlier defective light, so I have now two of them.

Good customer service, once again. Thank you DX!

Sounds good :) But seems they are running out of stock.. My V6 is still on "order received" for 8 days now :(

i noticed that last night the new 4300 sky rays, if they dont perform any better then the first ones rev0 rev1 rev2 i would recomend the TrustFire TR-3T6 Triple XM-L (3x18650) as its cheaper but its truely regulated and should give longer run times with less heat and it does realy well with heat and long run times.

there is a TrustFire TR-3T6 Tripple XM-L 2x18650 thats has a claimed to be 2.5 amp regulated, just 0.5 amp less then the 3 x 18650 and both can run on 2 x 18650,s.

im not trying to rock the boat so to speak or upset the people who have brought the skyrays but these TR-3T6 are truely regulated draw less current over long runs and have better heat soak then a drop in so they should give longer run times and last longer.

lets hope the sky ray 4000 and 4300 have improved and blows the TR-3T6 away i have done some 30 and 45 min running draw test,s on the TR-3T6 if any one is intrested

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/3304

I also ordered the fandyfire (fannyfire?) thrower. Hope it is the correct model.

Not so good luck with two skyray lights; 3800 and 4000. I'm done with skyrays.

you should of whent for the TrustFire TR-3T6 Triple XM-L T6

im looking for a good buget thrower with atlest a 80 mm head

No kidding…

looks like manafont sell a replacment driver for the TR-3T6

Triple T6 Cree Circuit Board Driver

it might work for the burnt out sky rays...

The Trustfire 3T6 driver might not fit. This is because the Sky Ray SR3800 has a circular disc which serves as a dummy PCB which connects to the actual circular driver. This 3T6 driver already has components on that circular disc. So to use the SR3800 retainer ring you'd have to use that original SR3800.

Now if you are thinking of using just the whole 3T6 driver and do away with the retainer ring, you can't have contact. Coz the Trustfire 3T6 has an outer spring which makes contact with the -ve host body instead of the retainer clip. This is something which the SR3800 users do not have.

If you are thinking of soldering and modifying the circuit contacts for this 3T6 to fit into the SR3800 dummy PCB for contact, you could....but then you'd run out of cavity space.

I think probably somebody may think of a way, but trust me it isn't going to be easy. I own both flashlights, with the SR3800 on DD coz the driver fried.

It takes around 4.4A-4.6A to get close to 1000 lumen (they top out around 996) with a single XM-L. At 3.6 you're looking at around 900 lumen or 2700 lumen for 3 XM-L directly driven. If the driver is regulated knock off another 20% for driver loss and you're at 2200 lumen. You'd need a directly driven quad XM-L to hit 3500 lumen or higher. :) [quote=kneighbour]

A friend of mine received his SR3800 today. I thought I would do some tailclip measurements. With his brand new Trustfire 2350mAH batteries I got the following readings

Hi - 3.6A

Med - 1.5A

Low - 0.15 A

For my calculations this give him a lumen reading OTF of around 3500. Not bad. Looked pretty good as well. The battery resting voltage was around 3.8V each.

I then put in my own XTAR 2900 18700s (that I bought through this forum). These showed just over 4V each. The high current was only around 2.6A. The light out the front still looked about the same. I was wondering why the big difference in current? Is it because of the higher initial voltage? Mind you, this was at initial turn-on, so these readings might have altered after some use.

Or worse - are the Trustfire 18650s better batteries than the XTARs?

[/quote]

So i got the Fandyfire STL-V2 today but i'm having an odd problem when its on high mode it shuts itself of after 5 or so seconds sometimes more sometimes less. I'm using the Trustfire protected flames purchased at DX, i have 4 and all of them have this problem.

On the med,low,strobe or sos? mode there is no problem.

Anyone have any clues? (i don't own a multimeter) could this Stl-v2 be bad or did i recieve 4x bad 18650?

I don't use them in my 818 just stuck them in to see what it would draw with them. When I use Rev Jim's cells (not protected) or Bestinnone IMR's I have no problems, other than complaints from my neighbors. You should consider getting a MM. 2 cell lights can become dangerious if not used with matching cells (same voltage). Take some time and read some threads here and you will see what I'm getting at. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in and send you in the right direction. It might be that the protection circuit has triped on your TF cells.

sounds like the protection is kicking in.

i brought trust fire flames from here Protected TrustFire 18650 3.7V 2400mAh Rechargeable Batteries - Flame (2pcs/set) and i have no problem with the protection kicking in with high draw and they take there claimed mAh rating and ive tested them with 5 amp bust and the protection does not kick in.

trustfire 3t6 is better

Last time you where from Russia, now you are from Singapore.

That's exactly what the term "global" is supposed to mean. Laughing

I ordered one from them,and link is http://www.lightmalls.com/sky-ray-3-t6-3800lumens-3-mode-memory-flashlight-2-18650

it works ok now,i like it!

yeahh .."global" :)